AirPods Max
Jan 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,581 of 5,629
I returning finally my APM 3 days ago. The APM is with me one month.

I think Apple doing very, very good job with the first model of the APM. I'm sure the second model in 2 or 3 years is better. Here is my personal list of the things that needing improving.

1. The sound of the v1 is very good, but not sufficient good when we are looking at this premium price product (630,00 euros). Is a problem with the mids and treble that even if isn't very serious, is needing improvement. The mids is the very more important frequency of all frequencies and is needing better clarity and correct weight. Good treble reproduction is very, very difficult doing correctly, possibly the more difficult frequency getting right in a headphone (often is dark/warm or very peaky that causing pain and/or sibilance for example). The APM sound is very good, in general, but is playing safe and often is only polite in important pasts of the frequency.
2. The APM needing real portability (not a compromise), and today folding is must having for a good portable headphone. I'm sure a company like Apple can doing excellent job in v2.
3. 20 hours of battery life today isn't really acceptable, even if majority of people in this thread don't mentioning this sufficient times. 30 hours today is minimum acceptable, specially when this batteries aren't easy for replacing.
4. In my case the earpads isn't only making my ears hot and sometimes sweating, sometimes very soon, but I having irritation in my skin like with not other headphone of many I trying before. Apple must offering (maybe optional?) leather earpads or doing more research for better material.
5. I'm not sure still what is the problem but I never forgetting the headphone is on, and I having discomfort outside of my ears in the top, maybe is the clamping or something different. Is a pity.
6. The position of the volume and anc/transparency buttons must changing so that accidental changing isn't happening so often.
7. Real on and off feature, SPECIALLY with 20 hours of battery life (Sennheiser making tremendous mistake with momentum true wireless v1 and they only fixing this in v2).

The good things are really good or great / excellent:

1. ANC is the best in th industry.
2. Transparency too is the best.
3. The volume crown is really fantastic for the more small volume changes, so important for me.
4. Design is very, very nice (isn't a surprise from Apple product) and the construction quality excellent (no surprise either). (but the mesh we will checking in the future if is resistant, specially when the people using the APM after Covid in more travelling conditions)
5. BT connection AND range are great.
6. Excellent mics for calls.

I think when looking at the competition, the price of APM isn't excessive, I think is correct, even when unfortunately in Europe we paying many more than in other countries. BUT a cable for people that needing less lag must including in the package. Maybe a portable protective case like bose or sony, isn't necessary that is expensive but good quality, is a debate if needing including in the package, but at least Apple must making one case optional for the v2 foldable version for not more than 50-60 USD and the option of expensive model too (100-130 USD) maybe, similar like Apple made iPhone cases for many years.)

(EDIT: After one month with the APM, I having more appreciation for my h95)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 12:42 AM Post #2,582 of 5,629
I'm intrigued by this sentiment that keeps coming up. People keep saying "get if you're in the ecosystem only," as if to say the sound quality isn't good enough on its own to have APM otherwise.

I feel like the sound quality is good, and that ecosystem pairings matter a lot less than sound when it comes to considering these.

Well, I just feel like there would be too many complaints about why it can’t do this or do that if you’re not using an Apple product as the source. And Airplay possibly affects how it sounds wirelessly.
If you’re using an iPhone or iPad to stream music to it, it’s a no-brainer.. there’s nothing better.
If you’re using other devices, there are alternatives that may not sound as good, but because of the device you’re streaming on, may be able to make up for some of the SQ difference. E.g. Sony LDAC when it works...

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #2,583 of 5,629
Yeah about that condensation.. where I’m at currently it ranges from 24-30 degrees Celsius, with humidity of around 90%... even then I’m not getting the kind of water droplets that has been posted by others.. maybe I’ll need to try exercising in them 🤣

I must say this is the only headphone case I’ve ever brought out with me period. The others may be protective but are so bulky I end up just throwing the headphones nude in my bag for short trips instead. And if I’m travelling, they’re mostly on my head or around my neck..really no use case for bulky cases.

BUT I do agree they look ugly and I would never hold them by the headband like a pair of bra out and about 😅

Likewise!

