Your pick ?

• Aeon Flow Closed

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Focal Elegia

Votes: 30 54.5%

• Total voters
May 9, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #16 of 36
Hi atahanuz,

I can share my personal experiences but they include practical aspects which can't be avoided when using the headphones.
(I often listen while sitting on my desk in front of a 48" 4K TV used a a PC monitor, and I have some stuff left and right, or in drawers, etc., so I move my head whcih causes issues)
I listen mainly to metal, but secondly to various other genres (polyphony, dark ambient, neofolk-neoclassical, etc.)
and at a very low volume.

I purchased the Aeon Flow Closed (AFC) as soon as it arrived to Europe (that should be already some years ago)
and the Elegia on the first day of its release in Europe.

Where I find the AFC better and the Elegia not as good:

- This may come as a surprise, but for me the most important advantage of the AFC is that the lower part of its headband remains good looking, while the light-gray suede of the lower part of the headband of the Elegia will get a dirty coloration over use, which I find very annoying.
I had already this bad experience with the Focal Clear, so before the same happened to my Elegia, my wife solved this by knitting fabric around the headband. Headfieer xxx1313 provided a useful link where such fabric can be ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hand-Woven...lear-Headphone-/254126561513?oid=252833263359

- The AFC feels lighter and more comfortable (if not moving the head) than the Elegia (which I find already comfortable)

- While I find the Elegia to be in the "neutral area", I think that the AFC is more neutral, especially having more of and a better distributed treble presence, the Elegia's treble feels a bit recessed and with some small dips, making it feel as being on the dark side of neutral, but still in the "neutral area" for me (treble not as recessed, not such deep dips and global tonality not as dark as Audeze's headphones).

(- also the AFC would indeed fit better those looking for smoothed musical representation, but this is not for me).

Where I find the Elegia better and the AFC not as good:

- Again this may be a surprise, but I personally find the combination of the cable + position of its connectors worse for the AFC and better for the Elegia!
The Elegia's cable is too rigid and microphonic (= mechanical transmission of sounds caused by contacts), but the cable of the AFC is quite microphonic as well and, because of the elongated shape of the headphones, the AFC's cables pass in the area of the open collar of my shirts. I usually wear shirts with an open collar (rarely closed with a tie), and the tiniest motions of my head cause frictions between the cables and the two sides of the open collar, and so excessively frequent microphonic nuisances, which I find very annoying. When I saw pictures or videos of Dan Clarke (in charge of MrSpeakers), he always wore a T-shirt, so he may not realize how much an issue this can be. This will be fine if you wear a T-shirt or a sweat shirt but this is not my case, so here in the end I surprisingly clearly prefer the Elegia.

- Average and larger motions, i.e. starting with 1-2 cm up or down or 20 degrees left or right, of my head create annoying frequent squeezy sounds with the AFC as my ears ( I am average sized) touch the left and right sides of the interior parts of the cups and these small motions make my ears rub against these inner sides of the cups. The Elegia has no such annoying issues.
(I guess this is why it is better to have round headphones. Hifiman found a further alternative with huge elongated earcups in series like the HE1000xx, these are so big that the ears don't touch them inside, solving this issue, but then the external parts of the huge elongated earcups touch the neck when moving the head, causing another issue which I find also annoying, but still less annoying than the inner frictions caused by the AFC )

- the AFC have less air inside the cups and will feel warmer more quickly than the Elegia

- Dynamics: the Elegia has (typical for Focal) excellent dynamics, making (sorry to say) the AFC sound boring for me in comparison

- Drum attacks: again the Elegia has the lead here, the AFC feels softer in comparison, especially at low volume

- Soundstage: at least at the very low volume at which I listen, the Elegia feels open with a fine soundstage, while the AFC really feels closed to me, even at very low volume

- Imaging: again much better for me with the Elegia (maybe because the AFC feels too closed?)

- Bass: I prefer the Elegia, its bass extends deeper, the bass of the AFC feels weaker, although not bad in itself

- amplification: the Elegia requires less.

This is what I can think about now, maybe something else will come to my mind.

Hoping this may be helpful,
bidn
Man,you.really gave me some good perspective between the two....I have owned in many sets of cans with a smoothed out sound. I know that I'm looking for something different than that sound sig, of which, may sway me to the Elegia camp

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 36
Maybe it’s just me but I consider all planars smooth compared to dynamics...so if you’re looking for a can that’s more in your face, then probably ditch the planar for now.
I’ve heard the Elegia side by side to an Ultrasone Signature Studio and was surprised by just how much I prefered the Ultrasone.
Just one man’s opinion though and I really love how the Focals look...but I never place myself in front of a mirror when I listen to music:wink:

