AirPods Max
Jan 22, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #2,686 of 5,629
The cable is analog, not digital. Someone correct me if this pathway is wrong:

Digital source --> RME DAC/headphone amp --> amplified analog signal --> Apple cable analog input through 3.5mm -->
Apple cable digital output through Lightning --> Airpods Max DAC and amp --> analog sound

So the phenomenon that "the music sounds better from the RME" is likely due to the analog signal being amplified before it enters the cable.

So there are a few things here that could change the sound quality:
  • DACs and amps also do color sound in their own way which is something to always consider. A lot of people say that Apple's DACs that are included with their phones tend to be brighter vs those with other phones. So adding a DAC that changes the way the sound is presented slightly could help in some cases.
  • Then you also have the entire lossless vs 256 AAC bit where some feel that they'll hear a better sound out of the lossless vs the 256 AAC.
  • After that you add in the fact that each DAC/amp and ADC combo technically reduces sound quality since these systems inherently create distortion. So long as the total distortion on at the end of the pipe is transparent the issues shouldn't be huge. Each also has their output impedance and other characteristics too.
I guess it could be argued that the 1st and 3rd might also have something to do with each other too. Your directional line is correct though.

Jan 22, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,687 of 5,629
The cable is analog, not digital. Someone correct me if this pathway is wrong:

Digital source --> RME DAC/headphone amp --> amplified analog signal --> Apple cable analog input through 3.5mm -->
Apple cable digital output through Lightning --> Airpods Max DAC and amp --> analog sound

So the phenomenon that "the music sounds better from the RME" is likely due to the analog signal being amplified before it enters the cable.

We don’t know the signal path too well. However, there is no passive playback ability. This suggests that the signal from the line is transformed back to digital at the lightning stage and that the power section that interacts with the drivers is independent of any power from the cable. This would make sense for preserving the performance of the overall system while allowing for lossless and latency free inputs from traditional wired sources.

By definition, the cable is both analog and digital.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:44 PM Post #2,688 of 5,629
Reached page 136... still slowly ploughing through the posts.. I still find it hilarious when “audiophiles” diss on the APM for being inferior to wired alternatives.. the whole point for APM are them being wireless.. until the 800s somehow gain the ability to play wirelessly on the go, there’s no point comparing the 2.

Do they sound $500? I don’t know. But are they worth $500? Definitely! I’m enjoying my music wherever I am.. on the bus, on the train, on the toilet bowl.. 🤣 They match my lifestyle, I can afford them, so they are for me. YMMV.

I’m all for computational audio. Much like how computational photography helped mitigate lens changes, multi-exposure HDR composites and such, I hope computational audio would do away with the need for tubes, amps and DACs.. I’m sure there are many who still prefer the freedom to mix and match their gear to achieve the sound signature they prefer. It’s all good! Apple entering the arena would definitely push BT headphones forward, that’s what competition does. No more holding back!

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #2,689 of 5,629
Reached page 136... still slowly ploughing through the posts.. I still find it hilarious when “audiophiles” diss on the APM for being inferior to wired alternatives.. the whole point for APM are them being wireless.. until the 800s somehow gain the ability to play wirelessly on the go, there’s no point comparing the 2.

Do they sound $500? I don’t know. But are they worth $500? Definitely! I’m enjoying my music wherever I am.. on the bus, on the train, on the toilet bowl.. 🤣 They match my lifestyle, I can afford them, so they are for me. YMMV.

I’m all for computational audio. Much like how computational photography helped mitigate lens changes, multi-exposure HDR composites and such, I hope computational audio would do away with the need for tubes, amps and DACs.. I’m sure there are many who still prefer the freedom to mix and match their gear to achieve the sound signature they prefer. It’s all good! Apple entering the arena would definitely push BT headphones forward, that’s what competition does. No more holding back!

400 gr metal headphone on your head and ears is not disturbing you on the toilet bowl?

Jan 23, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,691 of 5,629
400 gr metal headphone on your head and ears is not disturbing you on the toilet bowl?

No. Not during commutes. Or walks... Not during a stroll. Or even while shoveling snow, Sam I Am.

Edit: I'm not sure who died and made 400g the magical cutoff for a pair of headphones to be comfortable for any sort of movement... But it's completely wrong and kind of has dumbfounded me. Yes, my 380g Drop Panda are very uncomfortable after an hour of non-movement... However, if I mod them and make them 410g (yes, heavier) they are very comfortable during movement and long listening sessions.

Edit 2: I've also used the HiFiMan HE-560 in a portable setting as well (with a shorter cable of course) which weigh pretty close to that 400g magical mark too. They weren't the most practical due to being open back and all. But the weight was the last thing that was an issue as they too are very comfortable headphones despite how odd they may look. No mods needed on this one since the headband is very well designed (unlike the stock Drop Panda design).

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,692 of 5,629

I gave this post a "thumbs up" as I see a place for both old school, and computational whatever. I just don't want to see old school approaches to music reproduction or for that matter photography take a back seat to computational. I like to dabble in both worlds, and enjoy doing so. I guess in the end whatever trips your trigger:L3000:

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2,696 of 5,629
Sorry another question, maybe i missed it
But as far as I know, all airpods only support aac codecs via Bluetooth
So if i have a flac files and players in my iphone, and i play it on my airpods max, it automatically downsample it to aac quality ?

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,697 of 5,629
So if i have a flac files and players in my iphone, and i play it on my airpods max, it automatically downsample it to aac quality ?
I play my home networked flac files on a player on my iphone and they play just fine, presumably downsampled to aac

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,698 of 5,629

I don't think there is any BT codec that supports lossless, some get very close but right now the highest right now is like 900kb/s transfer rates (HWA and LDAC, I think APT-X HD still caps out at like 3-500 kb/s or something). That said, yes, if you play over BT in a wireless setting, your lossless will be mixed with system sounds then converted over to AAC before being sent to the AirPods. If you play wired, then this won't happen but you'll have to deal with the source DAC -> source amp -> cable ADC -> AirPods DAC -> AirPods amp that would have to happen with the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter.

Jan 24, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #2,699 of 5,629
Why would it?? I’m quite surprised actually that it doesn’t cause discomfit at the top of the head whereas my Sony and my good old Ultrasones did. I do feel some minor discomfort at the tips of my ears if I’m out and about though.

I don’t think anyone who’s served and worn a helmet over any amount of time would have any issues with 400g lol.. build some neck muscles? 🤣

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:41 AM Post #2,700 of 5,629
I don’t think anyone who’s served and worn a helmet over any amount of time would have any issues with 400g lol.. build some neck muscles? 🤣

You jest, but I don’t think this can be emphasized enough! For most people, I think this is exactly the reason for weight complaints. Sure, there are people with big ears or heads that are outsized (or undersized), and there are people who may be more sensitive to to various kinds of pressure around the skull — but mainly it’s a matter of adaptation to the weight (by building muscle) of well balanced headphones like the APM. I always cringe a little when I read people returning them because of the weight (and mention nothing about edge cases like what I’ve described above).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back