Affordable Sony studio headphones
Jan 17, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #106 of 146

Quote:
Well I always thought that is if something is very very popular that's usualy a sign that the item is good. Since if they were not good why would people buy them? If people really didn't like the V150 why would they buy them and waste there money on it? I mean there's got to be something good about them like maybe for the price they sound good or they are built well or something like that. I really think you guys have been too use to very expensive headphones that are 10 times more than these and you just think anything less will sound like crap like $20 headphones. I don't think people in here will ever use $20 headphones since this forums is for people who have money and want high end gear.

Meth is popular. Does that mean meth is good?

Jan 17, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #107 of 146

Quote:
Quote:
Well I always thought that is if something is very very popular that's usualy a sign that the item is good. Since if they were not good why would people buy them? If people really didn't like the V150 why would they buy them and waste there money on it? I mean there's got to be something good about them like maybe for the price they sound good or they are built well or something like that. I really think you guys have been too use to very expensive headphones that are 10 times more than these and you just think anything less will sound like crap like $20 headphones. I don't think people in here will ever use $20 headphones since this forums is for people who have money and want high end gear.

Meth is popular. Does that mean meth is good?

Yes.

Seriously, though, that was probably a bad example.

Apple is popular...
very_evil_smiley.gif
Okay, bad example too. Starbucks is popular. So? Their coffee tends to taste pretty bad.

Jan 18, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #111 of 146
Jan 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Post #113 of 146
The bottom line is that studio phones should be capable of producing the entire range of sound accurately. The V150 produces virtually none of it's sound accurately. I'm confident, even my MDR-XB500 bass monsters would do a better job at studio mixing/monitoring/tracking. Also, I have many different headphones. Anywhere from $15 Coby's up to $150 Sennheisers. They ALL sound better than the MDR-V150's, Period! I'm not into studio production. But, if I was, my Roland RH-50's, with 2 drivers (speakers) per earcup, would probably be my best pair for studio use. They can be had online for around $50. Amazon does not carry them, unfortunately. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #115 of 146

I'm bored, so I might as well write this one out...

Quote:
But everyone likes different types of sound so what I like you might not like.

That is true.  But it is not as if people on this forum all like the same kind of sound.  People on here like all kinds of different sounds.  There are a lot of very expensive headphones that I have no interest in because I don't like how they sound.  People here like warm sounding headphones, cold sound, tons of treble, less treble, tons of bass, less bass, etc.  The only thing that everyone here on head-fi looks for is value for the price, technically good sound compared to other headphones in the same price range. 

McDonalds is very popular, but that doesn't mean it is quality food. 
Nike is very popular but that doesn't mean they make quality clothing.
Skullcandy is very popular but that doesn't mean they make quality headphones.
I could keep going but you get the point.

The majority of people don't buy things because of the quality of the product or the quality of the materials or ingredients.  People buy things because of the image and feeling they associate with it.  Think about this:  Why should Sony even bother to make good quality headphones if you buy them simply because you think Sony makes good products, and even in the face of a forum full of experienced headphone enthusiasts (who care about nothing but finding the best sound quality for the money) telling you there is better for the money.  Yet you still think they are good because of the image and brand alone.  They don't need to make good quality headphones, all they have to do is maintain their image and brand, which is about advertising and marketing, not quality product.  All they have to do is convince people, as they have convinced you, that the Sony brand means quality and people will buy them as long as they don't look like complete garbage.  Companies sell more products through advertising and image then they do through actually making a quality product.  Skullcandy and Bose are great examples of this.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #116 of 146
I still have my V150 here. they dont worth the 15 they might cost.
of course if you dont have anything else to compare they might seem ok. what other headphones have you tried?
but for 20 you could have gone way better.

Jan 18, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #120 of 146
I'll enter the fray, though at this point I'm not certain the good it will do. I can say with reasonable certainty that very little under $80 is going to qualify for mixing purposes (notwithstanding excellent deals). There are very nice sounding headphones below that level, but in general they're not going to be tonally accurate enough to create a reliable mix.

The Sony MDR-V6 is a very common choice in recording. I personally think there are better choices, but the V6 has been around for decades. Experienced professionals--not random Amazon reviewers--sing its praise. It's the cheapest you're going to come to acceptable reference quality from Sony.

This isn't about personal preference, "rich guy with expensive equipment" bias, or any other subjective things. Recording is one of the few semi-objective fields in audio. There are standards. If you want equipment that conforms to those standards reasonably well, you're going to have to pay a little bit for it. If not, then why would Sony sell anything higher end than the V150? Recording isn't like, say, a car, where as long as it moves and has four wheels and a steering wheel it'll work, and everything else is frosting. The bar is quite a bit higher than you seem to think. A "basic" studio tool is one that is tonally neutral and reasonably well built. The V150 fails on both counts, regardless of whether Sony, some people on Amazon, your mother, or anybody else says otherwise.

If something is popular, it says nothing about its quality or aptitude. The majority of people don't care about/aren't sophisticated enough to recognize truly good sound quality. They look to brand, image, marketing, and price to make their choice. Companies like Sony are well aware of this and market accordingly. The average consumer doesn't "need" good quality sound and wouldn't miss it if it weren't there. They'll happily buy something for $20 from a brand they know. Plus, if the blister pack says "studio" they'll feel good about themselves, thinking "If it's good enough for a studio, it must be good." Technically, you could use two plastic cups and a wire in a studio if you wanted. Nobody does, for obvious reasons. Sony hasn't lied, per se, but the claim is meaningless.

A recording engineer--regardless of whether he's a studio professional or a guy in his basement--does need a product with a certain level of competency. Refer back to the beginning paragraphs for more information.

I'm not sure how serious you are with all this--those other forum threads linked above make me wonder. But I gave it my best shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back