AirPods Max
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,102 of 5,629
@ angelom:

That’s right. I first used the factory sound of the APM and for me it does not sound so clear In comparison to The H95. With my personal audiogram it’s much better, but the H95 sounds in my ears a little more sovereign (EQ is set to optimal).

Yes, for me the factory sound of the APM is a little problematic, specially with some classical music and good masters with fast passages. For me the best sound is with my audiogram and/or with "Vocal + slight" in headphone modifications. By the way, the "optimal" setting of the h95 is the factory sound, and that for me is clearly better than APM factory sound.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,103 of 5,629
Look at Best Buy, Amazon, B&H Photo... Basically any Apple authorized retailer. One of them should have something in stock. Also check brick and mortar stores too.
Doesn't seem to be the case in Germany. I searched most official retailers online and they don't have the official cable. Guess Apple is snatching that high margin itself.

Can I use any third party lightning to 3.5mm cable?

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #2,104 of 5,629
I don’t think there’s a “personalized” audiogram on the Airpods at all, you do their test and it places you in either balanced/vocal/brightness and the 3 levels. I mean that is personalized but it’s not gonna be different for each user.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #2,105 of 5,629
I don’t think there’s a “personalized” audiogram on the Airpods at all, you do their test and it places you in either balanced/vocal/brightness and the 3 levels. I mean that is personalized but it’s not gonna be different for each user.

This is wrong. Search in the thread and look for audiogram. This is personal for every person if you use a special app with iOS and adding this to Health app, then...

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,106 of 5,629
Doesn't seem to be the case in Germany. I searched most official retailers online and they don't have the official cable. Guess Apple is snatching that high margin itself.

Can I use any third party lightning to 3.5mm cable?

I'm surprised they don't have the official cable, especially if they're an authorized retailer. Granted there may be fewer authorized retailers in Germany. You cannot use any 3rd party Lightning to 3.5mm cable since Apple's contains both an ADC and a DAC to work bidirectionally. For the purposes of the AirPods Max the ADC is more important than the DAC. Most 3rd parties only contain a DAC as that is generally the use case for such a cable (iPhone as source to a 3.5mm female jack vs 3.5mm jack as the source to Lightning headphone).

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,107 of 5,629
Jan 4, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,108 of 5,629
I think is a good too idea and maybe more helpful that you giving your impressions of the sound comparing the factory sound of the 2 headphones because the audiogram with the APM is personal for every person and the headphone accommodation settings too of the APM. This is similar like saying the you liking the h95 (a lot) with modifications using the b&o EQ in the app.
The audiogram setting is indeed personal. It is a measure of one's hearing (impairment). Typically age-related. It seems to me an excellent idea to compensate for this so we can all hear headphones as their designers intended as a starting point, regardless of our age! I haven't spent time on other threads and maybe this is broadly discussed. It seems from my perspective critical to any objective discussion of a headphone's sound characteristics.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #2,109 of 5,629
Quick tip for anyone with these. If you don't want the housings to bang against each other like billiard balls, it's helpful if you lift the headphones off center from around the "Y" fork in the headband (where the mesh begins) from either side. This will have one side sag down lower than the other so the housing contacts either air or the ear cushion instead of the aluminum of the other housing.

Jan 4, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #2,110 of 5,629
The audiogram setting is indeed personal. It is a measure of one's hearing (impairment). Typically age-related. It seems to me an excellent idea to compensate for this so we can all hear headphones as their designers intended as a starting point, regardless of our age! I haven't spent time on other threads and maybe this is broadly discussed. It seems from my perspective critical to any objective discussion of a headphone's sound characteristics.

I'm agree is important mentioning the headphone accommodations with/without audiogram. This is the only reason I insisting not returning my APM so soon, but I having other problems (uncomfortable after more than one hour and heat/sweat, and sometimes irritation of my skin outside my ears). BUT, the reality is that this settings are working like EQ or very, very close liker with using EQ. And even if is interesting or even important mentioning the headphone accommodations, is more realistic/useful speaking of the factory sound, specially the when comparing with other headphones. I'm a person that don't like EQ'ing a headphone, but because the APM is having excellent ANC and ambient mode (and I'm in Apple ecosystem), I trying the APM 'EQ' way and for the first time really I'm thinking of compromise but at the end my h95 is better in sound and other aspects, so after I trying very times for keeping the APM (15 days) I can't.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #2,111 of 5,629
When Spatial Audio comes to AppleTV then these become a must have. I previously tried Audeze Mobius which had poorly implemented unreliable 3D type sound. Returned them twice as thought i had a defective pair.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,114 of 5,629
The bass going straight over 20Hz gets my attentions ! Woaaa, that means it must extends to 0Hz or so ? Why not show it :wink: ? May be Hi-Res capable

Yes! Even bassheads are sad and complaining that they don't having recordings that going so low to 0,01Hz.

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #2,115 of 5,629

I agree with this assessment - particularly in regard to use of the audiogram, which compensates for less than perfect hearing and likely changes the sound of the APM (for a given user) to be more in line with the factory setting. In other words, your impressions are actually *more* objective and *more* useful to others precisely because the frequency is modified to represent what the engineers intended.

Of course, this is assuming the technology behind the hearing test and the personalized audiogram is good enough to approximate the original tuning of the APM (and it depends on how good the user is at taking the hearing test in the first place). I’d like to think it does a decent job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back