AirPods Max
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #1,921 of 5,629
The APM can do >110dB SPL with <0.7% THD (see graphs posted recently), it has a ton of volume and a flat power-curve. Your description of sensing the Panda is 'louder' is likely due to the Panda having a bunch of distortion when pushed and a power-curve that tilts in a manner you perceive os 'louder', likely due to increased mid-bass from the low-end distortion products.

This mistaking distortion for loudness is a common thing, as most systems people hear have some distortion and some have a lot at high levels.

I love demonstrating my HT system to people, as they will try and make a comment during the demo, thinking they will be heard, but the system level is high enough we can't hear each other. Low distortion performance across the frequency spectrum at decent volume is hard to achieve, therefore rare and people don't quite get it, as to most, 'loud' is associated with distortion.
I was just going on what % volume I found comfortable. Listening wirelessly with the APM at about 75% was similar to 50%-60% on the Panda. Even a greater difference when listening through USBC. As I said, having more headroom isn't relevant to me since the APMs get plenty loud for me and, like you said, with low distortion.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #1,922 of 5,629
I prepurchased the AirPod Max, very excited to get them. I listened to them for about a week before returning them. It’s hard to spend that much money on a wireless headphone when a wired headphone for $300 will sound drastically better and many wireless headphones fir half the price sound very similar. I typically listen to ZMF verite closed or Focal Utopia or Stellia. So switching to the AirPod Max from something like these I guess I could say the AirPod Max is soulless but more likely I’d just say it has poor dynamics and sounds very muddy with bass bleeding very badly into the mids. Vocals sound congested and then when the fake 3d sound kicks in there’s a floor hiss noise that bothers my ears after a while. Plus come on Apple why can’t I turn these off without using the damn ugly non protective case? For the AirPod Max’s I think it depends what you are used to listening to, most Bluetooth headphones are not great right now. But also most people aren’t comparing them to a 10k set up which really isn’t fair, although people like myself and some of these reviewers can’t help but compare them since they jump into the price range of hd600’s, 650’s, Audeze lcd’s and other respectable wired headphones price range. If they were $350 I probably would think they sound slightly better then the Sony’s or Bose. But I’d still say the Bose’s vocals are cleaner and have less bass bleed. Ultimately it’s your ears that need to decide. I did not have comfort issues with the AirPod Max’s unless I left them on for more then two hours, then my ears sometimes became sweaty but no clamping issue. This has happened with other well sealed closed headphones so not just APM thing. I do not have a large head though more standard sized. My biggest issue is Apple didn’t do anything to play better quality music through Bluetooth or clean up the sound, instead they masked the sound with a fake 3d effect that causes a background noise. Once heard you can not unhear. So yes they sound very slightly more interesting then the Sony’s but to me it’s a toss up with the Bose. The closest thing to the APM in wired would be a more muddy version of the Meze 99’s.

Fake 3D sound? The only time 3D sound is even enabled is when you’re watching a video that supports their Spacial audio function. It won’t do 3D audio for music (Which is what the majority of us are using as comparison to other headphones). I’d also argue that there are quite a few BT headphones that are pretty decent right now: Drop Panda, Audeze iSine + BT Cipher Cable, Etymotic ER-series + Etymotion BT cable, just to name a few. I wouldn’t call these muddy, the bass boost is too far into the sub-bass to really have that effect on them. I also think overboard unnatural texture when I think muddyness, these have very little to no texturing whatsoever. The toned down upper midrange I can see as being described as veiled, but it’s a slight veil vs something huge (when I think veil I think of Westone‘s old 4-series). I have heard these described as boomy, which I can see, though I typically describe what I’m hearing more as high impact as a boom in my mind has a bigger body to it; but I do see why people would feel it’s boomy.

Regarding turning off. Apparently the AirPods Max have 3 power modes, on, low power, and ultra low power. If it’s off your head and reads no movement through the accelerometers it will enter low power mode in 5 minutes and after 72 hours go into the ultra low power mode. If you’re using the case, then it goes into low power mode immediately and then ultra low power mode after 18 hours. I’ve had a suspicion that the low power mode out of the case differs from low power in the case as I can‘t get a read on battery level while it’s in the case (so BT is shut off immediately). So it’s still weird how Apple has the powering of the Max set up.

