AirPods Max
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #4,606 of 5,653
Jul 16, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #4,608 of 5,653
To my ears, on the newest *developer* beta of tvOS 15, Atmos volume has become a bit louder.
I’d be surprised if they don’t do this on iOS. Whenever I listen to Spatial Audio I have to lower the volume a notch or two if a non-Atmos track comes on, or stick with Atmos to avoid this. I’m not listening incredibly loudly either, typically around 56%.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #4,609 of 5,653
To my ears, on the newest *developer* beta of tvOS 15, Atmos volume has become a bit louder.
That's interesting, I wonder if this will carry over to iOS as @MICHAELSD has stated. On the latest public beta of iOS I still hear the volume difference I originally had (I've been using sound check to lower the overall volume differences between tracks). If memory serves, the developer and public betas are actually in line with each other, the only difference is number. So developer beta 2 is public beta 1, developer 3 is public 2, etc. Developer 1 doesn't exist as a public though.
I’d be surprised if they don’t do this on iOS. Whenever I listen to Spatial Audio I have to lower the volume a notch or two if a non-Atmos track comes on, or stick with Atmos to avoid this. I’m not listening incredibly loudly either, typically around 56%.
It would be nice if Apple could do this without destroying the dynamic range, maybe setting a pre-amp on it, though that's kind of why the sound check feature exists. Granted that feature is kind of off still.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #4,610 of 5,653
Sorry but where do you find Atmos tracks? Are you only listening on Apple’s Atmos playlists? Because all my new music that I add every day to my library is lossless. No Atmos at all! Apart from the pop style songs of Billie and Taylor Swift which I can only find in Apple’s Dolby Atmos playlists, and which do not match my musical taste that well, there is nothing else. I mean, if the music of my preference does not exist in Atmos there is no use of it for me. It will be only lossless with wires again, or spatialized stereo for all Apple Music tracks, when it arrives on iOS 15.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #4,611 of 5,653
I don’t remember if I already shared this playlist, probably somewhere? Sorry if I did already! I just love how some of these change the sound from the originals. I’ve really come around to preferring Atmos when available on many things. Not all, but many.

Link to playlist

Media player….may not work on here well?

It’s my top Atmos picks from the Atmos list Apple had offered for enjoying spatial

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #4,612 of 5,653
Sorry but where do you find Atmos tracks? Are you only listening on Apple’s Atmos playlists? Because all my new music that I add every day to my library is lossless. No Atmos at all! Apart from the pop style songs of Billie and Taylor Swift which I can only find in Apple’s Dolby Atmos playlists, and which do not match my musical taste that well, there is nothing else. I mean, if the music of my preference does not exist in Atmos there is no use of it for me. It will be only lossless with wires again, or spatialized stereo for all Apple Music tracks, when it arrives on iOS 15.
Apple has specific playlists filled with it (hits, pop, rock, country, Latin, jazz, classical). They are slowly adding more music to the Atmos Library. I don’t remember the order of preference when it comes to lossless and Atmos.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #4,613 of 5,653
Apple has specific playlists filled with it (hits, pop, rock, country, Latin, jazz, classical). They are slowly adding more music to the Atmos Library. I don’t remember the order of preference when it comes to lossless and Atmos.
Thanks, I was not aware of the different styles' daily additions. I thought it was mainly hits. I will search deeper. What is your opinion of Apple Music's lossless in comparison to Atmos, on the same song, lossless on wired/Atmos on APM? Do you discern any difference? What's your preference?

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #4,614 of 5,653

Before this new tvOS 15 dev update, Atmos was rather anemic (volume wise).

It's a tad bit better now. I'm still wanting to push the volume up more, though.

If anyone wants to test free content with tvOS 15 betas (public or dev), there is the Dolby Summit app and also 99.9 percent of the trailers and free episodes of ATV+ Originals have Atmos.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #4,616 of 5,653
Just watched Alita Battle Angel with APP on Apple TV 4k with Beta TVOS
Wow!
This has convinced me to stay on the Apple path for movies

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4,617 of 5,653
Thanks, I was not aware of the different styles' daily additions. I thought it was mainly hits. I will search deeper. What is your opinion of Apple Music's lossless in comparison to Atmos, on the same song, lossless on wired/Atmos on APM? Do you discern any difference? What's your preference?
Even listening on something my my Etymotic EVO or Audeze Euclid I really don’t discern the differences between lossless and lossy.

With Atmos, I do hear a recording that tends to have much more dynamic range over the original. I do prefer the Atmos version to the original in most cases. Though I may be the minority with that opinion.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #4,620 of 5,653
Maybe they don't like discounts and want to pay above asking price like the way housing and stock market is :)
Couple advantages of an early adopter. For one, if it is good, you get the use of the device for (in this case) 6 months longer than others. I bought a pair early with about an effectively 2 month Xmas return policy from Apple. So I got to use it for 2 months free before I returned it. Housing and stock is a bit harder to return for sure. Another advantage is that you can share your experiences online with most just guessing blindly that it is good or bad. Kind of depends on personal circumstances whether buying early or late is smart or dumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back