AirPods Max
Dec 8, 2020 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5,629

haroldlloyd

New Head-Fier
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020...gic-of-airpods-in-a-stunning-over-ear-design/

Apple today announced AirPods Max, innovative wireless headphones that bring the magic of AirPods to an over-ear design with high-fidelity sound. AirPods Max combine a custom acoustic design, H1 chips, and advanced software to power computational audio for a breakthrough listening experience with Adaptive EQ, Active Noise Cancellation, Transparency mode, and spatial audio. AirPods Max come in five gorgeous colors, including space gray, silver, sky blue, green, and pink, and are available to order starting today, with availability beginning Tuesday, December 15.

“AirPods are the most popular headphones in the world, beloved for their effortless setup, incredible sound quality, and iconic design. With AirPods Max, we are bringing that magical AirPods experience to a stunning over-ear design with high-fidelity audio,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The custom acoustic design, combined with powerful H1 chips, and advanced software enable AirPods Max to use computational audio to wirelessly deliver the ultimate personal listening experience.”

$549. That carry case though.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 5,629
Interesting. I feel like this may be a shot across the bow in the better-traditional-headphone-acoustics-vs-aggressive-software war. I'm intrigued by the idea that it's got basically a computer onboard and will adjust its EQ based on seal and fit. Also the use of a gyroscope and accelerometer to basically provide software-based soundstage.

Wonder how well it'll work. Also wonder what this might mean for traditional headphones, if tech is going to aggressively attack the market in actually innovative ways.

Either way, I ain't buying one, but I'm intrigued by the concept.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 5,629
So much for the 300,- sports version I guess... but whatever, I'll have to at least try them out.

And the spatial audio with the AirPods Pro is really.. spooky. I guess these will offer that as well.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 5,629
629€ for a pair of Beats now? Oh right, there's a handbag included.
I don't think Beats has anything to do with Apple's branded stuff. I do have a pair of AirPods Pro, and they're pretty damned good sounding true wireless buds.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 5,629
I don't think Beats has anything to do with Apple's branded stuff. I do have a pair of AirPods Pro, and they're pretty damned good sounding true wireless buds.

Of course, they bought Beats just for fun.

No idea about the Airpods, my wife has the Pros and is waiting for the Airpods 3 to come out since the Pros hurt in her ears.
I never tried them as I can't stand IEMs.

But nevertheless I am looking forward to hear peoples impressions.
But it seems like these will only work with Apple devices which is a bummer for gamers.
And the only thing I would use it with is an Apple TV.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 5,629
Wonder how well it'll work. Also wonder what this might mean for traditional headphones, if tech is going to aggressively attack the market in actually innovative ways.

Yes, that's going to be interesting... though I don't think these will pose a threat to classic (passive) audiophile headphones. It's more the B&O H95 and Mont Blanc MB-01 market segment I guess, or even the gaming oriented headsets that include head tracking (I think Sennheiser does something like that, as does Audeze).

What irritates me a bit is the symmetrical design... on the other hand its those details that Apple normally thinks about a lot and mostly gets right. AirPods Pro being a good example.

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 5,629
Of course, they bought Beats just for fun.

No idea about the Airpods, my wife has the Pros and is waiting for the Airpods 3 to come out since the Pros hurt in her ears.
I never tried them as I can't stand IEMs.

But nevertheless I am looking forward to hear peoples impressions.
But it seems like these will only work with Apple devices which is a bummer for gamers.
And the only thing I would use it with is an Apple TV.

Maybe not just for fun, but I don't think there was much acoustical engineering prowess included in that (Expensive) package. I tend to think the headphone business was an ad-on, with the main thing being the Beats streaming music service and their ties to the record industry.

As far as I read they use Bluetooth 5, so I think they should work with other sources as well (but features like spatial audio most probably won't).

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #14 of 5,629
They are very bulbous and cheap looking.

airpods-max-comfort-202011.jpg

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 5,629
When they say high fidelity, does that mean we'll now have a lossless audio solution with these?

Its still Bluetooth... and I'd be surprised if they offered anything besides AAC (which is fine for me, but Android sources might not be that happy with that).

Plus they don't seem to include a fully passive mode... that was to be expected I guess. Since they offer a 3,5mm to Lightning accessory I guess one can use them wired though.

Nice that they don't use a touch interface but the crown instead.

The mesh based earpad... I don't know. Looks like they'll get dirty real fast. But at least magnetically attached -- I just don't want to know what a replacement set will cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back