Regarding price. The Sony go for 350 (MSRP) and the Bose run for 380 (MSRP). If the APM ran for that price, I’d expect them to sound worse than those competitors as they do have better build quality and other features not included with the competing headphones. If you want better sound, better features, and better build, you’ll end up paying for it. I’m not saying you should be paying 200 more for it, but I’d set their fair price towards the 450 mark. I feel like while products aren’t discontinued, it’s important to compare MSRP or street/sale price, but never a street/sale price to an MSRP as that can create an unfair overvaluation on one product. The issue is that the APM doesn’t have a street/sale price yet as it just released; Apple products tend to take longer to go on sale. Though I’d argue that both the APP and AP routinely go on sale for 20-25% off. So it wouldn’t be surprising if the APM hit the 400-450 price point when it does have the “big” sales the APP/AP have.

I was just going on what % volume I found comfortable. Listening wirelessly with the APM at about 75% was similar to 50%-60% on the Panda. Even a greater difference when listening through USBC. As I said, having more headroom isn't relevant to me since the APMs get plenty loud for me and, like you said, with low distortion.
Keep in mind that Jude measured at different dB and that may not have correlated to different percent volume. Volume percentage may not be perfectly linear with dB output with every pair of headphones. Some have notoriously bad jumps. If memory serves the NAD HP70 and V-Moda Crossfade Wireless (1st gen) both had really abrupt dB jumps at some point (I think once you passed the 25% mark). I got a pair of HP70 more recently and I swear it jumps from like 60-65 dB to 75-80 dB (averages) as you get past the 25% mark while everything before that was more gradual (and everything after too, though I didn’t push further after).

Edit: that said, the Drop Panda did seem linear enough for me when I used it, same with the APM.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,924 of 5,629
I just wiped dust away from my old AKG 845bt headphones. I think i listen these while i'm waiting my APM.
Gives some perspective, 845bt is pretty good sounding bt-headphone, though it's old. But sound is still okay.
APP sounds little "poor" and hollow compared to AKG's.
AKG has some sibilance though. I'm very sensitive to that. APP handles that section very well.

Interesting when APM arrives. :)

By the way, here in Finland AKG's are in sale; 49euros! THAT is cheap.

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/17677/dqfrn/AKG-K-845-BT-Bluetooth-kuulokkeet-musta

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #1,925 of 5,629
I just wiped dust away from my old AKG 845bt headphones. I think i listen these while i'm waiting my APM.
Gives some perspective, 845bt is pretty good sounding bt-headphone, though it's old. But sound is still okay.
APP sounds little "poor" and hollow compared to AKG's.

Interesting when APM arrives. :)

By the way, here in Finland AKG's are in sale; 49euros! THAT is cheap.

https://www.verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/17677/dqfrn/AKG-K-845-BT-Bluetooth-kuulokkeet-musta

The 845BT is a very good headphone. One of my favorites, to this day for BT audio. I haven’t used them in ages though, maybe I should try to dig them out for whatever hole they’re in. Last check, however, the pleather on the pads were beginning to flake. Another plus side with fabric is that it generally won’t flake like that over time :p The 845BT were a great portable that saw plenty of use...

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,926 of 5,629
This post I'm writing now maybe isn't popular. I starting with a post I posting more early this afternoon in the h95 thread:

I'm listening to the excellent Citizen Erased by Muse (from Origin of Symmetry album) and comparing the h95 with the APM. I'm sorry saying this but the APM sounding like muddy mess. With the h95 the track is listenable and actually is enjoyable, with more details present and the good music 'surviving' for the ears. Is important mentioning that in this album the recording is like live in the studio so that musicians having the vibe and good connection necessary even if the sound at the end isn't great (dynamic range is very low). BUT, this (live in studio) performance is great.

Is interesting that the first days of impressions with APM many people here aren't speaking of different parts of frequency response until crinacle (and now Jude) showing graphs. I'm one of first few people liking the APM sound but thinking isn't really so great (with some problems in bass, mids and treble), specially for the price. After the graphs are coming, more people describing the sound exactly like the graphs are showing (this isn't surprise, is happening with many headphones in many threads). Now with Jude's graphs even more is already happening and will happening too in the future.

