AirPods Max
Jun 6, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,186 of 5,629
Are those spigen ones still plastic on the inside? Like the material that touches the airpod max cups is plastic right? Just that the outside is lined with some fabric ish material?

It has a support material beneath the fabric. I don't know exactly if it is plastic or some other material, @tinyman392 may be able to tell you.
What I'd love to see, to follow the "bra" metaphor, is basically underwear for the earcups. Just a stretchable (and preferably elegant) fabric with the appropriate holes that you'd slip on the cups. Not to protect them against drops, but scratches / marks, while keeping the whole thing lightweight and slim.

I've been using these silicon ones mainly since the top portion is more open and convenient to interact with the buttons as opposed to other ones with cutouts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SJDZF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the Spigen transparent cups and my pet peeve with most transparent / silicone cups I've seen is how close to the microphones and vents the cover comes, and frequently the cutouts are improperly located, which I'm not sure is a good idea for a pair of headphones that relies so much on its microphones array and vents.

Jun 6, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #4,187 of 5,629
Are those spigen ones still plastic on the inside? Like the material that touches the airpod max cups is plastic right? Just that the outside is lined with some fabric ish material?

I've been using these silicon ones mainly since the top portion is more open and convenient to interact with the buttons as opposed to other ones with cutouts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SJDZF3X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are plastic. There is no lining on them. Think of a thin plastic iPhone case.

Jun 6, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #4,188 of 5,629
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #4,191 of 5,629
Apparently Dolby Atmos and Spatial sound is available on Apple Music right now. Anyone with Apple Music that wants to give their impression? :)
All the news articles say it’ll be available today. Apple says they’ll have playlists and tags for them too, but I can’t seem to find anything as of now.

Edit: none of the albums that say they are Dolby Atmos remasters (when I search Dolby Atmos) show up with Dolby Atmos tags either in the album. I think it’s not out right now, but will be by end of day.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #4,192 of 5,629
Apple just called the APM “our high end headphones”, during the WWDC keynote, distinguishing them from the APP. The executive who was live at the time said clearly “our AirPods Pro as well as our high end AirPods max”. I think it’s the first time that Apple is presenting the APM as their best sounding headphones (calling them high end), within their whole audio products’ range. Also I think they announced that spatial audio for movies, with the APM, will be active also on Mac and Apple TV.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #4,193 of 5,629
Apple just called the APM “our high end headphones”, during the WWDC keynote, distinguishing them from the APP. The executive who was live at the time said clearly “our AirPods Pro as well as our high end AirPods max”. I think it’s the first time that Apple is presenting the APM as their best sounding headphones (calling them high end), within their whole audio products’ range. Also I think they announced that spatial audio for movies, with the APM, will be active also on Mac and Apple TV.
I’d be surprised to say the least if Apple doesn’t announce a wireless lossless solution at the Apple Music event tomorrow. Maybe some new headphones/AirPods too.

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,195 of 5,629
"High end" could also mean "top tier" for Apple here in terms of marketing speak (which you kind of allude to). All headphones that support Spatial Audio should support it on both supported Macs and Apple TV with supporting software.
I’d be surprised to say the least if Apple doesn’t announce a wireless lossless solution at the Apple Music event tomorrow. Maybe some new headphones/AirPods too.
I'll be surprised if they do this, but very interested in how they do this (if no new hardware is required). Their focus seems to be on the Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos over the lossless audio. It kind of seems like the lossless audio is an afterthought for Apple.
I was so excited to see this. It went by in an instant. Need to check out spatial audio now, if I can.
You'll need the TV OS beta, assuming they have enabled it already in the beta.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #4,196 of 5,629
You might be right that lossless audio is an afterthought just to remain competitive, but it would still be odd for them to add it after several years only to tell people that they need to have a wired connection to take advantage of it.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #4,197 of 5,629
You might be right that lossless audio is an afterthought just to remain competitive, but it would still be odd for them to add it after several years only to tell people that they need to have a wired connection to take advantage of it.
I still feel like Apple's inclusion of lossless was more reactive rather than something super planned. Hence the entire no wireless support yet.

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #4,198 of 5,629
In any case it’s really marvelous that Spatial audio movies will be supported on both Mac and Apple TV, since up to now was only supported on the smaller screens of iPhone and iPad. Strange though how they do it since there is no gyroscope, accelerometer and rest relevant sensors on the Macs. Whatever, it’s certainly good news!

Jun 7, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #4,199 of 5,629
In any case it’s really marvelous that Spatial audio movies will be supported on both Mac and Apple TV, since up to now was only supported on the smaller screens of iPhone and iPad. Strange though how they do it since there is no gyroscope, accelerometer and rest relevant sensors on the Macs. Whatever, it’s certainly good news!
Though at the same time, I'm not sure how they'll get it to work on the Apple TV. Will need to wait on Apple to update pages eventually to determine what's required for it to work (you may need a newer Apple TV or newer Mac). It may be useful to note that Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos are still separate features with Spatial Audio building upon Dolby Atmos. While Dolby Atmos is supposed to be supported by all headphones (or so I've read) and requires no head tracking, Spatial Audio is an AP2, APP, and APM thing that requires head tracking.

Jun 7, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #4,200 of 5,629
Though at the same time, I'm not sure how they'll get it to work on the Apple TV. Will need to wait on Apple to update pages eventually to determine what's required for it to work (you may need a newer Apple TV or newer Mac). It may be useful to note that Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos are still separate features with Spatial Audio building upon Dolby Atmos. While Dolby Atmos is supposed to be supported by all headphones (or so I've read) and requires no head tracking, Spatial Audio is an AP2, APP, and APM thing that requires head tracking.
I think they mentioned on the keynote it’s only valid for the newest Apple TV and only for M1 Macs. I need to emphasize here that I was referring to spatial audio for movies. The spatial audio feature for Apple Music will be valid for all headphones with the Settings-Music-Audio-Spatial Audio toggle to always on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back