AirPods Max
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #1,832 of 5,629
I have as far the opposite feeling as I can. The clarity, the sub-bass, and stage makes me feel immersed, engaged, and authentically there (especially with live performances). What’s going on here?

They aren't talking technical detail here. They aren't talking tuning, or response, or sound stage. They are talking about how the music 'feels'. Some headphones can just 'feel' clinical and steril, lacking in life. That's not to say these headphones have a bad freq response or tuning, but they just don't have the life and feel of other headphones.

I think this is what really set the Drop Panda's apart. They have great musicality and life to them. It's possible the Airpods Max have been tweaked and tuned to a point that they have lost this (I don't know, I don't have the APM, as I use no other Apple products and I refuse to put up with their pay wall, hand over your wallet for only our way BS).
When you account for how expensive the APM are, it is certainly the correct thing for reviewers to do to call this stuff out. For the price they are, with the other options out there, the short comings and limitations need to be highlighted.

I think, in the end, you need to accept what other think. You might have a different opinion to them, and that's fine. But they are entitled to their opinion, to what they think of the product. If you live them, great. Be happy with that. But you need to accept other people will have a different opinion.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #1,834 of 5,629
They aren't talking technical detail here. They aren't talking tuning, or response, or sound stage. They are talking about how the music 'feels'. Some headphones can just 'feel' clinical and steril, lacking in life. That's not to say these headphones have a bad freq response or tuning, but they just don't have the life and feel of other headphones.

I think this is what really set the Drop Panda's apart. They have great musicality and life to them. It's possible the Airpods Max have been tweaked and tuned to a point that they have lost this (I don't know, I don't have the APM, as I use no other Apple products and I refuse to put up with their pay wall, hand over your wallet for only our way BS).
When you account for how expensive the APM are, it is certainly the correct thing for reviewers to do to call this stuff out. For the price they are, with the other options out there, the short comings and limitations need to be highlighted.

I think, in the end, you need to accept what other think. You might have a different opinion to them, and that's fine. But they are entitled to their opinion, to what they think of the product. If you live them, great. Be happy with that. But you need to accept other people will have a different opinion.

Yea I can accept a different opinion. I'm still just wondering what the APM owners here feel about it. I feel like the APM have soul where the others are soulless! heh
(e.g. the K361/K371)

It's just a difference of opinion like you said. And now I'm simply curious what others feel too on the forum. Typing online is difficult. I don't mean to come off as dismissive of these reviewers' personal experience. More just...confused and expressing that here.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #1,835 of 5,629
Yea I can accept a different opinion. I'm still just wondering what the APM owners here feel about it. I feel like the APM have soul where the others are soulless! heh
(e.g. the K361/K371)

It's just a difference of opinion like you said. And now I'm simply curious what others feel too on the forum. Typing online is difficult. I don't mean to come off as dismissive of these reviewers' personal experience. More just...confused and expressing that here.

I had my pair for only a few days but returned them. I really liked the always on/instant use feature. The volume control was excellent. The sound/signature was good/very good. I wanted to keep them. The ANC was very good and the transparent mode was excellent. However, I found them to be comfortable for about 10-15 minutes. After which time the clamp force became very uncomfortable (an insidious onset) combined with heat build-up. I am quite surprised very, very few listeners have complained about the discomfort. I don't have an unusually large (or small) head.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #1,836 of 5,629
Nah, soulless is the last word I’d use to describe them. I describe them to people as musical, fun, detailed, and dynamic with a good airiness to them. Excellent airiness if you’re talking compared to other wireless anc headphones I’ve tried. They have plenty of soul to me. Soulless and lifeless to me has always gone to the Bose QC/700, Sony 7506 (excellent budget monitors though), hell, even the Shure Aonic 50 lacked a little soul to my ears although it has very good accuracy and detailing.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,837 of 5,629
I had my pair for only a few days but returned them. I really liked the always on/instant use feature. The volume control was excellent. The sound/signature was good/very good. I wanted to keep them. The ANC was very good and the transparent mode was excellent. However, I found them to be comfortable for about 10-15 minutes. After which time the clamp force became very uncomfortable (an insidious onset) combined with heat build-up. I am quite surprised very, very few listeners have complained about the discomfort. I don't have an unusually large (or small) head.

I felt very similarly at first too. I really was torn about how to feel about them when the headrest and clamping seemed to be at odds with how I felt positively about the tech/sound quality.

