Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Feb 12, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #586 of 830
@mrspeakers
What do you recommend as an amp for the Aeon 2s closed?
Did you ever think about making angled pads for the Aeon2?
To be honest my fidelio X2 sounds better to me. Maybe it's becase there open with angled pads vs closed.
I think the problem to me is that the soundstage kind of is behind my ears while i'm used to it being more around me and i can't get used to it.
The AEON 2 Closed is not particularly noted for having a wide (or deep) soundstage. In general, closed-back headphones are not very good at simulating a massive, enveloping stage. Any decent open headphone should beat most closed backs in this sole regard.

If staging is very important to you, and you are of no particular need for a closed-back, stick with an open can. :)

Feb 12, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #587 of 830
The AEON 2 Closed is not particularly noted for having a wide (or deep) soundstage. In general, closed-back headphones are not very good at simulating a massive, enveloping stage. Any decent open headphone should beat most closed backs in this sole regard.

If staging is very important to you, and you are of no particular need for a closed-back, stick with an open can. :)
Excellent advice, though I might say that the Aeon 2 Closed do a better job than most other closed headphones I have heard. But open headphones have an inherent advantage in this regard.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #588 of 830
@mrspeakers
What do you recommend as an amp for the Aeon 2s closed?
Did you ever think about making angled pads for the Aeon2?
To be honest my fidelio X2 sounds better to me. Maybe it's becase there open with angled pads vs closed.
I think the problem to me is that the soundstage kind of is behind my ears while i'm used to it being more around me and i can't get used to it.

For amps it's always best to specify if you need a DAC, if your application is portable or desktop, and what your budget is. Solutions exist from $200 and up, and there is also gear we've never heard, especially since the pandemic has caused the industry to miss a year of shows, so far, and we used to rely on the chance to listen to stuff at CanJam to get impressions...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 17, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #589 of 830
For amps it's always best to specify if you need a DAC, if your application is portable or desktop, and what your budget is. Solutions exist from $200 and up, and there is also gear we've never heard, especially since the pandemic has caused the industry to miss a year of shows, so far, and we used to rely on the chance to listen to stuff at CanJam to get impressions...
It's hard to define what i'm looking for. I guess an amp to attach to my dap. (or a streamer/dac/amp combo around a 1000€)
Now i'm just using an Ibasso DX300. When i turn up the volume i can almost earthquake rumble sounds but it's not quite there.
Also would like some more foreward depth. Now the soundstage kind of feels like a backwards V from the middle of my head.
Also i demoed the aeon2 on a DCS bartok with headphone amp.
That really brought out some great bass in them for bass guitar like on Nonpoint - In the Air Tonight. (from the miami vice soundtrack)
So i guess i'm looking for somthing that sounds as good as the Bartok at 1/10 of its price :smile_phones: (i don't mind buying used :))

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #591 of 830
I also would like a $17,250 component for 1/10 the price. I will stayed tuned to see what it turns out to be. :ksc75smile:
Yes Dan were counting on you! :smile_phones:
The thing is the Bartok is a fully integrated system so i don't even know what made the Aeon sound so great.
And it has tons of options and i don't know what was turned on. (like it has crossfeed function)
Was is the power of the headphone amp? The ring dac. Just the system as a whole or somthing else.

Feb 18, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #592 of 830
It's hard to define what i'm looking for. I guess an amp to attach to my dap. (or a streamer/dac/amp combo around a 1000€)
Now i'm just using an Ibasso DX300. When i turn up the volume i can almost earthquake rumble sounds but it's not quite there.
Also would like some more foreward depth. Now the soundstage kind of feels like a backwards V from the middle of my head.
Also i demoed the aeon2 on a DCS bartok with headphone amp.
That really brought out some great bass in them for bass guitar like on Nonpoint - In the Air Tonight. (from the miami vice soundtrack)
So i guess i'm looking for somthing that sounds as good as the Bartok at 1/10 of its price :smile_phones: (i don't mind buying used :))

We have really enjoyed the Schiit Asgard 3, and Magnius/Modius stack, I use these in my office on the lab bench both for test and listening, for affordable gear they're really impressive. Another winner more in the 1/10th the price of the Bartok is the Hugo 2, which really does sound stunning and while I wouldn't call it portable like a DAP it is transportable. Heading up a level the TT2 from Chord is more like 30% of a Bartok but I think it's simply a stellar product. The Topping D30Pro looks like a promising entry in the price/performance category but I'm not sure when it'll ship and haven't heard it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 18, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #593 of 830
I'm waiting for that D30Pro. So you recommend gear that some people call too analytical for the Aeon2?
What about some hybrid tube amps like a Schiit Lyr 3 or Xduoo TA-20. (or will that make the Aeon sound off?)
People say tube amps widen the soundstage. (altho i don't really miss width more like id like to bring it more in front of me)

Feb 18, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #594 of 830
We have really enjoyed the Schiit Asgard 3, and Magnius/Modius stack, I use these in my office on the lab bench both for test and listening, for affordable gear they're really impressive. Another winner more in the 1/10th the price of the Bartok is the Hugo 2, which really does sound stunning and while I wouldn't call it portable like a DAP it is transportable. Heading up a level the TT2 from Chord is more like 30% of a Bartok but I think it's simply a stellar product. The Topping D30Pro looks like a promising entry in the price/performance category but I'm not sure when it'll ship and haven't heard it.

