AirPods Max
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #1,232 of 5,629
There’s nothing wrong for liking the APM’s, liking their sound signature and features (if you’re entrenched in the apple ecosystem especially). You may like their design and consider them the best currently available ANC set of cans. I can argue that, but that’s subjective and there’s nothing wrong with that opinion. Also spending $550 on audio gear in this forum is usually 🥱 worthy and barely a blip on the money radar.

What I DON’T agree with, are the ppl saying it beats their current desktop rigs and/or they’ve reached their endgame with the APM’s. Really? Your endgame was more of a comfort, ecosystem issue than a sound quality issue? For the price of these headphones I can get the Plenue D and Sony N3’s run lossless tracks and have that modest portable set up run Ussain Bolt type of laps around the APM’s sound signature, quality and soundstage. This isn’t a knock on apple, it’s a knock on Bluetooth sound limitation. Once again these are a fun pair of headphones to enjoy a YouTube video, a movie, a phone call, Hell music from Spotify streamed from your iPhone or iPad. But to those that have made it their endgame, was your original set up plugged into? a tin can? Did your ears wilt or was it never about the sound quality to begin with?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,233 of 5,629
Not buying the conveniende thing, i think people are falling for marketing on that.

Wired headphones with a lightning cable + iphone are incredibly convenient, arguably moreso as you dont have to charge the cans.

I like my airpods pro auto pairing, compared to other earbuds its insanely handy.

But for headphones with a cable that doesnt tangle its virtually a non seling point imo. People are just falling for the new tech shiny on that front, unless their portable stack is unweildy. But its easy enough to have a very convenient portable solution
It’s 2020. Average consumers are buying true wireless earphones now. Wireless headphones aren’t exactly new tech, in fact they’re kind of old news.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #1,234 of 5,629
Not buying the conveniende thing, i think people are falling for marketing on that.

Wired headphones with a lightning cable + iphone are incredibly convenient, arguably moreso as you dont have to charge the cans.

I like my airpods pro auto pairing, compared to other earbuds its insanely handy.

But for headphones with a cable that doesnt tangle its virtually a non seling point imo. People are just falling for the new tech shiny on that front, unless their portable stack is unweildy. But its easy enough to have a very convenient portable solution
Sorry but do you not know any normal people? Everyone and their brother has or wants wireless.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #1,235 of 5,629

Hey says the HD6XX "absolutely spank this headphone as far as overall sound quality is concerned". Well, all I can say is his ears are very different than mine. My APM definitely have more clarity than my HD6XX even if it's slight, and while I find them both enjoyable in my quick test I was enjoying the APM a bit more. I'm really not sure what to say except that if the HD6XX totally spanked the APM I would be the first to send them back.

I wonder how much adaptive EQ changes how these sound for different people.
since your a newbie here, Ill suggest either you dont have enough power for the hd6xx or you like U shape response which the airpods max have
the hd6xx series spank the promax its not even a debate

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #1,236 of 5,629
since your a newbie here, Ill suggest either you dont have enough power for the hd6xx or you like U shape response which the airpods max have
the hd6xx series spank the promax its not even a debate
This guy says Momentum 3 wireless sound better, and if that is so, no surprise 6XX would sound better. Doesn't sound like APM is really anything special in terms of sound. Perhaps just good enough for people looking for wireless, but nothing groundbreaking.

Are yall done with your honeymoon phase yet? lol

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #1,237 of 5,629
There’s nothing wrong for liking the APM’s, liking their sound signature and features (if you’re entrenched in the apple ecosystem especially). You may like their design and consider them the best currently available ANC set of cans. I can argue that, but that’s subjective and there’s nothing wrong with that opinion. Also spending $550 on audio gear in this forum is usually 🥱 worthy and barely a blip on the money radar.

What I DON’T agree with, are the ppl saying it beats their current desktop rigs and/or they’ve reached their endgame with the APM’s. Really? Your endgame was more of a comfort, ecosystem issue than a sound quality issue? For the price of these headphones I can get the Plenue D and Sony N3’s run lossless tracks and have that modest portable set up run Ussain Bolt type of laps around the APM’s sound signature, quality and soundstage. This isn’t a knock on apple, it’s a knock on Bluetooth sound limitation. Once again these are a fun pair of headphones to enjoy a YouTube video, a movie, a phone call, He’ll music from Spotify streamed from your iPhone or iPad. But to those that have made it their endgame, was your original set up plugged into a tin can, did your ears wilt or was it never about the sound to begin with?
Have you listened to the APM?
If the APM is other people’s endgame, why does it even matter?

This guy says Momentum 3 wireless sound better, and if that is so, no surprise 6XX would sound better. Doesn't sound like APM is really anything special in terms of sound. Perhaps just good enough for people looking for wireless, but nothing groundbreaking.

I have the momentum wired version laying around somewhere. No, it doesn’t punch close to the APM.

I still use mine a few hours a day.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #1,238 of 5,629

Yeah ok. GYMCADDY is your source to bash the Max? You can do better. I've been following GYMCADDY for a while now. Nothing against him, but he LOVES bass. His top headphones are all bass heavy and he admits it. The Momentum 3 have more bass than the Max and still manage to sound decent in the the other ends of the sound spectrum, not surprised at all. Those have been his favorites for a while now. I'm someone who's owned the Momentum 3, and in my opinion, they lose to the Max in Soundstage, clarity, detail, tuning, musicality, and bass accuracy. But to each his own.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #1,239 of 5,629
Some of us realize that you compared the APM to 2 pretty low quality headphones. Why don't you try to compare them with something good like:

Audio Technica ATH-R70x: $350
Sennheiser HD600: $330
Hifiman Ananda: $700
Any of those doesn't have own amp, dsp, anc, closed back etc.
That should be remember when comparing price vs soundquality.
Totally different category products.

