Advice please - headphone match for Audio-GD DAC 19 DSP and C2 amp?
Sep 9, 2010 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tashlin

New Head-Fier
I recently bought the Audio GD DAC 19 DSP and C2 amp combo (connected using ACSS).  I love the neutral, detailed sound but am having problems with sibilance on my existing headphones - a pair of Hifiman HE5-LE, which I usually use with my EF-5 amplifier and a HRT MS2+ DAC running out of my PC (with no sibilance issues!)

I presume this is because the HE-5LEs are not a particularly good match for the C2?  Can anyone recommend a better one that will preserve the detail and musicality of the DAC/Amp combo but won't suffer the same sibiliance problems?  I have pretty wide ranging music tastes so need a reasonable all rounder.  A decent level of bass response is important to me (albeit I'm not a complete bass head - the HE5-LEs are just about right for me I think).  I also use a set of B&W P5s for portable listening - I really like the sound of these when on the move but want something a bit more 'open sounding' for use at home.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #2 of 4
I adore the combo with my D7000 (see my thoughts and impressions here). They are closed, but will still sound fabulous at home or anywhere else. There is a tiny bit of sibilance on some recordings, but it's typically not bothersome. Bass does get a tad overwhelming at times, but I'm of the opinion that a little too much is better than too little.

Sep 10, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks hahahigh - any other views please?

Also, does anyone have a view on whether upgrading the OPA module (possibly to the Audio-GD Moon) and listening through the RCA connections might help too?

Sep 10, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 4
Hmmm!  It's a good thing you posted this thread...  I was thinking of getting the DAC19 DSP + C2 combo for my HE-5LE.

I'm very interested in knowing what amps people think will pair well with a DAC 19 DSP + HE-5LE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back