Aesthetic Phones?
Jun 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #61 of 75
Very weird, a thread about style and I am the first Italian to contribute... Where have all the Italians gone???

biggrin.gif

Don't worry, I'm kidding. My humble opinion follows...

I am for a sober, essentialist design.

Headphones are something that must be worn.You must feel comfortable with them on. They do not have to look good only on the shelf. You should be able to walk around town with them on, without feeling uneasy about them and without anyone turning his face around thinking "holy crap" or "what has that nerd got on his head".

So.

Audio Technica woodies.
Loudspeakers should be made of wood, phones should not... As pendulum clocks are made of wood, and cuckoo clocks are made of wood, but wristwatches are not. Never.

Smart headphones must be simple, elegant, and round.
I find very pretty almost any simple back-closed headphone... Simple ATHs, Ultrasone HFIs, ect... and the Beyer DT770... are so amazingly cool!!!
among back-opens.. well... Sennh 600, 650; the Beyer DT880 pro, with the "round-holed-net" grid that does not make them look like a piece of an air conditioner. I find the SR325s beautiful, and far more beautiful than the other Grados not just because they're metallic, but also because they've got a round (boobed?) and not cylindrical body, that is very weird-looking.

For the same reasons I don't even wish to own any sort of sci-fi-phone such as Sony Qualias, HD800s, Ergos, or any rectangular Stax: too ugly to be worn even at home.

Ohh... AKG. They look just... old... 70s design... They make you look like an alien... but of some old series... even if I must say that 701/2 are not that bad, pretty and proportionate... at least compared to the golden ones...
AKG K1000... I find them pretty, but I'd never go around with them... they're speakers...!
wink.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Pro 900 look very nice from the point of view of its intended function (the studio), but it gives a very wrong message in public. It's a real eyesore to people because it isn't eyecandy like the HFI-2200/HFI-780 so people don't think I'm wearing them to be a cool kid or to enjoy music but simply to be rude/show off the two gigantic circles eating my ears. I'm thinking about doing a hello kitty sticker mod on them so I can use it in public without drawing disapproving looks.

Hmm... I haven't really seen how the Pro 900s look on me while walking around. I just basically wear them so far to listen with, and I haven't really seen the Ultrasone 780s or 2200s in person yet. So, the Pro 900s are actually that disturbing in public?

Jun 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lars, you sure have good taste!
o2smile.gif

The SR-007MK2 sure looks nice, and so do the SR-007BL...

They look sooo sturdy on the first picture !!Look very pretty that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trigg3rhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... I haven't really seen how the Pro 900s look on me while walking around. I just basically wear them so far to listen with, and I haven't really seen the Ultrasone 780s or 2200s in person yet. So, the Pro 900s are actually that disturbing in public?

I would'n say disturbing , but they're actually pretty big.Some people think that HFI780 look big on my head.Now imagine those big round metallic housing !And it seem even worst IMO as the headband is the same size of medium size earcup style's one.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #65 of 75
It's not really disturbing, just boring compared to other headphones because they have nothing interesting to look at for extended periods of time. People aren't used to seeing people walking around with full-sized headphones on, and so they usually stare, but when they stare at the Pro 900 they just look at the aluminum plate and see that everything else is black and think, "How boring!"

I just put some stickers on mine yesterday so people don't get bored looking at them.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

It's not really disturbing, just boring compared to other headphones because they have nothing interesting to look at for extended periods of time. People aren't used to seeing people walking around with full-sized headphones on, and so they usually stare, but when they stare at the Pro 900 they just look at the aluminum plate and see that everything else is black and think, "How boring!"

I just put some stickers on mine yesterday so people don't get bored looking at them.

Yay sticker mod! How does the bass sound? :p

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

I was on the train last week, wearing my ATH M-50. OK, they're big, but being them also flat-shaped, black and round, I wonder I could they could ever look nerdy. Anyway, as I put them off (as I listen to music only when alone) the girl in front of me kidded: "anything new from the front?"

Maybe anything that is not a white earbud identifies you like a music-toting crazy
frown.gif
ph34r.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yus, SR325i, ftw. Silver, pfffft. Also, ESW10.

On the opposite note, don't you think tri-flanges looks creepy? Like alien probing devices.

I think they look kinda cool...like pasta sort of.

Anyways you have them in your ears most the time.

Jun 8, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS1s, I mean, come on...

I couldn't agree more. That is one ugly, painful and above all cheap looking contraption.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back