APM is totally new category product. It's silly even to try compare it to desktop headphones. Imo.
What's the point doing so? I don't understand. It should be compared to other bt anc headphones? Why should APM sound as good as 1000€ ordinary passive headphone to justify it's price? Which is only 629€. Only.

Edit: Sony XM4 costs 359€ in Finland. It's all plastic toy which sounds really bad. Should APM had the same price? No whining then? See the point? :wink:
Compared to Sony for example APM is not overpriced. At all. Imo.
I dare to assume that even without listening APM's, because i have had Sony's.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #1,240 of 5,629
Yeah ok. GYMCADDY is your source to bash the Max? You can do better. I've been following GYMCADDY for a while now. Nothing against him, but he LOVES bass. His top headphones are all bass heavy and he admits it. The Momentum 3 have more bass than the Max and still manage to sound decent in the the other ends of the sound spectrum, not surprised at all. Those have been his favorites for a while now. I'm someone who's owned the Momentum 3, and in my opinion, they lose to the Max in Soundstage, clarity, detail, tuning, musicality, and bass accuracy. But to each his own.

Momentum 3 is bass-heavy in a way that loses the charm of the Momentum 2.0, which had amazing sub-bass. To each their own though, GymCaddy definitely doesn’t have an Apple bias.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #1,241 of 5,629
Have you listened to the APM?
If the APM is other people’s endgame, why does it even matter?

Absolutely I have. If they’re your “ EndGame” then I’m envious. Your endgame is a typical 14 year old girls Xmas gift this year.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #1,242 of 5,629
Absolutely I have. If they’re your “ EndGame” then I’m envious. Your endgame is a typical 14 year old girls Xmas gift this year.
I don’t quite understand why you’re all butthurt that other people enjoy their APM, LOL.

the APM isn’t even close to being the best sounding HP/IEM I own but I enjoy it because there isn’t another wireless HP on the market that fills the gap for me.

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,243 of 5,629
Nice post, and it made me laugh out loud too!

The thing is apple is a big brand and some people have strong emotional ties to this brand. Some people will rationalise choices to fit into the ecosystem.

But yes, like you I'm reading some comments and justifications and thinking to my self are some of these Headfi-er people really aiming for SQ? Have they been aiming for it in the past this whole time? Or was the time spent here just a bit of fun and frivolity just to pass the time until some apple cans came to the market.

With sound though, as it's not measurable and quantifiable readily, and also as it's quite subjective, I think we an be quite malleable with our views. I have noticed personally I can enjoy a 5 dollar set of wired bud phones whilst rolling around in bed. I can think to myself, "oh I wish it could handle a bit of the complexity and layers better and have more resolution ", but at the same time I can think, considering the cost of these, this sound is pretty good and "good enough" and I am having fun listening to some tracks I like right now.

If I can do this with 5 dollar earbuds, I am sure a person enamoured and living in the apple ecosystem can do similar and find the sound "good enough" with APMs.

What I DON’T agree with, are the ppl saying it beats their current desktop rigs and/or they’ve reached their endgame with the APM’s. Really? Your endgame was more of a comfort, ecosystem issue than a sound quality issue? For the price of these headphones I can get the Plenue D and Sony N3’s run lossless tracks and have that modest portable set up run Ussain Bolt type of laps around the APM’s sound signature, quality and soundstage. This isn’t a knock on apple, it’s a knock on Bluetooth sound limitation. Once again these are a fun pair of headphones to enjoy a YouTube video, a movie, a phone call, He’ll music from Spotify streamed from your iPhone or iPad. But to those that have made it their endgame, was your original set up plugged into a tin can, did your ears wilt or was it never about the sound to begin with?

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #1,244 of 5,629
Momentum 3 is bass-heavy in a way that loses the charm of the Momentum 2.0, which had amazing sub-bass. To each their own though, GymCaddy definitely doesn’t have an Apple bias.
I like GYMCADDY, he’s just not my end all be all for reviews. He has a preference and that’s ok, his preference is just not my preference. He likes an overall bass heavy sound. He did say that the Max sound much better than the Bose 700 and Sony 1000XM4 and he didn’t dump on the Max overall. His main issue was comfort. The Max just aren’t his preference when it comes to sound. In his opinion the Momentum 3 sound better because of the heavier bass. I don’t mind more bass, I just prefer it in the Sub Bass only. In my opinion tuning it this way has less impact on overall sound accuracy. I too loved the Momentum 2. The Max follows suit in their sub bass tuning. I really think you would like the Max.

Dec 22, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #1,245 of 5,629
I like GYMCADDY, he’s just not my end all be all for reviews. He has a preference and that’s ok, his preference is just not my preference. He likes an overall bass heavy sound. He did say that the Max sound much better than the Bose 700 and Sony 1000XM4 and he didn’t dump on the Max overall. His main issue was comfort. The Max just aren’t his preference when it comes to sound. In his opinion the Momentum 3 sound better because of the heavier bass. I don’t mind more bass, I just prefer it in the Sub Bass only. In my opinion tuning it this way has less impact on overall sound accuracy. I too loved the Momentum 2. The Max follows suit in their sub bass tuning. I really think you would like the Max.

It sounds like it would match my sound preference for the most part, especially if there’s a slight emphasis in the upper mids. The airiness of the treble may be too much/fatiguing for me, but I’d have to listen to judge it as opposed to relying on frequency response charts.

I have noticed Apple/Beats have been emphasizing sub-bass as opposed to the rest of the bass range after the Studio3 received its fair share of criticism for having an unbalanced bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back