As a fact, I've been wearing the APMs for the first time for more than 5 hours in a row now and I feel no discomfort whatsoever. Yes, I do sense that there is something on my head but it can be mostly ignored. In any case, at 385 g they feel even more comfortable than my 259 g Sennheiser HD-650 which are generally fine, too, but keep bothering me slightly around the ears (perhaps the opening of the oval ear cups is a tad too narrow), so I feel the need to keep adjusting them.

In addition, I feel no sensation of pressure due to the ANC.

Also, no trace of condensation since I've had them (24th of December). Currently, my environment is 24 degrees C and 15% RH.

Ultra-happy with the APMs! Love the chic Smart Case, too. Worth every penny, IMO.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:07 AM Post #2,584 of 5,629
Yeah about that condensation.. where I’m at currently it ranges from 24-30 degrees Celsius, with humidity of around 90%... even then I’m not getting the kind of water droplets that has been posted by others.. maybe I’ll need to try exercising in them 🤣

I must say this is the only headphone case I’ve ever brought out with me period. The others may be protective but are so bulky I end up just throwing the headphones nude in my bag for short trips instead. And if I’m travelling, they’re mostly on my head or around my neck..really no use case for bulky cases.

BUT I do agree they look ugly and I would never hold them by the headband like a pair of bra out and about 😅
Try to force a situation where the humidity goes above 100%. Cold to warm. It’s difficult to do, but you have to more or less temperature shock them at some point I feel.

Jan 18, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #2,585 of 5,629
I've used my Max a couple of days now.
Think I got a fit issue? (I have a L+ size head :) )

I've tried different length with the telescoping arms, and different placement of the cups over the ears, but I don't find the right position where sound and ANC are stable.
Small movements of the cups, and the sound and ANC are different.
Actually, if I turn my head both the bass and ANC change.
I often get more bass on the left (especially sub bass), even if I use L on L, or R on L.

Is this software related? Is the Max adjusting anything with different placement (like the Adaptive EQ on the Airpods Pro?)
Or is it just leakage due to bad fit?

Looking forward to hear if any of you experience something similar.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #2,586 of 5,629
Is this software related? Is the Max adjusting anything with different placement (like the Adaptive EQ on the Airpods Pro?)
Or is it just leakage due to bad fit?
The adaptive eq on the max is only related to the fit, so yeah that’s software. Sounds like you might be an edge case where the cups never really get a seal. I had the bass stuck on the left for a minute at one stage, it was super weird but I took them on and off again and it has been fine. You can turn ANC to off to test without adaptive eq.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #2,587 of 5,629
Do you hold the bras by their ‘headbands”? :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I simply don’t get this universal commotion about the case. Apple included it for a reason. It’s slim and sleek, and I don’t find it ugly. Instead, the comparisons with a handbag or a brassiere are kind of sweet and fun. I mentioned this before: Apple does not include protective cases with the iPhone, iPad, etc. If one needs / desires added protection, one should buy a third-party case.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #2,588 of 5,629
in my opinion, the APMs are more intended for indoors leisure listening or light walking outdoors in mild and dry (i.e. not raining or snowing) weather. For exercising and travelling we’ve got the excellent APPs. Since I bought the Comply Large memory foam tips, they stay in place perfectly (and passively isolate noise more).

When I was travelling, before the pandemic, it always looked weird to me to see some airplane passengers carrying and using over-the-head headphones. They’re too bulky and they restrict the head movement. I’ve used IEMs (Shure SE846) instead but now I’m falling in love with the convenience that the APPs offer me. For at home listening, though, the debate is between the Sennheiser HD-650 and the APMs. So far, wireless convenience seems to be again winning.

Try to force a situation where the humidity goes above 100%. Cold to warm. It’s difficult to do, but you have to more or less temperature shock them at some point I feel.

Jan 18, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #2,589 of 5,629
Might it be perhaps hearing related?
Or, maybe, anatomical? Other than being large, is your head or are your ears significantly asymmetrical? Try to see if you could get a better seal somehow around your right ear.

I often get more bass on the left (especially sub bass), even if I use L on L, or R on L.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,590 of 5,629
Might it be perhaps hearing related?
Or, maybe, anatomical? Other than being large, is your head or are your ears significantly asymmetrical? Try to see if you could get a better seal somehow around your right ear.

