Advice on an upgrade path (or on a better question)
Nov 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

elderberry

New Head-Fier
Hello,

When you need advice, go to where the experts are - so - here I am.

I've been reading the forums for a while now, thus I have a few ideas on what I might want to do, but am looking for advice as to whether I'm on track or not.

I listen mostly from my computer. Current set-up is high bitrate mp3 (160 and above) and flac through a soundblaster x-fi extreme audio on altec-lansing 251 5/1 speakers or through my Sennheiser hd-580's. It's adequate but I'm hoping for better.

My son has "borrowed" my 580's and is wanting to get his own set up so I'm using this as an opportunity to upgrade.

I'm interested in the headphone experience more than the speakers, since I'm in a somewhat confined area and a big room speaker setup isn't what I'm looking for.

Where to begin? I need new cans by virtue of my son having mine. He loves the 580's (actually so do I), but I'd rather use this chance to upgrade than merely replace what I have.

Questions: (Total budget ~ $1000) I'm retired, living on a fixed income, so while some, there's not a great deal of wiggle room in the total.

650's would appear to be an upgrade from the 580's, but is there a better path?
I'm seriously considering replacing the x-fi xtreme with a usb attached amp - maybe an Audinst HUD-mx1. Does this make sense?

I'm also looking for an earphone replacement for my shure e2c's which my daughter sat on and broke one of the earpieces.

Has anyone else been through this type of upgrade process? Suggestions as to how to accomplish the upgrade - that is how to wisely allocate the $ so as to achieve the best return on investment, sound wise.

Or is this post merely too subjective to warrant any sort of meaningful suggestions? If so, suggestions on how to be more specific?

Thanks for reading.

Nov 24, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Music preferences?

Classic rock - John Lennon said "Before Elvis, there was nothing". I say "and not very much after the Beatles".

Classical, some( very little) country, Rod Stewart, Great American Songbook.

No hard rock, metal, hip-hop, rap.

Does this help?

Thanks for reading.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I can recomen Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm and while they have high impedance they much more easier to drive from my Auzen X-fi Preiude sound card than others that have much lower one and are much more sensitive and any music i put thru sounds great, I only listening to looseless formats 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back