I have ALL the respect for the people that, without seeing the graphs, saying they love the APM (or not). This is ok, is a preference or opinions with more experience of good gear. The problem is when the graphs are available and now people making all new comments of how this headphone is really sounding.

I have the APM for 15 days and often doing critical listening, doing A/B (or C) comparisons. I'm trying and trying AND trying finding a reason for not returning this headphone (I 'm getting better sound with headphone accommodation settings, best ANC in the market, great ambient mode, very excellent volume crown that really having fine adjustments), but even after this, I'm returning the APM in next few days. The reasons:

The factory sound is very nice, one of my favourite of bt/anc headphones definitely, but after the h95, aonic 50 or momentum 3 (with little eq'ing for putting bass down) the APM ins't sufficiently good/convincing. I mentioning very early in the thread that the APM making thinking of the great p7 wireless, but the APM having better bass in general and the p7w better mids and treble, and thinking maybe APM is little better. Now, I'm not sure really (maybe needing more time but isn't necessary because p7w isn't anc headphone). The headphone accommodations setting is revelation for me and is the only reason I stopping returning the APM very more soon. But with my MacBook Pro, my main audio source, the EQ isn't giving me the same sound, but I accepting the compromise even here.

With the factory sound, the elevation in the sub bass is sometimes a little extreme (people saying is having small elevation I think are wrong, because the elevation is often little too much), and even when sub-bass isn't so relevant in the complete sonic picture, the APM's bass is having, more times than not, negative effect in the complete sonic presentation. The sub-bass can being so strong that really is reaching other frequencies, or other pars of bass (impossible avoiding this!) or having a general not so positive effect. The mids, not matter what the graphs are saying, is recessed, not a lot but is clearly recessed. And some problems with semi-veiled treble too, missing some important details in the music.

And then, unfortunately, the APM is giving me ALWAYS comfort problems, heat and/or sweat problems and, I mentioning today, even irritating my skin sometimes after 1-1,5 hours, and even in the best times I can never forgetting the feeling I have something in my head and ears. The user experience is continuing being a little frustrating too sometimes with playback buttons and still sometimes hitting buttons accidentally. And then is too the portability, semi important aspect for me, isn't really ideal because the APM is bulky, and more with a real case (I want the best anc for travels in the future after COVID).

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #1,927 of 5,629
As I mentioned in a previous post, the Apple AirPods Max is one of the more interesting headphones to measure. We've been measuring the AirPods Max since it arrived a couple of weeks ago. We've measured it wirelessly and wired. (We'll be doing a final set of wired measurements soon, too.) We've measured it with ANC on and off. We've measured it at several different output levels. We measured it with music as the stimulus (using Audio Precision's Transfer Function Measurement functionality), stepped sweeps, continuous sweeps, pink noise, white noise. Here's an example of our notes from just some of the measurements in only one of several AirPods Max Audio Precision project files from the past couple of weeks (each line is a separate sweep/measurement, this one project file having 40 such entries):

Measurement observations so far:
  • With ANC on and ANC off, the frequency response is the same.
  • From 70 dBSPL to 113 dBSPL, the frequency response in any given seating remains essentially the same (see Fig.2 below).
  • We get essentially identical frequency response measurements whether using continuous sweep, stepped sweep, or noise (pink and white) with Audio Precision's Transfer Function measurements.
  • Using the Audio Precision Transfer Function measurements, the frequency response with music so far seems to track the swept-sine frequency response.
  • Apple's claim of THD < 1% across the entire range (even at max volume) is accurate. With the headphone set to maximum volume, at -3 dBFS (as per Apple's specified test conditions) the AirPods Max's THD peaked at 0.731% at 342.237 Hz. Other than that peak, THD is mostly below 0.1% throughout the measured range (see Fig.3 below).

Following is the Apple AirPods Max frequency response (average of three seatings):

Fig.1 (above): Apple AirPods Max frequency response, average of three seatings.

Someone had asked if the frequency response changes at various output levels (which I thought was a good question). Following are frequency response measurements at 70 dBSPL, 90 dBSPL, 110 dBSPL, and 113 dBSPL:

Fig.2 (above): Apple AirPods Max frequency response (one seating, left channel only) at 70 dBSPL, 90 dBSPL, 110 dBSPL, and 113 dBSPL.

