AirPods Max
Jan 27, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #2,761 of 5,629
I reported him already, hope site will take action. Thanks.

I am glad the comment was removed. It was wrong of me to say this, and I apologise.

Having followed this thread from the beginning and it being the reason I subsequently purchased the AirPods max, it has certainly been very useful. I hope this is understandable but I was becoming increasingly irate by the comments which were a combination of being very assuming and negative (This is a constant issue in the Android/iOS debate where I can only assume relatively few own both). I can definitely relate to this, as I was very anti-apple when it came to audio products, I used to wonder why so many people are spending so much on these little white earphones when there had to be better sounding options out there.

Since then, I purchased a set of APP, and fell in love with the convenience albeit at perhaps the cost of sound quality when compared to audio gear I was already used to. After this I bought several HomePods for the house and now the AirPods max. By no means a complete convert, but perhaps I've simply reached a stage where I can muster less and less time and effort to keep engaged with all the other audio gear out there and always reach for the convenient option, so I was very happy when Apple announced the max and they were relatively well received on this thread.

Anyway, this is not an excuse for my behaviour earlier, and I admit your posts do have useful insights for those wanting to perhaps see the negative points to the max, which as a user I can admit are indeed present.

Jan 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,762 of 5,629
Received Airpod Max yesterday evening. Arrived early as was expecting it today.
Now into approximately 8 hours listening time.

my main Headphones are Focal Clear and Sony MDR Z1R with various dacs.

previously owned BT Headphones:
  1. Sony WH1000XM3
  2. Bose 700
  3. Bose QC35
  4. Senn Momentum 3 [currently own].
  5. Audeze Mobius.
yes. These are the best sounding BT headphones for my ears. My preference is good extended sub without mid base bloat and i like slight reduction in mid treble/highs vs harmon curve. So for tuning these are great for me.

my expectations for BT headphones are they should not suck. I don’t expect amazing sound, but just don’t want too many audio compromises. These are super.

i listen via iPad to well mastered Movie Sound Tracks on download TIDAL MASTERS. never listen to horribly compressed modern pop.

the case is fantastic. You can stand up the headphones in it so no need for another stand. Very high quality and looks great. Excellent case.

i will keep my Senn Momentum 3 as they are used for purely movie listening via AptX LL. no latency. Until Apple releases spatial audio on next gen AppleTV4k and then will sell the Senn’s or give away.

I don’t care about noise cancellation but these are very good. Maybe as good if jot better then my previous Sony WH1000XM3. not tried XM4 as Sony charges a premium in UK for them.

spatial audio sounds engaging. My issue is that HRT is on simultaneously which is fine currently as you have phone/ipad in front of you. However they need to turn off HRT when it comes to AppleTV4k next gen as we are not all sitting directly infront of AppleTV4k. This is main reason i returned Mobius as sound is on right side where my AppleTV4k is placed, plus a few other reasons [no ios App]. Spatial audio does sound better to my memory on Airpod Max vs Mobius. Voice sounded rubbish on Mobius with their version of Spatial audio.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,763 of 5,629
I will admit this is the first time ever I have seen anything of this nature and its not acceptable at this price point.

Maybe the batteries in the APM are creating a pocket of air which leads to humidity condensing on the drivers or our body heat might be acting as a source of heat for the headband which could lead to condensation trickling down to the drivers. The headband, if its hollow might be acting as a vapor chamber. Its all guesswork but these are the only 2 sources of heat i can suggest

From breakdowns I have seen the headband itself is sealed on the ends and uses a connector to actually connect to the housings. So I doubt it’s that. Air actually isn’t a great thermal conductor either and would likely keep temps stable.

The aluminum does change temps rather quickly. Though there are other headphones (V-Moda) that utilize aluminum cups too. Some other headphones do use foams and other soft materials to dampen the front end which would also absorb any condensation that could occur. This is very absent with Apple’s headphones. Granted I’ll admit I’m normally not one to pull off the pads from my other headphones looking for condensation (partly due to difficulty, partly because I never saw/heard a reason to).

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #2,764 of 5,629

1. Sony WH1000XM3
  2. Bose 700
  3. Bose QC35
  5. Audeze Mobius.
yes. These are the best sounding BT headphones for my ears. My preference is good extended sub without mid base bloat and i like slight reduction in mid treble/highs vs harmon curve. So for tuning these are great for me.

my expectations for BT headphones are they should not suck. I don’t expect amazing sound, but just don’t want too many audio compromises. These are super.

i listen via iPad to well mastered Movie Sound Tracks on download TIDAL MASTERS. never listen to horribly compressed modern pop.

the case is fantastic. You can stand up the headphones in it so no need for another stand. Very high quality and looks great. Excellent case.

i will keep my Senn Momentum 3 as they are used for purely movie listening via AptX LL. no latency. Until Apple releases spatial audio on next gen AppleTV4k and then will sell the Senn’s or give away.

