Aftermarket IEM Cable List (Now more Visually Stimulating)
Aug 23, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #152 of 225
Flinkenick thanks mate for your uber quick response...

This and all IEM cables I've seen so far have one single 3mm...but the Pono is configured for balanced by using the headphone out and the line out (as left and right in a balanced configuration). Using headphones, this works as two separate cable feeds for left and right...I was aiming for the same configuration for iems...can't understand why not...

:wink:

Aug 23, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #153 of 225
No problem :)

I asked someone else about it once and he said there was mention of more in the Pono thread, but I had a hard time finding them.. The silver dragon is pretty affordable at $200 and I've heard some people say they were satisfied with it.

Personally I don't completely understand why they went this route with cables while other balanced cables are single ended, but if it works why not :wink:

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #157 of 225
Yeah I know :) With the right pairing a cable can improve say 20% of the SQ - make a $700 iem sound like a $900 one.

Such a pity that most people don't 'believe' in cables.. Maybe a lot of people start with silver-copper cables as an upgrade cable and then get turned off when it doesn't improve that much; but especially when you're hearing is not that sensitive, the only cables that make a huge difference start around $300 I'd say - too big of a step for most.

For other readers, please don't start a discussion and get this thread blocked :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #158 of 225
  Yeah I know :) With the right pairing a cable can improve say 20% of the SQ - make a $700 iem sound like a $900 one.

Such a pity that most people don't 'believe' in cables.. Maybe a lot of people start with silver-copper cables as an upgrade cable and then get turned off when it doesn't improve that much; but especially when you're hearing is not that sensitive, the only cables that make a huge difference start around $300 I'd say - too big of a step for most.

For other readers, please don't start a discussion and get this thread blocked :)

People should believe in cable improvement mate. Even with entry level cables, we can make our earphones/headphones (perhaps by a hair with some) better as you said. Also, this difference is more significant than interconnects, since it is plugged directly to speaker. 

With 400 USD + cables, flagship earphones would be taken to another level. Surely, I have some disappointments such as expensive Tralucent cables including first gen Uber. 

It is nice to discuss about cables  :)

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #159 of 225
My biggest disappointment for the price was the Whiplash TWau (new=$525), although maybe the pairing was wrong with the Velvet back when that was my only iem. I'm a big fan of the Toxic Silver Widow - have you ever tried one? My current 'flagship' is the 8-strand silver/gold (2% gold) Rhapsodio cable. Sammy from Rhapsodio gave me big discounts on cables when I bought my Solar so I ended up buying all three of their new cables. I'm going to finish up a review of them when I get the Silver Litz cable, only one missing now. But it won't be as precise and detailed for bass/mids/treble as your review :wink:

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #160 of 225

With 400 USD + cables, flagship earphones would be taken to another level.

Someone with a flagship IEM, perhaps a Noble K10 for instance, is already experiencing very high quality listening. How on earth are they going to get transported to some other level of sonic nirvana, not to mention the law of diminishing returns as opposed to $400 of improvement. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #161 of 225
  My biggest disappointment for the price was the Whiplash TWau (new=$525), although maybe the pairing was wrong with the Velvet back when that was my only iem. I'm a big fan of the Toxic Silver Widow - have you ever tried one? My current 'flagship' is the 8-strand silver/gold (2% gold) Rhapsodio cable. Sammy from Rhapsodio gave me big discounts on cables when I bought my Solar so I ended up buying all three of their new cables. I'm going to finish up a review of them when I get the Silver Litz cable, only one missing now. But it won't be as precise and detailed for bass/mids/treble as your review :wink:

I haven't heard a cable from Toxic yet, but I'll add to my review list soon :) 

Any link to Rhapsodio's cable?

Someone with a flagship IEM, perhaps a Noble K10 for instance, is already experiencing very high quality listening. How on earth are they going to get transported to some other level of sonic nirvana, not to mention the law of diminishing returns as opposed to $400 of improvement. 

It doesn't have to be nirvana :) Even flagships get significantly better with a good cable, I have many experience about this. Improved background's blackness, note thickness, control.. They are so important even for a flagship. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #162 of 225

I haven't heard a cable from Toxic yet, but I'll add to my review list soon :) 

Any link to Rhapsodio's cable?

http://www.rhapsodio.com/products/cables/litz-series/

But I got them at serious discounts, pm me if you're really interested I can check if it's still available.

It doesn't have to be nirvana :) Even flagships get significantly better with a good cable, I have many experience about this. Improved background's blackness, note thickness, control.. They are so important even for a flagship. 

Add superior detail, instrument definition and separation to that list. Bass quantity might not improve, but it becomes more punchy and controlled. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #163 of 225

http://www.rhapsodio.com/products/cables/litz-series/

But I got them at serious discounts, pm me if you're really interested I can check if it's still available.

Add superior detail, instrument definition and separation to that list. Bass quantity might not improve, but it becomes more punchy and controlled. 

If someone would like to generate a list of cable companies selling IEM cables and give it to me, I would update the first post to include that as a way of bridging the gap between the content of the first post and the current products out in the market.

Sep 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #164 of 225
Does this cable material is a good one to replace the current stock Westone epic cable ?

WBT 4% Silver Solder
7NOCC single crystal copper 4 cores

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back