AirPods Max
Jan 17, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #2,566 of 5,629
My understanding was that they were sending the signal(s) through the headband itself vs using wires. Though it’s possible that they have wires in the headband with connectors where the earcups detach.

There are wires running through the headband. They’re connected at both sides to a lighting sort of plug.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #2,567 of 5,629
Likewise!

As a fact, I've been wearing the APMs for the first time for more than 5 hours in a row now and I feel no discomfort whatsoever. Yes, I do sense that there is something on my head but it can be mostly ignored. In any case, at 385 g they feel even more comfortable than my 259 g Sennheiser HD-650 which are generally fine, too, but keep bothering me slightly around the ears (perhaps the opening of the oval ear cups is a tad too narrow), so I feel the need to keep adjusting them.

In addition, I feel no sensation of pressure due to the ANC.

Also, no trace of condensation since I've had them (24th of December). Currently, my environment is 24 degrees C and 15% RH.

Ultra-happy with the APMs! Love the chic Smart Case, too. Worth every penny, IMO.

Mmm to each his own I guess? I wear my APM out daily and they’ve never felt heavy or uncomfortable. I do adjust them from time to time, but that’s the case with every headphone I’ve owned, even the light weight QC35ii.

I wear my APM almost fully extended (fully extended with my cap on). The clamp to me is negated by the comfy ear cups. I’ve never had my headphones shift when I look down.. how can that be unless the headbands are heavier than the clamping force??

Anyway, get them if you’re in the Apple Ecosystem, look elsewhere if you’re not. They’re not perfect, but they are pretty close for normal everyday use.

Jan 17, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #2,568 of 5,629
I asked my friend from Germany to send me a screenshot of the Headphone Notifications screen. See attached. They, in the EU, do not have the option for turning off the notifications. That’s why the iPhone turns the volume down automatically in the EU, but not by default in North America.
9691D301-C032-4EF8-85B2-57FA42963984.jpeg

This is likely what you're looking for. Though I'm not sure about the differences between EU and NA. There were rumors saying that the EU one couldn't be shut off where the NA allows you to? If I'm not mistaken it's turned on by default (and by law) in the EU. It seemed to be one for me with my NA iPhone.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #2,569 of 5,629
Whereas this is what I see:
0A23EE2C-7DE9-49F8-99B2-8AD839CD006A.png726DD1B2-1B6D-4E50-9DF6-36C24BA2829A.png

This is likely what you're looking for. Though I'm not sure about the differences between EU and NA. There were rumors saying that the EU one couldn't be shut off where the NA allows you to? If I'm not mistaken it's turned on by default (and by law) in the EU. It seemed to be one for me with my NA iPhone.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #2,570 of 5,629
Condensation or sweat? It could be either, depending on the person or the conditions in which they are listening. Definitely, there is less material to absorb the wetness compared to most other headphones. Has there been any indication yet (online) that the wetness compromises the performance of the headphones? Does anyone know?
Sitting at home and not sweat. YouTube videos have indicated many cases as well

Jan 17, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,571 of 5,629
I asked my friend from Germany to send me a screenshot of the Headphone Notifications screen. See attached. They, in the EU, do not have the option for turning off the notifications. That’s why the iPhone turns the volume down automatically in the EU, but not by default in North America.
9691D301-C032-4EF8-85B2-57FA42963984.jpeg
I don’t remember actually turning the option on which is odd. Haha.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,572 of 5,629
Anyway, get them if you’re in the Apple Ecosystem, look elsewhere if you’re not. They’re not perfect, but they are pretty close for normal everyday use.

I'm intrigued by this sentiment that keeps coming up. People keep saying "get if you're in the ecosystem only," as if to say the sound quality isn't good enough on its own to have APM otherwise.

I feel like the sound quality is good, and that ecosystem pairings matter a lot less than sound when it comes to considering these.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,573 of 5,629
Well I've successfully created condensation. 1 hour shoveling snow in 28 F (-2 C) with no hood on (so using the headphones as earmuffs). Very little condensation (just fog, no droplets), but it started up. Granted this is nowhere near the indoor @ 75 F (24 C) that I was able to create droplets in after two hours.

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #2,574 of 5,629
I'm intrigued by this sentiment that keeps coming up. People keep saying "get if you're in the ecosystem only," as if to say the sound quality isn't good enough on its own to have APM otherwise.

I feel like the sound quality is good, and that ecosystem pairings matter a lot less than sound when it comes to considering these.

The pairing is kind of tedious if you're not in the Apple eco system if I'm not mistaken. Plus you're limited to 1 device and have little to no customization options (mainly with the ANC control).

Jan 17, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #2,575 of 5,629
The pairing is kind of tedious if you're not in the Apple eco system if I'm not mistaken. Plus you're limited to 1 device and have little to no customization options (mainly with the ANC control).

Then it's not much different for android users compared to many other wireless competitors. The main trait becomes sound quality.

The ecosystem's ease of pairing becomes more of a perk, IMO, than a deal breaker.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,576 of 5,629
Then it's not much different for android users compared to many other wireless competitors. The main trait becomes sound quality.

The ecosystem's ease of pairing becomes more of a perk, IMO, than a deal breaker.

Searching Google, you do lose other things... Checking battery status requires a third part app. Even using OK Google does too in some cases.

But speaking of audio quality... The AirPods support either AAC or SBC. A lot of Android phones don’t support AAC over Bluetooth and even fewer laptops do. And even with those that don’t the implementation is very limited. So you generally will lose out on audio quality too.

Jan 17, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #2,577 of 5,629
Anyone have small nits or sandpaper like surface on the aluminiumcups? Like you feel with your fingers and nails?

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #2,580 of 5,629
I have to strongly disagree with you- I've listened to many different pairs of Bluetooth headphones (Bose QC35 II, Sony XM3, B&W P7 Wireless, PX, PX7, to name a few) and properly EQed (to add more "warmth" as their app calls it), the H9i sound far and away better than any of these in my experience. They're the only ones with real subbass (which really thumps without overwhelming any of the other sound at all), and have a surprising amount of separation and decent detail for where they were positioned in the market. The treble can be a little shrill on the default settings maybe, but I still think the overall sound quality is very good. Everyone has different ears, though, but I wouldn't write the H9i off completely because you didn't like the sound.

When I buying the h9i I don't know the FR graph, I only returning in 2 days. Later I'm seeing this very bad graph: https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-4/graph#813/3992

What is good about excessive sub-bass when majority of music isn't having that frequency? The b&o eq in the app isn't very good at all and you can't really fixing the very bad peaks in more high frequencies that affecting the mids too, you making more warn and sacrificing good adequate sound reproduction. For me bose qc35 / qc35ii, and specially the excellent p7 wireless, are very superior in sound. (I think the px is very bad in sound, by the way, and the px7 is better than px but having uneven FR that making some music sounding very good, but other music strange, with hollow mids and peaky treble, bowers & wilkins still don't making something so good in sound like the p7 wireless, one of the best bt headphones)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back