I'm telling you though, somehow I got used to them (or they got used to my head!). Something happened psychologically, or with how I adjusted them just right, or with the materials softening/bending/relaxing over time, where they now feel very decently comfortable. I did wear them A LOT though. I wore them many hours each day before they felt comfortable and the comfort issue was no longer an issue of consideration for me personally. I can't speak for others of course.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #1,838 of 5,629
(e.g. the K361/K371)

I wouldn’t call the APMs soulless either. My experience - from the perspective of a relative novice - is that Apple is trying to tune in a way that pleases both sides of the spectrum. My heart prefers a warmer sound, my brain prefers a more clinical sound. I think the APMs walk a fine line here. I’m not sure how completely successful they are (i.e., you can’t please everyone so why try?), but my ears are happy, and that’s all that matters.

Thanks for sharing your opinion about someone else’s opinion. That’s what friendly debate is all about.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #1,840 of 5,629
I felt very similarly at first too. I really was torn about how to feel about them when the headrest and clamping seemed to be at odds with how I felt positively about the tech/sound quality.

I'm telling you though, somehow I got used to them (or they got used to my head!). Something happened psychologically, or with how I adjusted them just right, or with the materials softening/bending/relaxing over time, where they now feel very decently comfortable. I did wear them A LOT though. I wore them many hours each day before they felt comfortable and the comfort issue was no longer an issue of consideration for me personally. I can't speak for others of course.

I personally think it’s a matter of neck and shoulder muscles slightly adjusting to accommodate the extra weight. I felt the same way. I wasn’t completely sold on the overall comfort for the first 2-3 days, and then I suddenly realized I was forgetting I had them on. And I have literally no scalp sensitivity (a first for me) thanks to that wide headband. This is a very subjective thing, of course.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,842 of 5,629
He calls it “soulless” like DMS does. Are we listening to the same headphones? I really want these critical reviewers to A/B the APM with just K361 and Panda. I want to know where the other two headphones do better at “soul.”

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills here. Does anyone here, who has APM, think they sound soulless like they say? Does anyone think they sound meh, who has them?

I have as far the opposite feeling as I can. The clarity, the sub-bass, and stage makes me feel immersed, engaged, and authentically there (especially with live performances). What’s going on here?

If I listen to the same track on these right after my Empys, in that circumstance then yes, I would probably charachterise them as soulless. But that isn't a fair comparison, it's like having Tesco's essential chocolate immediately after eating Lindt.

I think in the audiophile community there will be a lot of videos and reviews which will poo poo these headphones, partially because covering Apple gives a lot of clicks, and bashing Apple gives a lot of "credibility" and likes. I could be wrong, it is entirely possible that they hold them to a high objective standard and therefore deliver this verdict to all ANC headphones, I really can't be bothered to check their back-catalogue to confirm.

For everyday listening I have found the APM enjoyable and easy to listen to, very entertaining with most types of music, and retains a fair amount of the emotional impact in the music I enjoy. The slightly recessed mids and bumped up sub-bass can make some trackes less enjoyable for my personal taste; but I can see how that would work well with a lot of popular music which often has compressed dynamics. Outside those minor tuning point I haven't found any obvious issues in the sound (for an ANC Bluetooth headphone). As I've said before, they aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but they are a solid pair of Bluetooth ANC headphones which work really well for Apple users.

But like with most things, you can enjoy it for what it is, or you can complain about what it isn't. For people with a lot of Apple products these will likely be the best over-ear ANC Bluetooth headphones you can buy; for people with a couple of Apple products or even just an iPhone it is a great product in its category; and for everyone else there are probably other products which will fit their life better.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,843 of 5,629

For me is a surprise too that more people don't mentioning the comfort or the heat 'problems' of the APM.

If I'm remembering right, you having the h95 too. Do you comparing the 2 headphones?

Unfortunately for me the comfort and heat problems aren't disappearing after 14 days with the APM.

I'm giving the APM more chances than I doing with all the rest of bt/anc I don't liking before for 3 reasons: 1) The ANC is the best of all anc headphones, 2) transparency mode is really excellent, and 3) specially because with the headphone accommodation setting (with my audiogram or voice + slight) and with EQ in my MacBook Pro I can convincing me with living with this new sound even when in factory sound my h95 for me is very clearly better.