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #18 of 36
Maybe a late post, but I have owned the Aeon 2 closed and LCD-2 Closed. I have sold both due to some issue. I found the LCD-2 Closed to be a very nice sounding headphone. But the mids sounded slightly off to me. I understand the first were worse but still, the latest revised/ fixed batch I still felt parts in the mids sounded muffled or veild. The treble and low end though were great, I loved the headphone but the mids were just a bit of a let down for me. Another issue weight. I like doing long listening sessions. I could have a good listen to them for 2 hours straight, but after those 2 hours, I felt like I needed a 4 hour break. Great headphones, amazing build, just mids and weight were a slight issue. The Aeon 2 Closed were honestly a side grade. Tonal balance for me felt better and sounded better. Low end though felt lighter but mids sounded better to my ear but detail was a touch less compared to the LCD-2 Closed. Mids though sounded better even though clarity took a slight hit. The soundstage though was smaller and I felt that instrument separation was slightly less of quality compared to the LCD-2 Closed. Now coming to the Focal Elegia. I found detail, clarity is much more to my liking. It has great air between instruments and detail pops out effortlessly. Mids are forward while low end and treble do their own thing. The low end for me is something special. It is less than the LCD-2 Closed but more than the Aeon 2 closee. The mid bass is strange though and it's what many have faced as their music hasnt been recorded in way that makes use of the full frequency range, so it may seem low end is lacking but it's just the song not making use of those certain frequencies. With 1.5 - 2db increase at 125 and 250, I hsve found it fixes the issue and 1db at 31 and 62 to add a touch more oomph. The mids on the Elegia are my favourite out of all 3, they are forward, highly detailed and with the slight eq, warmth is added which gives the mids a touch of thickness. Treble is of great quality as well, and I have never found mysellf being fatigued while the other two for some reason did fatigue me slightly. Instrument separation to my ear is also the best of the e as well as soundstage. I also tried swapping to Dekoni Sheepskin earpads. This made the Elegia sound much more similar to the ZMF Eikon. Vert similar mids presentation while treble being smoother. Low end being tighter, faster and hitting harder and mids having a touch less wamrth but better clarity and detail overall while having a bigger soundstage. So for me, personally, the Elegia are my top pick especially if you can get them on sale.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #19 of 36
Maybe the comparison should be with the retuned "Aeon Flow Closed RT" that is only on their website. - similar bass^ to Elegia if I am not mistaken and both currently on tempting sale/promo with dac/amps (I got the Elegia offer, yet to hear either). One a lot lighter but similar portability factor and low impedance.

Jun 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #21 of 36
I hope more people notice these are on sale at crutchfield r now - until the end of the month if I am not mistaken. Reduced price plus a freebie Dragonfly Red. Not sure the relevance of the dragonfly unit but they are popular and might suit these headphones?
I can say since the Elegia has been on sale, it's an amazing bargain. I truly love them and use them every day. If you ever find you need more low end, they handle eq easily as well. Compared to the Dan Clark Audio Aeon 2, I still prefer the Elegia much more. I now have purchased Dekoni Sheepskin earpads and a Cardas Parsec balances cable for them :)

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 36
Just got mine in just now super happy of course got a phone call as soon as i plugged them in ha had to take it though. Past headphones only MDR7 original can hold a candle. These not heavy feeling at all - they might as well be Senns honestly comfort quite high coming from beyers esp. sound impression later - on that thread

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 36
I spent a month with both.

I tested them with a Gilmore Lite Mk1, THX 789, Jotunheim, and an RNHP feed by a Modi Multibit and a Qutest.

I came to the conclusion that the Aeon's is amp picky and the Elegia is source picky. The Elegia sounded very good with well record music feed by the Qutest but felt congested with the Modi. The Aeon's sound great with everything played loudly with the Jotenheim or the Gilmore. But it was all too polite with the RNHP and the 789.

I chose the Aeon's because I use a closed-back to block out the rest of the world and listen to RATM way too loud. If you want headphones for something less raucous and have a good source, then you might enjoy the Elegia's more.

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #25 of 36
Anyone heard the Aeon RT? i will look for thread
edit: none so far
The Aeon RT Open and Closed are just the original Aeons (RT stands for return). I don't believe they made any changes, unlike the Aeon Flow Open Xs released by Drop which is changed from the originals retuned. I have only heard the Aeon 2 Closed - which I now own. I have listened to the Ether CX which is the Drop version of the original Ether Closed. If you are looking for reviews to compare, just search for Aeon to get Aeon RTs.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #26 of 36
The Aeon RT Open and Closed are just the original Aeons (RT stands for retuned). I am not sure how they differ from the Aeon Flow Open Xs released by Drop. I have only heard the Aeon 2 Closed - which I now own. I have listened to the Aeon CX which is the Drop version of the original Ether Closed. If you are looking for reviews to compare, just search for Aeon to get Aeon RTs.

Just to clarify the naming conventions for Dan Clark Audio / Mr. Speakers.

They have two models of planar headphones Aeon and Ether. Both have open and closed back versions. The Aeons are all priced below $1000 and Ethers are priced around $2000. But, it seems you can always pick one up used as well.

Aeon Open Back Models:

Aeon Flow Open RT [Version 1] - Retail Price $500
Aeon Flow Open X [released by Drop] - Unavailable New - they were priced at $500
Aeon 2 Flow Open [Version 2] - Retail Price $900
Aeon Closed Back Models:

Aeon Flow Closed RT [Version 1] - Retail Price $500

Aeon Flow 2 Closed [Version 2] - Retail Price $500
If you are looking at Aeon closed-back I would also consider:

Ether CX (release by drop) - Retail Price $900

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #27 of 36
Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #28 of 36
The Aeon Flow RT are retuned (as in re-tuned which is probably why the RT) versions of the original that were included in a package deal but Dan Clark Audio decided to sell them as well. All of the information included in the post below as well as graphs and comparisons.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/save-big-on-our-retuned-aeon-flow-headphones-only-499.931356/

I just ordered a pair of Aeon Flow RT opened myself.
Bland125 - Thank you for the correction. I have amended my original post.

Jun 27, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #30 of 36
Tempted to get a bass forward planar. Pretty much the only reason I don't have a planar yet, everyone always complaining lack of bass. Hopefully you will let us know how those open back sound.

Yeah, I'm taking a risk with this one but a measured one. If it's not to my liking, it will end up on the resale market. I'm growing tired of my HD58X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back