Aeon 2 closed Impressions and Discussion
Dec 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #196 of 830
So far I've tested my A2C with no inserts, and the thin black foam inserts. I'm kinda leaning to the black foam inserts...anyone else try out the thicker ones yet?

I followed Dan's recommendation to *not* just swap them in and out quickly, so I started with the black foam and left them in place for a few days then pulled them out and listened again with no pads. The difference is not huge, but my preference is still no pads to the black foam ones. I haven't tried the others yet, as my understanding is they just increase the effect of the black foam. I'll give one of the felt pads a try in the near future, but honestly I don't have a lot of motivation as I am quite happy with the sound pad-less.

Edit: I had only the black foam pads with my A1C's, but preferred them padless as well. However, the guy I sold them to (after I got the A2C's) likes them with the foam pads in place. Personal preference reigns....as it should. :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #197 of 830
I've been a fan of open-backed headphones since a buddy of mine bought me a set of Beyerdynamic DT 880's almost 10 years ago. At the time, I never thought about investing $$ into headphones, but that quickly changed once I heard what was possible. Since then, I've been chasing that open sound quality but in a closed set of headphones. Since most of my listening has always been in a work environment, open sets have never really been viable for me. I've bought/sold so many different sets of closed headphones in pursuit of a higher quality sound, but was always left wanting more. Most recently I had been driving the Ether CX's, and while I appreciated a lot about them, they just weren't for me... maybe too neutral for my tastes, but it always felt like they were lacking something. Unlike some folks on these forums, I don't mind using an EQ, but I don't want to feel like I HAVE to EQ a set of headphones for me to enjoy them. In any event, the Ethers were quickly sold after I picked up the Aeon2 Closed. I've had my A2C for a little over a week now, and they truly fit almost everything I've been searching for. I typically like a "fun" headphone with a slight U/V shape to them, and while those can be easily found, I haven't heard a closed headphone that can also deliver in soundstage, imaging and detail like these do for me. Oh, and comfortable to boot! I can truly say these are a fantastic set of closed-back headphones, and would highly recommend them to anyone who was in a similar search as I was. Kudos to Dan Clark.

(Side note - I would love to test drive the Focal Stellia, but haven't had the opportunity and they're a bit out of my price range anyway, so if anyone has impressions of those, would love to hear about your experience.)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #198 of 830
Ok... wow listened to a song I remember as a kid tonight (easily 2010/2011)

Luv Sic Part 3 Nujabes (r.i.p) with Shing02... there's lyrics I never understood before... I heard the sounds but never really clearly understood what he was saying...there you have it folks

hear and understand it all with Aeon 2 Closed

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #200 of 830
Ok... wow listened to a song I remember as a kid tonight (easily 2010/2011)

Luv Sic Part 3 Nujabes (r.i.p) with Shing02... there's lyrics I never understood before... I heard the sounds but never really clearly understood what he was saying...there you have it folks

hear and understand it all with Aeon 2 Closed

I have had this experience with the A2C as well.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #201 of 830
Was thinking of getting a set and wondered if anyone has tried them with the mojo?

Great pairing with Mojo. I ordered a shorter (5’ ft) cable to make this pairing more mobile. Really, the Mojo is fantastic and these headphones will sound even better with something like TT2, but You could easily be end game with these and Mojo, at least for a closed back solution.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #203 of 830
Is it worth upgrading from the AFC 1?

I am thinking about the Focal Stellia or the Aeon 2 Closed.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #206 of 830
Yeah Cascade is certainly more fun and engaging but I just find that more distraction than anything enjoyable

but we each have different traits we value

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #207 of 830
I wonder if I'll like these. I like the MDR-Z1R and ZMF Eikon but hate the Stellia and Cascade. Also didn't like the Aeon Flow v1.

Dec 11, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #209 of 830
I wonder if I'll like these. I like the MDR-Z1R and ZMF Eikon but hate the Stellia and Cascade. Also didn't like the Aeon Flow v1.
Z1R dynamic, bit dark, good bass.
Eikon, as above.

Stellia - Focals unnatural house sound (to me)
Cascade - Too bassy

Aeon 1 - Bit boring.

Those are my guesses :p

Dec 12, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #210 of 830
Z1R dynamic, bit dark, good bass.
Eikon, as above.

Stellia - Focals unnatural house sound (to me)
Cascade - Too bassy

Aeon 1 - Bit boring.

Those are my guesses :p

Pretty close, though I like the Focal Clear and Utopia.

Z1R - Good Bass, odd treble peak
Eikon - Not as good bass but still good, natural treble

Stellia - This music doesn't sound right
Cascade - Mud
Aeon 1 - Boring

Users who are viewing this thread

Back