AirPods Max
Dec 8, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #16 of 5,629
I think they're kinda nice looking. Not, like, ZMF Stabilized nice looking, or even general woodie nice looking, but I like the look of them more than my T1.2s.

(Not that it really matters what they look like if they sound like butt)

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #17 of 5,629
They look like toys -- it's hard to imagine an adult wearing them and not looking like they are 11. :frowning2: All the pics I've seen of adults wearing them make the adult look whimsical and childish.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #18 of 5,629
They look like toys -- it's hard to imagine an adult wearing them and not looking like they are 11. :frowning2: All the pics I've seen of adults wearing them make the adult look whimsical and childish.
I guess we just have a difference of opinion on what looks good. I like stuff that makes me look whimsical.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #19 of 5,629
I guess we just have a difference of opinion on what looks good. I like stuff that makes me look whimsical.

I'm just grousing -- I am 100% certain that Apple knows what they are doing in the market and these will be a huge success and I will have to see these toyish ear blobs on heads all over in the coming months :sweat_smile:

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #23 of 5,629
Sure, Beats Mini at $5.99.
Hah! I’m actually a big fan of the $50 Beats Flex, I bought one not only for myself but one for my mother so we can watch videos together in the same room with my dad while he reads - audio sharing feature is seamless with my iPad.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #24 of 5,629
I'm just grousing -- I am 100% certain that Apple knows what they are doing in the market and these will be a huge success and I will have to see these toyish ear blobs on heads all over in the coming months :sweat_smile:
Ha, fair. I wonder if they'll be more or less annoyingly ubiquitous than the in-ear ones.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #25 of 5,629
Ha, fair. I wonder if they'll be more or less annoyingly ubiquitous than the in-ear ones.
The price means they won’t sell as many of the Max as the in-ear versions which actually when they were introduced were priced lower than the other true wireless solutions available at that time, indeed I think the base AirPods are still very well priced, frankly, with superb functionality, my niggles about the look notwithstanding. ☺

But their track record is great and I expect to see a lot of these out in the wild soon!

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #26 of 5,629
I'm actually decently interested in the AirPods Max, actually; I certainly wouldn't write them off until I complete a semi-thorough listening session with them.

Looks-wise, they appear decent from the side, but kooky from the top. That headband is... weird.

Let's not even talk about that carrying case. :wink:

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #27 of 5,629
The price make me a little hesitant to give them a try... given that I'm not sure I'll truly enjoy the design / operational qualities for the use case I have in mind for them (although I'm quite confident that their FR curve won't be anywhere near as crap as most of the current crop of high-end ANC BT headphones) and that Apple's gen 1 products invariably have their share of problems. It doesn't help that the shipping date for the to colours I'm most interested in now for late December. But boy am I curious...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #28 of 5,629
The price make me a little hesitant to give them a try... given that I'm not sure I'll truly enjoy the design / operational qualities for the use case I have in mind for them (although I'm quite confident that their FR curve won't be anywhere near as crap as most of the current crop of high-end ANC BT headphones) and that Apple's gen 1 products invariably have their share of problems. It doesn't help that the shipping date for the to colours I'm most interested in now for late December. But boy am I curious...

Yes, black seems to go quite fast... obviously blue just as well. Silver looks nice I think, still available for Dec 23rd. Pink... what shall I say? On the other hand I'd never buy that pink MacBook either... green? Not for me I guess.

I, too, expect them to sound at least decent. There are some rather nice wireless models available such as the Aonic 50 which I really like, but yes, many have a bit inflated prices in my opinion. The AirPods Pro sound decent for their price, the HomePod as well... so hopefully this one will not fall flat in that regard.

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #29 of 5,629
I, too, expect them to sound at least decent. There are some rather nice wireless models available such as the Aonic 50 which I really like, but yes, many have a bit inflated prices in my opinion. The AirPods Pro sound decent for their price, the HomePod as well... so hopefully this one will not fall flat in that regard.

I think that my defective pair of K371-BT (defective as in : one pad was completely crumbled out of the box, and they even forgot to stick the acoustic felt in front of the driver on the right ear cup !) still sounded better than nearly all of the "high-end" ANC BT over-ears headphones I've tried this year so it isn't much competition IMO. And they even added the luxury of having a decent BT implementation that I couldn't make fail simply by playing single tones through them at higher frequencies (something I was able to do with several of the pairs I tried this year like the M3, Bose 700, A50, etc... all of which coincidentally use the same or a similar chip from Qualcomm, so...).

At €630 I would have really liked to see Apple implementing their capacitance sensors patents to enable a rough imaging of the user's ear to at least make them left / right agnostic and more interesting to me start to provide for "baby" auto HRTF customisation but alas that might have to wait for the next version (2022 ?). Interestingly the ear cup design remains 100% compatible with Apple's latest patents on the matter :

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 15.21.21.png

I really hope that we'll see that happening in the next version as headphones that automatically adapt to the listener's ear are the only way forward to see a big generational leap in headphones design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back