All of the frequency response measurements above were made using continuous sweeps.

Following are the Apple AirPods Max THD measurements at 90 dBSPL, 100 dBSPL, and 110 dBSPL. (I also posted this a few days ago.)

Fig.3 (above): Apple AirPods Max THD at 90 dBSPL (solid lines), 100 dBSPL (dashed lines), and 110 dBSPL (dotted lines).

I'll post my subjective opinions about the Apple AirPods Max at a later date, either in a post in this thread and/or in a video.

The measurements in this post were made using:

I need some help figuring out why my ears aren't getting any of this. Maybe the shape of my ears is completely messing with the adaptive EQ?

I had the APM pre-ordered minutes after the announcement because I was waiting for a decent portable headphone for my Apple eco system.

The bass is what the AirPods Max do best, though the quantity is quite a few dB higher than I would need - even on the go - or especially because of ANC. Maybe this is a step up compared to other ANC headphones? I don't pay attention to the wireless sector so much, but I'd say PRaT and texture are far superior on wired headphones starting at 129 €.

The midrange sounds very dull to me. People are still discussing whether the HD650 sound veiled, but these take the cake. Voices are almost like talking through a pillow. All nuances and micro-details are washed away. 1,5-3k are severely lacking in presence. Of course this badly hurts the timbre and any realistic tone of instruments. (The trick about activating the hidden headphone adaption does help quite a bit, though, but it occasionally can also tip into bright levels and it also seems to boost the highs.)

The worst part, however, is the treble. It sounds very brittle, never soft. Forward, with scratchy details that are nowhere near where they would be in the mix. 7-7.5 kHz are dominating the spectrum with strong dips below and above. This is also very apparent in transparency mode that hisses a lot with any tone, especially my own. I don't think we have to applaud a headphone in 2020 to reach 20 kHz anymore. I actually think less presence above 11.5 kHz would sound more natural. Most bothersome to me is how this brings out audible compression artifacts - with another 7-9 weeks waiting for the cable to arrive. This has nothing to do with good resolution - in the contrary.

Like others said, I am also missing all kinds of dynamics. The presentation is flat, but not in the professional / monitoring good way. I feel like I am listening at a far lower volume than Apple intended (30-40%).
I am also very surprised by the low THD measurements, because I have a very audible noise floor with and without music, which somehow surely would find its way into the measurements?

I am so sorry to say this, because I really wanted the APM to help me out of upgradetitis, but every other headphone in my collection (20+), from 129 € to 4.000 €, sounds better than these AirPods Max. And quite frankly, a good passive set of IEM still have far superior isolation than ANC.

But the measurements do make me hope that I should not give up quite yet. It definitely motivated me to play around with the fit, try backup pair of glasses, contact lenses, etc. and not underestimate the adaptive EQ. Here's hoping...

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,928 of 5,629
I need some help figuring out why my ears aren't getting any of this. Maybe the shape of my ears is completely messing with the adaptive EQ?

I had the APM pre-ordered minutes after the announcement because I was waiting for a decent portable headphone for my Apple eco system.

The bass is what the AirPods Max do best, though the quantity is quite a few dB higher than I would need - even on the go - or especially because of ANC. Maybe this is a step up compared to other ANC headphones? I don't pay attention to the wireless sector so much, but I'd say PRaT and texture are far superior on wired headphones starting at 129 €.

The midrange sounds very dull to me. People are still discussing whether the HD650 sound veiled, but these take the cake. Voices are almost like talking through a pillow. All nuances and micro-details are washed away. 1,5-3k are severely lacking in presence. Of course this badly hurts the timbre and any realistic tone of instruments. (The trick about activating the hidden headphone adaption does help quite a bit, though, but it occasionally can also tip into bright levels and it also seems to boost the highs.)

The worst part, however, is the treble. It sounds very brittle, never soft. Forward, with scratchy details that are nowhere near where they would be in the mix. 7-7.5 kHz are dominating the spectrum with strong dips below and above. This is also very apparent in transparency mode that hisses a lot with any tone, especially my own. I don't think we have to applaud a headphone in 2020 to reach 20 kHz anymore. I actually think less presence above 11.5 kHz would sound more natural. Most bothersome to me is how this brings out audible compression artifacts - with another 7-9 weeks waiting for the cable to arrive. This has nothing to do with good resolution - in the contrary.