Hey Dan @mrspeakers

Where would you rank Gilmore Lite MK2 (with/without the new Golden Ref Power supply) amongst the schiits and Hugo 2? Also for the magnius+modius combo, is it to drive the A2 in balanced mode for the extra current/power?

thanks!

Feb 20, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #595 of 830
Maybe another question. I read somewhere the Aeon2 has a constant 13ohm impedance on all frequencies.
Is that info correct? Would that mean i do not have to worry about impedance mismatch with a amplifier with high output impedance?

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #596 of 830
About the only thing, fit-wise, that I'd like to improve on the AEON 2 Closed is its clamping force; I'd actually like a little more of it. It's marginally fine the way it is, but I can't help but think that it might slide right off if I'm headbanging too much.

Editing because I'm an idiot. I see how to adjust the band now.

Will post impressions later.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #597 of 830
Maybe another question. I read somewhere the Aeon2 has a constant 13ohm impedance on all frequencies.
Is that info correct? Would that mean i do not have to worry about impedance mismatch with a amplifier with high output impedance?
I think you are asking Dan, and he knows a thousand times more than I do. But my preliminary answer to your question is: the constant impedance of the headphone has very little to do with the RATIO of its impedance to the amplifier's output impedance. A general rule of thumb is that the amp output impedance should be at least 8x lower than the headphone's impedance.

Feb 20, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #598 of 830
Question for you Dan @mrspeakers ... I read your comments in here about the original Aeon 2 tuning versus the Ether CX. That being said, what are your thoughts on the new Aeon 2 Noire (closed) versus the CX? For what it's worth from a personal taste perspective, I run foam only tuning pads on my CX and the perforated pads on my E2 - so I guess I prefer a more "lively" sound in general. I love my CX, but I really like the idea of the slimmer profile and collapsible frame of the A2 since these are my "transportable" cans. My primary source powering them will be a HiBy R5 DAP connected via balanced - specs here: https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r5

Thanks in advance for your input!

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #599 of 830
Hey Dan @mrspeakers

Where would you rank Gilmore Lite MK2 (with/without the new Golden Ref Power supply) amongst the schiits and Hugo 2? Also for the magnius+modius combo, is it to drive the A2 in balanced mode for the extra current/power?

thanks!

I like the unit a lot, I did see one technical analysis that showed power decreasing a bit into a load as low as the Aeon 2, so if you play LOUD it might not be the best pick.

I haven't done a direct a/b vs the Schiit gear but the Hugo 2 is as you'd expect at a different level. I have a magnius and modious on the desk that works just fine, it's a nice clean and warm sounding setup.

There are two things to watch out for in an amp, power output that falls when you go from 32 to 16 ohm, if they publish those specs, and output impedance higher than 2 ohms. Both of those could indicate that power delivery to the headphone won't be adequate. These days most desktop gear seems to be quite happy with low impedance loads, for portable at least 250mW at 16 ohms and desktop 500mW at 16 ohms is recommended.

Question for you Dan @mrspeakers ... I read your comments in here about the original Aeon 2 tuning versus the Ether CX. That being said, what are your thoughts on the new Aeon 2 Noire (closed) versus the CX? For what it's worth from a personal taste perspective, I run foam only tuning pads on my CX and the perforated pads on my E2 - so I guess I prefer a more "lively" sound in general. I love my CX, but I really like the idea of the slimmer profile and collapsible frame of the A2 since these are my "transportable" cans. My primary source powering them will be a HiBy R5 DAP connected via balanced - specs here: https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r5

Thanks in advance for your input!

The CX is a more linear-tuning, the noire will be a bit more like an ETHER 2 with perforated pads but distinct from that, as the Harmon curve tends to have a slightly leaner sound. In a way the Noire splits the difference between the E2 and the CX.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #600 of 830
Anybody tried the Dekoni pads on the Aeon 2 and especially tried to removed them? The adhesive Dekoni uses seems to be much stronger then on the original pads, I dont want to risk damaging the headphone or have some unremovable glue on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back