BUT the heat problem isn't disappearing (and I'm in a room with 18-20 degrees celsius!), and the comfort, even if better after I trying and trying and trying, is still a problem after 1-1,5 hours max (outside of my ears in the top part and I can never forgetting I'm using the APM). My decision is 90-95% sure that I returning the APM. I still having little problems with user experience (activating accidentally volume changes or anc/ambient), and if I selling my h95, I know I will missing the playback controls of h95 very, very much, but I think this I can accepting like a good compromise.

------------------

About the description of "soulless" sound in the video, I think I can understanding why maybe he (and maybe more people) having this opinion even if I'm not really agree with this description. I think the little recessed mids and low treble dipping isn't giving sufficient character, detail and strength for the sound of the APM. The midrange is the much more important frequency of the 3 frequencies and the APM is giving very 'safe' sound that isn't offending the ears, specially if you playing at loud volumes. I still thinking the APM sound in general is really very good comparing with the majority of the competition of bt/anc headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #1,844 of 5,629
If I listen to the same track on these right after my Empys, in that circumstance then yes, I would probably charachterise them as soulless. But that isn't a fair comparison, it's like having Tesco's essential chocolate immediately after eating Lindt.

I think in the audiophile community there will be a lot of videos and reviews which will poo poo these headphones, partially because covering Apple gives a lot of clicks, and bashing Apple gives a lot of "credibility" and likes. I could be wrong, it is entirely possible that they hold them to a high objective standard and therefore deliver this verdict to all ANC headphones, I really can't be bothered to check their back-catalogue to confirm.

For everyday listening I have found the APM enjoyable and easy to listen to, very entertaining with most types of music, and retains a fair amount of the emotional impact in the music I enjoy. The slightly recessed mids and bumped up sub-bass can make some trackes less enjoyable for my personal taste; but I can see how that would work well with a lot of popular music which often has compressed dynamics. Outside those minor tuning point I haven't found any obvious issues in the sound (for an ANC Bluetooth headphone). As I've said before, they aren't the best thing since sliced bread, but they are a solid pair of Bluetooth ANC headphones which work really well for Apple users.

But like with most things, you can enjoy it for what it is, or you can complain about what it isn't. For people with a lot of Apple products these will likely be the best over-ear ANC Bluetooth headphones you can buy; for people with a couple of Apple products or even just an iPhone it is a great product in its category; and for everyone else there are probably other products which will fit their life better.

Well said. These aren’t the best-sounding headphones I own, but they are great for casual use — add in the wonderful ANC and transparent listening, both of which are the best I’ve ever heard, add in the spatial audio, add in the great build quality, add in the minimalist control scheme, add in the comfort provided by that headband, and I just can’t find them anything but irresistible.

Dec 29, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,845 of 5,629
For me is a surprise too that more people don't mentioning the comfort or the heat 'problems' of the APM.

If I'm remembering right, you having the h95 too. Do you comparing the 2 headphones?

Unfortunately for me the comfort and heat problems aren't disappearing after 14 days with the APM.

I'm giving the APM more chances than I doing with all the rest of bt/anc I don't liking before for 3 reasons: 1) The ANC is the best of all anc headphones, 2) transparency mode is really excellent, and 3) specially because with the headphone accommodation setting (with my audiogram or voice + slight) and with EQ in my MacBook Pro I can convincing me with living with this new sound even when in factory sound my h95 for me is very clearly better.

BUT the heat problem isn't disappearing (and I'm in a room with 18-20 degrees celsius!), and the comfort, even if better after I trying and trying and trying, is still a problem after 1-1,5 hours max (outside of my ears in the top part and I can never forgetting I'm using the APM). My decision is 90-95% sure that I returning the APM. I still having little problems with user experience (activating accidentally volume changes or anc/ambient), and if I selling my h95, I know I will missing the playback controls of h95 very, very much, but I think this I can accepting like a good compromise.

------------------

About the description of "soulless" sound in the video, I think I can understanding why maybe he (and maybe more people) having this opinion even if I'm not really agree with this description. I think the little recessed mids and low treble dipping isn't giving sufficient character, detail and strength for the sound of the APM. The midrange is the much more important frequency of the 3 frequencies and the APM is giving very 'safe' sound that isn't offending the ears, specially if you playing at loud volumes. I still thinking the APM sound in general is really very good comparing with the majority of the competition of bt/anc headphones.

Hey there Angelom - I enjoy your posts. Your comments about heat are fascinating to me. I experience no excessive ear heat or ear moisture while wearing them. Are you in a humid environment? Currently, where I live, humidity is generally low. Temperature is about 22 Celsius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back