Like others said, I am also missing all kinds of dynamics. The presentation is flat, but not in the professional / monitoring good way. I feel like I am listening at a far lower volume than Apple intended (30-40%).
I am also very surprised by the low THD measurements, because I have a very audible noise floor with and without music, which somehow surely would find its way into the measurements?

I am so sorry to say this, because I really wanted the APM to help me out of upgradetitis, but every other headphone in my collection (20+), from 129 € to 4.000 €, sounds better than these AirPods Max. And quite frankly, a good passive set of IEM still have far superior isolation than ANC.

But the measurements do make me hope that I should not give up quite yet. It definitely motivated me to play around with the fit, try backup pair of glasses, contact lenses, etc. and not underestimate the adaptive EQ. Here's hoping...

Interesting to hear a different experience.

I definitely listen to it at higher volumes than 30-40%. I don’t know if I would enjoy much of any headphone for my taste at low volumes.

It’s interesting you hear vocals like they’re veiled, or the whole thing maybe excerpt for that sub-bass and treble spike. At around 60-70% volume, I start enjoying these or any headphone. And with the APM, I really love the vocals.

Everyone has different impressions I suppose!

Interesting video from Linus. Compared Bose, Sony, and pandas!

EDIT: After watching it fully, it seems he doesn’t compare audio very much between the products.
He kind of equivocates the overall quality of Panda and APM, but doesn’t go into great detail.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,929 of 5,629
This post I'm writing now maybe isn't popular. I starting with a post I posting more early this afternoon in the h95 thread:

I'm listening to the excellent Citizen Erased by Muse (from Origin of Symmetry album) and comparing the h95 with the APM. I'm sorry saying this but the APM sounding like muddy mess. With the h95 the track is listenable and actually is enjoyable, with more details present and the good music 'surviving' for the ears. Is important mentioning that in this album the recording is like live in the studio so that musicians having the vibe and good connection necessary even if the sound at the end isn't great (dynamic range is very low). BUT, this (live in studio) performance is great.

Is interesting that the first days of impressions with APM many people here aren't speaking of different parts of frequency response until crinacle (and now Jude) showing graphs. I'm one of first few people liking the APM sound but thinking isn't really so great (with some problems in bass, mids and treble), specially for the price. After the graphs are coming, more people describing the sound exactly like the graphs are showing (this isn't surprise, is happening with many headphones in many threads). Now with Jude's graphs even more is already happening and will happening too in the future.

I have ALL the respect for the people that, without seeing the graphs, saying they love the APM (or not). This is ok, is a preference or opinions with more experience of good gear. The problem is when the graphs are available and now people making all new comments of how this headphone is really sounding.

I have the APM for 15 days and often doing critical listening, doing A/B (or C) comparisons. I'm trying and trying AND trying finding a reason for not returning this headphone (I 'm getting better sound with headphone accommodation settings, best ANC in the market, great ambient mode, very excellent volume crown that really having fine adjustments), but even after this, I'm returning the APM in next few days. The reasons:

The factory sound is very nice, one of my favourite of bt/anc headphones definitely, but after the h95, aonic 50 or momentum 3 (with little eq'ing for putting bass down) the APM ins't sufficiently good/convincing. I mentioning very early in the thread that the APM making thinking of the great p7 wireless, but the APM having better bass in general and the p7w better mids and treble, and thinking maybe APM is little better. Now, I'm not sure really (maybe needing more time but isn't necessary because p7w isn't anc headphone). The headphone accommodations setting is revelation for me and is the only reason I stopping returning the APM very more soon. But with my MacBook Pro, my main audio source, the EQ isn't giving me the same sound, but I accepting the compromise even here.

With the factory sound, the elevation in the sub bass is sometimes a little extreme (people saying is having small elevation I think are wrong, because the elevation is often little too much), and even when sub-bass isn't so relevant in the complete sonic picture, the APM's bass is having, more times than not, negative effect in the complete sonic presentation. The sub-bass can being so strong that really is reaching other frequencies, or other pars of bass (impossible avoiding this!) or having a general not so positive effect. The mids, not matter what the graphs are saying, is recessed, not a lot but is clearly recessed. And some problems with semi-veiled treble too, missing some important details in the music.

