AH-D7000 or ATH-W3000ANV
Apr 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

faverodefavero

100+ Head-Fier
Lot's of questions for Japan headphones appreciators and aficionados:

Denon or Audio-Technica? Which of these headphones have faster response and reveal more details in the music? And what is the difference (if there is any, besides cosmetics and the wood resonance) between the W3000ANV and the W1000X, please?
Would really like someone who've heard this phones to comment.

By the way, where can I still buy the W3000ANV? Heard allot of japanese websites still sell them, is it safe? I mean, I've always heard I should be cautious with japanese fake headphones (fake versions of Denons, Fostexeses, and very specially AudioTechnicas). Is that the case with these headphones, have they got fake versions as well?

Thanks, people!

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Lot's of questions for Japan headphones appreciators and aficionados:

Denon or Audio-Technica? Which of these headphones have faster response and reveal more details in the music? And what is the difference (if there is any, besides cosmetics and the wood resonance) between the W3000ANV and the W1000X, please?
Would really like someone who've heard this phones to comment.

By the way, where can I still buy the W3000ANV? Heard allot of japanese websites still sell them, is it safe? I mean, I've always heard I should be cautious with japanese fake headphones (fake versions of Denons, Fostexeses, and very specially AudioTechnicas). Is that the case with these headphones, have they got fake versions as well?

Thanks, people!

I haven't heard of any fake Denons or ATs. That said, I've owned the D7000s twice and really enjoyed them. But they do leak sound and isolate as well as open headphones. They have great thunderous bass, the mids can be a bit recessed and sparkling highs. The ATs leak very little and isolate as well as my Ed.8s (two of the best in this regard). Their bass is more balanced (like the HD800s) and their mids are simply breathtaking. The treble is fantastic (sparkling as well IMO) and imaging is a bit better.

Both are great headphones and incredibly comfortable, but I prefer the W3000ANVs.

Apr 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 34
Apr 11, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
I haven't heard of any fake Denons or ATs. That said, I've owned the D7000s twice and really enjoyed them. But they do leak sound and isolate as well as open headphones. They have great thunderous bass, the mids can be a bit recessed and sparkling highs. The ATs leak very little and isolate as well as my Ed.8s (two of the best in this regard). Their bass is more balanced (like the HD800s) and their mids are simply breathtaking. The treble is fantastic (sparkling as well IMO) and imaging is a bit better.

Both are great headphones and incredibly comfortable, but I prefer the W3000ANVs.

As usual, I agree with Peter's observations about the gear in question, but I came to a different conclusion: I kept the D7000s and sold the ATs. For me, it came down to fit (the W3000ANVs were totally unworkable on my dome) and, frankly, excitement -- the ATs are mellower, more sublime cans than the Denons, and I personally wanted my closed cans to also be my headphones with bass I could feel and a touch of "extra sparkle." Also, the Electronics Expo "open box" deal made the D7000s less than half of the cost of the W3000ANV at the time (not strictly true now). Really, you won't be disappointed with either.

As for the D7000's recessed mids, I do agree that it's something of an issue, but for me it's nowhere near as bothersome as the recessed mids of, say, the Beyer DT990/600.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #9 of 34

Quote:
As usual, I agree with Peter's observations about the gear in question, but I came to a different conclusion: I kept the D7000s and sold the ATs. For me, it came down to fit (the W3000ANVs were totally unworkable on my dome) and, frankly, excitement -- the ATs are mellower, more sublime cans than the Denons, and I personally wanted my closed cans to also be my headphones with bass I could feel and a touch of "extra sparkle." Also, the Electronics Expo "open box" deal made the D7000s less than half of the cost of the W3000ANV at the time (not strictly true now). Really, you won't be disappointed with either.

As for the D7000's recessed mids, I do agree that it's something of an issue, but for me it's nowhere near as bothersome as the recessed mids of, say, the Beyer DT990/600.

And we're in complete agreement here too. Both are truly great cans!

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 34
I own all 3 (W3000ANV, D7000 and DX1000). Since I got the W3000ANV there will no headtime for the D7000 or DX1000. The D7000 will go to the for sale forum soon and maybe the DX1000 too. I really love the sound (no bass lacking IMO) and soundstaging of the W3000ANV with my WA5-LE.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #11 of 34
Dammit u guys really want me to try the W3000. :D
It's always winning against the other HPs i was considering before getting a W1000x. The timbre of the latter seems to suit me most but the new ANV is just superior :frowning2:

Apr 29, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 34
I too really like the d7000s. Mine were fully modded with lawton cups, but I sold them after getting my w3000. I consider the d7000 great "for closed cans'. But the w3000 are just great period, and competes with highend open cans. They do have one flaw though. They are lacking when it comes to bass extension, but not bass quantity. They have plenty of punch, but it just doesn't extend as deep as other high end cans. Not to say that it's lacking, but noticeable when compared to others. But everything else is so good, it's a non-issue for me. But the texture and refinement of the bass it as good as any can.

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #13 of 34
You guys are making it really brutal not to get these W3000...but I've got my eye on a Signature Pro, too!

firstworldproblems.rtf

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 34
A little late, but I own both the D7000 and W3000ANV.  The only thing I can add is, I find the D7000 to be more comfortable than the W3000ANV.  Not to say the W3000ANV is not comfortable, but the D5000/D7000 are the most comfortable headphone I've tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back