After three years the journey has ended: I almost have had them all
Jan 19, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 103
Your English is fine, better than many native speakers on most messageboards (for realz d00d lol What, anyone?). Glad to hear your search is over, and glad to hear it ended up not being incredibly expensive - how much do you think you've lost in your dealings with headphones, cashwise?

Jan 19, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Your English is fine, better than many native speakers on most messageboards (for realz d00d lol What, anyone?). Glad to hear your search is over, and glad to hear it ended up not being incredibly expensive - how much do you think you've lost in your dealings with headphones, cashwise?

Yeah, I completely agree. Far better than most native speakers whose writings I have read. I didn't even suspect that English wasn't his native langauge until after he mentioned it.

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 103
What a cool story! I'm sure John Grado would be proud to read it himself. I've got the HF-1's and listen to them from time to time but have never had such an emotional reaction to them. Maybe I need to give them some more head time!

Jan 19, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 103
Hehe! HF-1 isn't hype! Why oh why did I trade away #200? I want it back!
mad.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #9 of 103
Ironically I am sitting here at Ed's house, with the K1000, SA5000, and DT531 all over at the audio rack. Last night the HF-1 (#69) was here. I would listen to the DT531 long before I'd ever want to listen to the HF-1. Typical Grado shoutiness and bass hump, and highs that can get sibilant. I guess it must all be about synergy, because I don't get how someone with those three cans in the house would reach for an HF1, but if it works for you, then super, superman!
biggrin.gif
After all if it weren't for you I'd never have been loving my DT531's. Keep having fun there, and make sure your wallet thanks you for saving it from the wrath of Orpheus
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #13 of 103
Hmmmm....I suspect a pair of Qualia's might do you good...

With that said, I do like my HF-1's but not THAT much (gave them to my brother). When I had the RS-1's, they were clearly superior to the HF-1's, especially in the bass department (cleaner and tighter).

Well, the next step of course for you is a Larry Headphile HF-1! So its not OVER...its NEVER OVER...

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #14 of 103
Congratulations.
I'm through more cans than I want to count, too.
Similar to your journey I've learned that more expensive doesn't necessarily mean more fun.
Currently I'm enjoying a Grado SR 225 with flats (I prefer it over the more expensive Grados) driven by a cheap RA-1 clone for rock music, and a K1000 driven by a $ 200 autocostruire amp (kind of modded T-amp with a bit more oomph) for more complex music.
I've owned rigs costing nearly ten times as much and they were better in a technical sense, but not as much fun.

Jan 19, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #15 of 103
There comes a time for everyone in the audio hobby when it's time to care less about equipment, and care more about the music it reproduces - for "Supermans Ears" that time has come, congratulations!

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back