And then, unfortunately, the APM is giving me ALWAYS comfort problems, heat and/or sweat problems and, I mentioning today, even irritating my skin sometimes after 1-1,5 hours, and even in the best times I can never forgetting the feeling I have something in my head and ears. The user experience is continuing being a little frustrating too sometimes with playback buttons and still sometimes hitting buttons accidentally. And then is too the portability, semi important aspect for me, isn't really ideal because the APM is bulky, and more with a real case (I want the best anc for travels in the future after COVID).

There were a few people who talked about specific parts of the frequency before Crinacle posted graphs. You have to remember, when describing audio, most of the descriptive words used do correlate with certain areas of the frequency. Most of the major complaints dealt with lack of vocal energy and clarity (upper midrange) and sibilance in vocals and treble and a large focus on sub-bass. I feel like the veil that people are hearing (midrange intrusion) has more to do with the decreased upper midrange focus than the sub-bass focus, I generally find that you have to have more of a mid-bass focus for the bass to be intrusive, however a reduction in the lower midrange will almost always create some sort of veil/loss of energy.

The cloth material I could see creating some discomfort as it’s not really super smooth and has a bit of a rough texture to it. This will be made worse if the headphones don’t fit super securely, for example you can’t adjust the arms to be long/short enough which causes the housings to shift a little easier. I’d probably also argue that your ears would get hotter if you went with a set of pads that were leather/pleather as those don’t breath whatsoever. Getting a closed-back headphone to run cool is quite difficult in general. I personally feel like a perforated suede material might have been a better choice rather than the fabric Apple is using. Though the aesthetic of the pads does match up with the headband pretty well.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #1,931 of 5,629
Anyone else experiencing the same problem.
Nope, mine will stay within a few percent of where I left them 8hr+ before, outside the case.

Actually have been impressed with the battery longevity of these. I use mine hours a day, but in stretches of 2 to 3hrs, and leave them lying around for hours at a time outside the case.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,932 of 5,629
Nope, mine will stay within a few percent of where I left them 8hr+ before, outside the case.

Actually have been impressed with the battery longevity of these. I use mine hours a day, but in stretches of 2 to 3hrs, and leave them lying around for hours at a time outside the case.
...It's as if Apple had thought this through

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,933 of 5,629
Anyone else experiencing the same problem.

I‘m having some battery concern with mine. They were 100% charged over night, they’ve spent the day in their case and apart from using them for my walk this morning (half an hour) they haven’t been used until now. They had 46% charge left this evening from doing noting all day. Not good.

So I’m going to soft-reset them now, charge them fully and see what happens. I’ve also had some minor glitches where the play/pause command doesn’t work, random disconnects etc. over the last couple of days. So there is something awry with mine, but probably just a software glitch. Hopefully the soft reset will sort it out or I’ll try a factory restore tomorrow.

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,934 of 5,629
I‘m having some battery concern with mine. They were 100% charged over night, they’ve spent the day in their case and apart from using them for my walk this morning (half an hour) they haven’t been used until now. They had 46% charge left this evening from doing noting all day. Not good.

So I’m going to soft-reset them now, charge them fully and see what happens. I’ve also had some minor glitches where the play/pause command doesn’t work, random disconnects etc. over the last couple of days. So there is something awry with mine, but probably just a software glitch. Hopefully the soft reset will sort it out or I’ll try a factory restore tomorrow.

I had battery issues. I eventually was able to fix it after the second factory reset:
  • Hard reboot: hold crown button and ANC button down until the light will flash orange/amber.
  • Factory rest: forget and unpair the AirPods Max from your phone. Hold down crown and ANC button until the light flashes white (it will flash orange/amber then will flash white after).

Dec 30, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #1,935 of 5,629
I had battery issues. I eventually was able to fix it after the second factory reset:
  • Hard reboot: hold crown button and ANC button down until the light will flash orange/amber.
  • Factory rest: forget and unpair the AirPods Max from your phone. Hold down crown and ANC button until the light flashes white (it will flash orange/amber then will flash white after).

After the soft reset the drain rate of the headphone in use has reused significantly, so I think it might have been a software glitch which has been sorted by a “restart”, but we’ll see tomorrow how it holds up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back