AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio – Young Guru Edition
Jul 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #31 of 70
Quote:
Thats a hard question to answer... Though they share some traits (i.e. a strong bass and a bit weaker midrange, the TMA-1 has the edge in clarity I'd say. That might make it prone to sibilance if the recording is harsh -- something the M-100 would not do I guess. Thats pure speculation though as I had no problems in that regard so far, but I used them only with EDM of various kinds. Rock might not be the genre of choice for the TMA-1 -- but the M-100 does not excel there either as I've read.

Comfortwise its a tie... both are not completely around-ear, the pads of the TMA-1 are much softer and I had no problem wearing them even these last rather warm days. The M-100 gets me sweating a bit but on the other hand their build and pleather cups seem to be more resistant (i.e. just wipe them off). The TMA-1 is astoundingly light and, in contrast to former variants, the headband has a nice cushion now.

Mobile use is somewhat better with the M-100 as it folds up and its cups are a bit smaller (i.e. easier to wear around the neck). Both sound good and go plenty loud with mobile devices, with the TMA-1 having a slight edge in efficiency.

Currently I enjoy both of them -- and I'm glad I don't have to decide which one to sell :wink:

So which one do you think wins in midrange? I like the look of the M100, but the Aiaiai is sooooo much cheaper, and if they can provide better sound, I'm gonna go order them. 

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #32 of 70
I think the midrange is more present with the TMA-1 and its easier to hear details, though, as stated earlier, it has a slight veil in the upper midrange and a slight tendency to give some sibilance (better: is present in that range without being displeasing or harsh).

Jul 21, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #35 of 70
I sold my DT770 several weeks before I got the TMA-1, so I can only provide some remarks from memory...
According to that memory the DT770 has more subbass but the TMA-1 hits a lot harder and has more presence. The Beyer sounds a bit distant in comparison, distributes sound more around you. The TMA-1 has a clear edge in efficiency and is more compact, i.e. easier to take with you.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #36 of 70
How does the soundstage compare to the normal TMA-1 Studios and the M100's? These honestly sound like killer headphones for its price point, more so than the original TMA-1 Studio's which didn't quite gain a following here like the TMA-1's. The internet is lacking in reviews. :/

Jul 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #37 of 70
The Young Guru Edition is only available for about 10 days now, so that might be the reason for few reviews...

I've never heard the original Studios so I can't compare them to this new revision. Nevertheless soundstage is quite nice and to me better than with the HD25, though of course not on par with open headphones.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #38 of 70
Just got these in the mail today and thought I'd post a pic of the response curve:

http://imageshack.us/a/img825/4633/z6ei.jpg

I like these more than the original TMA-1s, especially for everyday listening. And they're way more comfortable ergonomically.

Aug 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 70
Top tip btw: when I first got them I was shocked at the lack of bass response. I realized the idea was to create a flatter pair of headphones with better treble response for mixing, but it was ridiculous how tinny they sounded. Turns out both earpads were sitting loose at the bottom - make sure they're properly flush before listening!

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #40 of 70
The Young Guru has just arrived. The sound is somewhat similar to HD700. But mid-tone is behind, just like Custom One Pro or DT770 600ohm.
I feel the TMA-1 Fools Gold Edition is too overbassed, but the Young Guru is within normal range. I am hard to say this is a typical basshead.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #41 of 70
I am looking for a headphone to try out after I realized that I need something between the Audio Technica ATH-M50's and V-MODA M-100's in terms of sound signature.

I've been a fan of the AIAIAI TMA-1 style in the past, but their previous offerings have all been much too dark for me to consider keeping. From what I've heard so far, these may break that trend - am I right in assuming so? Can anyone describe the balance between the treble, mids, and lows? How is the build quality and comfort as well?

Aug 30, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 70
I still find the bass kicking quite hard, with nice but not exceptional extension (i.e. not like a DT1350). The treble is much better than with the regular TMA-1 and I find the midrange nice an quite detailed with a slight boost in the upper region. Overall a much more versatile headphone than its more DJ-oriented smaller brother.

Comfort is good, the pads are very soft but not too deep, headband is soft, fabric covered foam (not rubber like the other TMA-1 variants), clamping force is rather low but you won't loose it. Build quality seems on par with the regular TMA-1 (i.e. it might share its tendency to loose the rubber coating -- though that did not happen to me with either one).

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #45 of 70
Just looked back up the thread and I noticed that you said the Midrange was better than the M-100 - but that there was a veil.

How bad is this veil? how do all the frequencies balance out in relation to the M-100's? Is it a V-shaped curve like the M-100's? Or something more W-shaped? I'm tempted to get these if they ever go on sale, but it all depends on where I get them and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back