Aikido 24V headamp
Mar 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #541 of 570
I would use 1000uF. Larger will just increase turn off thump.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #542 of 570
I've tried many different(but not all) caps Corey. Anything over 1000uF has no sonic benefit I can hear. Only one cap makes a real enough difference to immediately notice, and that's the Blackgate N, and mine are 25V 1000uF. I just got some Cornell Dub 470uF MKTG's on ebay and I really want to try them out soon.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #543 of 570
gotcha, I'll use the 1000uF then. I found some 680uF blackgate NX which I'm a little tempted to try, but 13 bucks each is still a lot for an electrolytic cap.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #545 of 570
secret... (wherever it is, it wasn't a place where they Craft things in a Sonic fashion)

yeah I just sent them an email a little bit ago and I don't want them to sell out before I get a pair, hehe.

Mar 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #547 of 570
Well, ESW9's and modded T50rp's might have found their way into my collection and I'm making progress on the workshop, so I really need to start soldering! Still waiting for the new V1.2 MHM boards for the other two amps, but I can get the Aikido going for now. Finally getting warm enough to do some metal work on the chassis in the garage too. Hope to have the Aikido online in the next 3 weeks. Will also have an Oppo 980H as my source shortly too. Plan to open it up as soon as I get it to see what's inside and what can be upgraded.
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #548 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coreyk78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gotcha, I'll use the 1000uF then. I found some 680uF blackgate NX which I'm a little tempted to try, but 13 bucks each is still a lot for an electrolytic cap.

That is the same boutique cap often recommended for the outputs on the Millett Hybrids. I don't know much about the Aikido, but I don't see why it would be a bad choice......

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #549 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the same boutique cap often recommended for the outputs on the Millett Hybrids. I don't know much about the Aikido, but I don't see why it would be a bad choice......

I choose not to include them now due to the reports that the blackgates do not play as well with bypassing. I need more time on my Aikido still, got one board and the power supply populated.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #550 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I choose not to include them now due to the reports that the blackgates do not play as well with bypassing. I need more time on my Aikido still, got one board and the power supply populated.

Again, I see no reason why the standard Millett recommendation of VitQ PIO wouldn't be OK.

But then again, I only started reading about the Aikido today......
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #551 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again, I see no reason why the standard Millett recommendation of VitQ PIO wouldn't be OK.

But then again, I only started reading about the Aikido today......
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't heard anyone recommending bypassing blackgates who have tried it. I have plenty of Vit Q. Right now I am planning using Muse ES 1000uf with RTI 1.0 and Multicap 0.15 bypasses. I hope that works well. I also have some Elna Silmic II I could substitute as well.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #552 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard anyone recommending bypassing blackgates who have tried it. I have plenty of Vit Q. Right now I am planning using Muse ES 1000uf with RTI 1.0 and Multicap 0.15 bypasses. I hope that works well. I also have some Elna Silmic II I could substitute as well.

Black Gates can definitely be bypassed. The VitQ's that beefy mentioned is one that seems to work well. However, many common bypass caps - such as the Wima MKP's - are too slow to have any effect on the BG's, or at least any good effect. This is one reason the "safest" recommendation is often to suggest no bypassing at all for BG's.

Vishay-Roedersteins (MKP's) maybe one box cap that's fast enough to bypass a Black Gate NX. The guys at Soniccraft recommend Multicap RTX's (polystyrene) as the bypass cap of choice for a Black Gate. It's just that those run large and may not accomodate some designs.

Again, bypassing is more art than scientific. Some combos work, some don't - there's not much consistency. Unless you have suggestions that someone has actually tried, don't expect immediate success.
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. I noticed that John Broskie is selling the Russian K42's on his site. We have a lot of experience with the K42's over on the MAX side of the house.
wink.gif
They are definitely too slow to have any usefulness in bypassing Black Gates. I would recommend them these days only if you need a lot of warmth and strong bass. There are better choices for good mids and sparkling highs (the VitQ's run circles around them).

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #553 of 570
Nice to see Beefy and Tom over here.
wink.gif

The Aikido 24V board has the room for the RTXs if you wish and can even be setup with a selector switch to allow the use of cap "A" only, cap "B" only, or both caps "A" + "B". It's a nice feature in that you can perform listening tests between two caps, or in my goal when using the Aikido as a preamp too, use the smaller cap only to act as a bass filter for listening to Fonken speakers at night when the wife and kids are in bed, but greater range of motion is required to prevent headphone use...

Mar 27, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #554 of 570
I've tried bypassing the NX with several different caps including Auricaps and to me they just sound better alone. I really need to get some of the VitQ's to try out sometime.
This is just for the Aikido only, not the MH.

Mar 27, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #555 of 570
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, ESW9's and modded T50rp's might have found their way into my collection and I'm making progress on the workshop, so I really need to start soldering! Still waiting for the new V1.2 MHM boards for the other two amps, but I can get the Aikido going for now. Finally getting warm enough to do some metal work on the chassis in the garage too. Hope to have the Aikido online in the next 3 weeks. Will also have an Oppo 980H as my source shortly too. Plan to open it up as soon as I get it to see what's inside and what can be upgraded.
wink.gif

sent you email a few days ago, have you received it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back