AirPods Max
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #422 of 5,629
I’m like these a lot more than my Momentum V2’s, but I don’t have them on hand to compare. I’m definitely hearing some sibilance though, even just watching the MKBHD video. Bass is a tad overdone but... I’m not sure you could take away much more without having the consumer market upset. ANC seems very good.

I’m on holidays and don’t have a lot to compare with but I just went to listen to my Elears with my Dragonfly Cobalt and... I think the right driver of my Elears has just died... I was just listening to them yesterday. They’ll still be under warranty but what a bummer.

Anyway I don’t think a DAC+Amp+HD6xx/Sundara combo will have anything to worry about imo. Very much not the point of the APM with all the extra features and convenience but just imo.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #423 of 5,629
This is nuts. I've got a pair of Audeze LCD-2C connected to my Modius/Asgard 3 stack running through Roon with Audeze LCD-2C preset grouped with my system audio (connected via bluetooth to my AirPods Max). I've been A/Bing them for a bit and I swear I can't tell which I prefer. With no EQ, the AirPods Max give the LCD-2C and Schitt stack a run for the money. At less than half the price and infinite more convenience. I'll continue testing but if it's this close, I may be listing some stuff in the for sale forum.

It's such a mindf***. I fully bought these assuming I would return, but they just keep getting better. They seem to be on par w my Peachtree/Gallo Strada/subwoofer stack and best the headphones that I have (please note my joined date).

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #424 of 5,629
O6I1inQ.png

Ok. I know the textures in this song like I know the way the gears in my car feel. I get offended when listening to this song through subpar speakers or headphones. The APM (is that what we're calling them?) pass with flying colors. I am known to be swayed by novelty so I'm withholding judgement but so far so good.

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #425 of 5,629
I’m like these a lot more than my Momentum V2’s, but I don’t have them on hand to compare. I’m definitely hearing some sibilance though, even just watching the MKBHD video. Bass is a tad overdone but... I’m not sure you could take away much more without having the consumer market upset. ANC seems very good.

I’m on holidays and don’t have a lot to compare with but I just went to listen to my Elears with my Dragonfly Cobalt and... I think the right driver of my Elears has just died... I was just listening to them yesterday. They’ll still be under warranty but what a bummer.

Anyway I don’t think a DAC+Amp+HD6xx/Sundara combo will have anything to worry about imo. Very much not the point of the APM with all the extra features and convenience but just imo.
8+ hours in and the bass is smoothing out, and its def beating the Peachtree/6XX combo I've been using for years

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #426 of 5,629
8+ hours in and the bass is smoothing out, and its def beating the Peachtree/6XX combo I've been using for years

Wow. Damn I wish I were home with more stuff to compare with. I also wasn’t able to snag a cable so BT only for me. I’ve also only had 1 hour or so with them. VERY early impressions from me.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #427 of 5,629
Wow. Damn I wish I were home with more stuff to compare with. I also wasn’t able to snag a cable so BT only for me. I’ve also only had 1 hour or so with them. VERY early impressions from me.
I'm actually only using BT. I know that there a lot of posts on this, but iphone->APM is way way way better than my imac pro->APM

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #429 of 5,629
It’s more for movies. The effect is quite amusing the first time I heard it. It’s easy to tell if spatial audio is on, when watch movies on iOS device with AirPods Pro, just turn your head left or right, if say, the voice of the actor anchored to the screen, then spatial audio is on. If the placement of the voice moves as you rotate your head, then no spatial audio. Think of it this way, when you watch a movie in the movie theater or live orchestra, the speaker or the musician doesn’t move just because you turn your head. The soundstage is also incredible, can’t wait to try it with AirPods max. Now Apple just need to implement it with Apple TV, not just on tiny iOS devices.

By the way I think Netflix doesn’t support spatial audio yet.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I feel bad for not just Googling it but I like to get real people's perspective other than the couple you can find online, especially since those perspective sometimes can be outdated.
I've got Buds+ because of reviews that told the same, and my gosh they sound horrid because of that bump at 2.5-4.5 khz. Never blindly trust Harman in ear target.
They are the best in the overall sense, I think the conveniences that they provide especially since that's mainly the point of bluetooth headphones is much more important than the sound quality, theyre more of an open air pair of buds so they leak a lot of sound. I just feel like if I want Sirius audio quality or I know where I'm going I will listen to music for extensive periods of time then I will just bring my wired set with BTR 5 and call it a day. But I can totally see your point and I totally respect it, it's a great point.

Dec 16, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #430 of 5,629
In terms of sound quality and tone, is anyone here able to compare these to the V-MODA Crossfade 2s? (I just love that headphone so much, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth.)
I think the v-moda were by far the best over-ear headphones I've ever tried and I've tried everything up to Utopia Clear. The base is just incredible and they are all so shockingly comfortable and soft I love their pads. Just imagine a v-moda that's made by Apple with all the Apple goodies included. 😏

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #431 of 5,629
I haven't posted on head-fi in a very long time, but today is an interesting day. I bought these knowing I would return them, and I probably still will, but my first impression is that they are pretty remarkable. And as has been posted above, they sound a lot better over iOS than MacOS (which is weird and shouldn't happen).

