AirPods Max
Jan 10, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #2,356 of 5,629
I’ll go against the grain and say that I’m actually a fan of the case. It reminds me of the AP & APP in style and use.

I think one of the guiding design principles is probably around reducing user friction points. Assuming that they tested this for rigorous consumer use and that it’s an effective case, it’s indeed very small and portable. I have already integrated it into my daily use while other cases only have been used for backpack transit duties.

The magnetic clamp and form factor are so portable and easy compared to big zipper cases. I’m a fan.

I will agree with you on the case for the most part. I don’t use the bulky cases anyway, so I’m glad they didn’t include it. Maybe I would of preferred an off switch and no case, but I have had a couple cases of knocking off the ear pads. So the case solves that.

ideally, it might be nice to have a way to put them into deep sleep if you enjoy having them on a stand. Overall the case works well so far in real world usage. I’ve been shoving them in and out of my bag since I got them. No damage on the mesh or anything yet.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #2,357 of 5,629

Fig.2 (above): Apple AirPods Max frequency response, average of three seatings (our "official measurement") compared to four alternate more rearward positioned seatings that we did not use.

So I've played with them a little bit by playing single tones in the attempt to get a (very) rough idea where I find some pain points with them. I limited myself to tones above 1000hz given how wary I am of Apple's Adaptive EQ below. I'm not sure yet if seating them differently on my head would result in different impressions, and perhaps I'd find something different on another day, who knows. But for now :
- I did not notice a dip at around 4800hz, or at least anything as significant as Rting's measurements or the seatings you put aside. If I were to add a fairly high Q correction of +10dB there my ears would bleed. Actually I tried it and well... it sounded intensely wrong to my ears.
- In the same vein I did not notice a peak as significant at 5000hz as the one measured by Oratory1990.
- This I'm very unsure of as it's really difficult to test for (albeit a lot easier on the APM than any other pair of headphones given the front to back symmetrical design), but I believe that my right ear anatomy creates a notch around 8100hz or so that my left one doesn't. Reversing the headphones maintains the imbalance in the same ear.
- In broad strokes I felt that the 1500-4000 region was a little too subdued, and that there was too much energy in the 6000-9000 region, but not enough for it to be painful. At normal listening levels none of the peaks I believe I noticed made me want to throw them off, unlike some other headphones. If I were to EQ them the first thing I'd do I think is start by making broad and moderate adjustments, a couple dBs more in the 1500-4000 or so region, a couple less in the 6000-9000 or so. I am skeptical of the value of making significant high Q corrections with them - at least on my ears.

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #2,359 of 5,629
Yes, you can use one ear at a time with the APP to charge the other earbud.

ANC breaks if you do this. It’s not a solution for me as I need either the passive or active isolation of both. If I use one I end up blasting the volume quite a bit too. Bad solution, especially after the AP battery went to crap and wouldn’t last more than 45 minutes).

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #2,360 of 5,629
Anyone looking for the APM, I just scored a "Very Good" one (for a friend) in Space Gray from Amazon Warehouse for $407. We'll see what condition it's in, but we probably won't see even used prices that low for a long time. Randomly looked on amazon to see if they were in stock, and there that one was. Figure with as many people returning them you may be able to get some of them cheaper.

Jan 10, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #2,361 of 5,629
Anyone looking for the APM, I just scored a "Very Good" one (for a friend) in Space Gray from Amazon Warehouse for $407. We'll see what condition it's in, but we probably won't see even used prices that low for a long time. Randomly looked on amazon to see if they were in stock, and there that one was. Figure with as many people returning them you may be able to get some of them cheaper.

I feel like in a years time (Holiday season 2021), 400-450 will be the sale price of the APM. That's about a 20% markdown, similar to that of the AP and APP.

Jan 11, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #2,365 of 5,629
The condensation feature is included at no extra charge. Previously only available on £1000+ premium headphones.

Yes. But in premium headphones that feature is hidden, it's still there though.. :wink:

Jan 11, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,367 of 5,629

V-Moda has made some really good headphones in the past. This pricing isn't too far out. Their last Crossfade Wireless 2 went for 380; if I'm not mistaken it was supposed to be a wireless version of the M-100 (retailed for 300 originally, now 250). These are supposed to be a wireless version of the M-200 (which retail for 350 right now) with added ANC and BT. If that's true, it's probably not a farfetched price.

Edit: the M-200 seem to measure very well actually. Not sure what compensation is applied though.

Edit 2: regarding pricing, this product has probably been in the works at V-Moda for quite some time now. The price point was probably set months ago as well. If the M-200 are worth 350, then 500 is a fair price if the ANC is good. I wonder if they'll have a transparency mode that doesn't require you to consistently cover the left ear cup :p

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #2,369 of 5,629
Hearing a lot of good things about the AKG 371 BT so I’m going to give them a test against the APM. Cost about a third of the price.

I was going to pull the trigger on the K371 BT/K361 BT, then I saw the N700NC M2 for 130 bucks and pulled the trigger on that instead. Very similar Harman sound, but with added ANC.

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,370 of 5,629
Hearing a lot of good things about the AKG 371 BT so I’m going to give them a test against the APM. Cost about a third of the price.

when you get it check that both ear pads are properly manufactured and remove them to see if they forgot or not to add the acoustic felt sticker that is supposed to cover the driver holes. The first copy I tried had that sticker on one side but not the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back