With all my other headsets I hear the same amount of bass on both ears.
When looking in the mirror, it looks fairly symmetrical. :)

The adaptive eq on the max is only related to the fit, so yeah that’s software. Sounds like you might be an edge case where the cups never really get a seal. I had the bass stuck on the left for a minute at one stage, it was super weird but I took them on and off again and it has been fine. You can turn ANC to off to test without adaptive eq.

Testing with Infected Mushrooms - Avratz, (and MAZZA by slowthai) and the sub-bass is "going crazy" with the Max in the most comfortable position. Noticable louder on the left.
With some testing with the lenght of the telescope arm, I get the bass to be equal, and not soo boomy as the postion mentioned above.
But the sound differs sooooo much by just tiny position changes. It's only noticable with sub-bass I think.

With ANC off, the bass is better, not that boomy. Also equal in volume.
It's like the sub-bass gets amplified with ANC on with the Infected Mushroom track.

My neighbor was here just now, and without telling him anything, I asked him about the sound, bass and if there was a difference on right vs left.
He also said the sub-bass was noticably louder on the left. (He only tried one length of the telescope arms.)

Jan 18, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #2,591 of 5,629
It's like the sub-bass gets amplified with ANC on with the Infected Mushroom track.
Adaptive EQ also increases the sub for me.

Regarding the asymmetrical sound, It seems possible the adaptive EQ is faulty. It relies on fairly exact sound measurement so maybe a microphone is off or something.

See if you can try another pair and see if you have the same issues. Might need to swap.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #2,592 of 5,629

Regarding the asymmetrical sound, It seems possible the adaptive EQ is faulty. It relies on fairly exact sound measurement so maybe a microphone is off or something.

See if you can try another pair and see if you have the same issues. Might need to swap.

Reversing the headphones might help to determine weather the asymmetry comes from the headphones or is anatomical in nature. Since the APM are symmetrical front to back it’s quite valid to test them this way.

Jan 18, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #2,593 of 5,629

Reversing the headphones might help to determine weather the asymmetry comes from the headphones or is anatomical in nature. Since the APM are symmetrical front to back it’s quite valid to test them this way.

I'm quite sure it's anatomical and a fit issue.
If I reverse them (R on L), the sub-bass is as boomy on the left anyway. Never get that increase in sub-bass on the right no matter what I do :thinking:
When I have the Max in the position that gives the boomy (louder) sub-bass on the left, the ANC is also leaking noticably on the left side.
As I said, just turning the head make these changes in sound, bass and ANC as well.

I've found a way to fit them to avoid the vast difference in bass/volume, but no doubt there's some leakage on the left that creates the problem.

Annoying to know there's an issue, with $800 (in Norway) headphones...

Has the 3C16 been out for long? Can I hope that a new firmware limits my problem?

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #2,594 of 5,629
I'm quite sure it's anatomical and a fit issue.
If I reverse them (R on L), the sub-bass is as boomy on the left anyway. Never get that increase in sub-bass on the right no matter what I do :thinking:
When I have the Max in the position that gives the boomy (louder) sub-bass on the left, the ANC is also leaking noticably on the left side.
As I said, just turning the head make these changes in sound, bass and ANC as well.

I've found a way to fit them to avoid the vast difference in bass/volume, but no doubt there's some leakage on the left that creates the problem.

Annoying to know there's an issue, with $800 (in Norway) headphones...

Has the 3C16 been out for long? Can I hope that a new firmware limits my problem?

Well apparently someone at Apple thought that it was a very important thing to have the headband joint the symmetrical and squircly earcups at the top against all common sense so.... :D. It’s actually a miracle that Apple’s engineers nonethesss made it work for most people. Unfortunately you’re an edge case for the resulting design.

The consistency of the ANC significantly improved with a firmware update with my APPs (2D27), so while the design is obviously quite different perhaps Apple will progressively find a way to reduce the occurrence of edge cases.

Jan 18, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,595 of 5,629
I sold my APM yesterday.

Still think they are the best full size wireless headphones I've heard however I just can't justify keeping them due to lack of use. They don't sound as good as my wired headphones, and the convenience of wireless around the house (mainly in bed at night) is covered by my APP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back