As I've seen a few times before, I'm comparing these to the B&O H95 which I also own.

Comfort, build quality - both top notch. I love the headband - it's the best I've ever worn on any headphones. It reminds me of the old Sony SA-5000, but better. The weight isn't an issue at all, though when I do switch back to the B&O I notice how much lighter they are, but I also immediately miss the headband.

The sound is shockingly good. I haven't had enough time to really properly test them but with pop music they're incredible, and more demanding music still quite good. It's only when the music gets really complex that the B&O truly, properly separate themselves.

The B&O are, to my ears at this point, unequivocally superior - but they should be for $800. The bass goes deeper, hits harder, but never overwhelms. The APM are far more neutral than I was expecting though, and really do make me question the value of the B&O (but then again, B&O is never really about value).

I'm going to write more, but I am extremely impressed. Apple did a lot more than I was expecting for a first attempt. The industry should be very, very afraid.

Dec 16, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #432 of 5,629
^ I agree - oddly sounds a little better on iOS, although still sounds great on Mac OS.

After listening to electronic and electronic sub genres on Tidal for the last 5 hours, I'm happy to say that these are the most enjoyable cans I've listened to for this type of music. Could be my age, but if the bass were any deeper I think it would be too much for my ears...wouldnt be enjoyable. But this sound sig is perfect for me.

I'm betting on future iOS updates Apple will integrate sound profiles into the app controls.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #433 of 5,629
I haven't posted on head-fi in a very long time, but today is an interesting day. I bought these knowing I would return them, and I probably still will, but my first impression is that they are pretty remarkable. And as has been posted above, they sound a lot better over iOS than MacOS (which is weird and shouldn't happen).

As I've seen a few times before, I'm comparing these to the B&O H95 which I also own.

Comfort, build quality - both top notch. I love the headband - it's the best I've ever worn on any headphones. It reminds me of the old Sony SA-5000, but better. The weight isn't an issue at all, though when I do switch back to the B&O I notice how much lighter they are, but I also immediately miss the headband.

The sound is shockingly good. I haven't had enough time to really properly test them but with pop music they're incredible, and more demanding music still quite good. It's only when the music gets really complex that the B&O truly, properly separate themselves.

The B&O are, to my ears at this point, unequivocally superior - but they should be for $800. The bass goes deeper, hits harder, but never overwhelms. The APM are far more neutral than I was expecting though, and really do make me question the value of the B&O (but then again, B&O is never really about value).

I'm going to write more, but I am extremely impressed. Apple did a lot more than I was expecting for a first attempt. The industry should be very, very afraid.
Who do you think is going out of business because of this product?

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #434 of 5,629
I have spent 24 hours with them now. I used my default playlist when testing headphones. Listened to movies. Tested the ANC. I will get my video review up later tonight, just got a few more tests to do , with All the pros and cons etc. Apple has done really good here IMO.

Dec 16, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #435 of 5,629
Got mine in and first off, in a nutshell, these are a wireless marvel and achievement for headphones.

I'm mainly posting to share my thoughts on wireless SQ vs wired SQ. I have the Apple lightning to 3.5 adapter cable as well. Listening to Blinding Lights and In Your Eyes by The Weeknd.

Wireless - as many others posted, good...no, great soundstage. Highs have good sparkle and sonics are very clean. Mids are a bit recessed. Lows are very clean and more accurate than boomy, but still fairly bassy. There is a definite digital formula to the sound overall, but it's so well done and I am having a hard time realizing this is wireless audio. So damn well done.

Wired to a Dragonfly, Tidal MQA - More sparkle, crispier sibilance, and more separation. Dare I say even wider soundstage? Highs and lows have a tad more attack and are a bit tighter. Now here's the interesting part. The mids have come out of hiding and have joined the highs/lows, although still standing a tad behind the highs and lows. Overall, the sound signature sounds more balanced, is a little brighter and clarity steps up a couple of levels. Wired makes the wireless sound sig seem darker and smoother, while wired is more analytical with cleaner separation and mids more present.

Negs: for what they are, SQ is incredible overall, yet lows and bass punch could be a little tighter (though very very very good still!).

Overall, on this first impression, I'm lovestruck. Get them if you still can if you want the best wireless experience, imo

IMG_6030.JPG

You need a Dragonfly Dragon Tail! Also, I am curious how much sound improvement you can get by using the Dragonfly Red or Cobalt. Can you tell me how vocals sound specifically via your wired setup? Thank you so much

I have spent 24 hours with them now. I used my default playlist when testing headphones. Listened to movies. Tested the ANC. I will get my video review up later tonight, just got a few more tests to do , with All the pros and cons etc. Apple has done really good here IMO.

Looking forward to it!

Been listening to these for about an hour or so. Very fun sound with quite a boomy bass though some of the female vocals sound a bit too artificial at times. I was curious to see if the aux made any difference and was rather surprised. I hear some of the DMP sound through these so very happy about that.

EpT1TyRXcAE7A9K.jpg

How do they compare to your existing cans? Are you keeping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back