I don’t care about noise cancellation but these are very good. Maybe as good if jot better then my previous Sony WH1000XM3. not tried XM4 as Sony charges a premium in UK for them.

spatial audio sounds engaging. My issue is that HRT is on simultaneously which is fine currently as you have phone/ipad in front of you. However they need to turn off HRT when it comes to AppleTV4k next gen as we are not all sitting directly infront of AppleTV4k. This is main reason i returned Mobius as sound is on right side where my AppleTV4k is placed, plus a few other reasons [no ios App]. Spatial audio does sound better to my memory on Airpod Max vs Mobius. Voice sounded rubbish on Mobius with their version of Spatial audio.
I thought the Mobius allowed you to re-center the 3D effect by pressing the 3D button so it didn’t sound like it was at a weird angle. Granted this might need to be redone every once in a while since it used only accelerometers to create the 3D effect (Apple uses those in conjunction with some other stuff).

Jan 27, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #2,765 of 5,629
Apples 3D positioning has got confused a few time for me. I wish you could just turn it off and have plain old surround. I have a fear that they will withhold this feature from current gen Apple TVs too. But these are for music primarily here, so all that is an afterthought.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #2,766 of 5,629

1. Sony WH1000XM3
  2. Bose 700
  3. Bose QC35
  5. Audeze Mobius.

Could you please write a comparison audio and comfort review regarding the M3 vs the Max? I am also owner of the M3 and i would like to hear your opinion between these two. Thank you.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #2,767 of 5,629
Could you please write a comparison audio and comfort review regarding the M3 vs the Max? I am also owner of the M3 and i would like to hear your opinion between these two. Thank you.
Ok. It is too early to compare comfort. Give us a few days. Initially on audio the AirPods Max are significantly more resolving. Airpod Max has some good sub base lower then Senn M3. I will post again in a few days with thus comparison vs Senn M3.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,768 of 5,629
Apples 3D positioning has got confused a few time for me. I wish you could just turn it off and have plain old surround. I have a fear that they will withhold this feature from current gen Apple TVs too. But these are for music primarily here, so all that is an afterthought.
3D positioning is the HRT - head room tracking feature. I agree. Would like to be able to turn off. Tidal and Amazon have dolby atmos music and we shouldn’t have to face the source device directly to experience Spatial Audio in this case.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #2,769 of 5,629
You can turn spatial audio off.

No it doesn’t activate for music... Apple’s not THAT dumb...yet..

3D positioning is the HRT - head room tracking feature. I agree. Would like to be able to turn off. Tidal and Amazon have dolby atmos music and we shouldn’t have to face the source device directly to experience Spatial Audio in this case.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #2,770 of 5,629
Happy to report that my 3.5mm cables from Apple are here, and I do hear a significant difference with it running thru my Creative SXFI dongle. However the surround effect just sounds weird and doesn’t work. I need to get my hands on some better DAC/amps to test this properly but all my gear are not with me. Thinking of ordering the IFI Diablo 🤣

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #2,771 of 5,629
Quality aside, it does allow you to run the APM much much louder beyond what’s healthy...

Happy to report that my 3.5mm cables from Apple are here, and I do hear a significant difference with it running thru my Creative SXFI dongle. However the surround effect just sounds weird and doesn’t work. I need to get my hands on some better DAC/amps to test this properly but all my gear are not with me. Thinking of ordering the IFI Diablo 🤣

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,772 of 5,629
Ok. It is too early to compare comfort. Give us a few days. Initially on audio the AirPods Max are significantly more resolving. Airpod Max has some good sub base lower then Senn M3. I will post again in a few days with thus comparison vs Senn M3.

Thank you, i will be waiting. Is sub bass going lower on the Max? Because according to the rtings curves, the M3 goes much lower than the Max, starting also lower and even though M3 has more mid-high bass as well, it succeeds in bringing it down just before the lower mids retaining a clean midrange as a result. In any case, waiting for your comparison. Thanks again!

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #2,773 of 5,629

You can turn off the iPhone / iPad tracking in the accessibility settings and only keep the surround sound simulation.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,775 of 5,629
Noise cancellation update. Right the noise cancellation is amazing even though I don’t need the feature. Only listen at home in quiet environment.

this has much better anc then my previous Sony WH1000XM3. not tried XM4.

I realised how good it is with the piss test. All my previous BT Headphones i can hear myself pissing when standing, but nothing at all on Airpod Max.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back