ADVICE NEEDED!!
May 18, 2011 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

newcomer91

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, i'm looking to buy some closed back, on ear headphones, under £40 preferably. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which headphones to go for. The smaller the better really, and if they folded that would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

May 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 10
What musical genres do you prefer, and where will you be listening? Knowing a little more might shake more suggestions from the community tree . . . so to speak.
smile_phones.gif

Since you ask for a closed design, I am assuming that some sound isolation is needed. Is this the case, or am I reading too much into your original post?

In that price range, you might try the Sennheiser PX 100-II; but those are open. The pricier PX 200-II is closed, but I think it might be just above your target price.

I am afraid I've exhausted my experience with this sort of headphone . . . 

May 20, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 10
Brainwavz M2, Soundmagic PL50, Head Direct R0, Mee M6, Sp51... I have the 2 first of the list, had a Mee too but use the Soundmagic and Brainwavz... they are magic, better than a Sony in ear buds at 90€... I have the MDR500 which are a real S... Compared to Soundmagic and Brainwavz...

May 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Brainwavz M2, Soundmagic PL50, Head Direct R0, Mee M6, Sp51... I have the 2 first of the list, had a Mee too but use the Soundmagic and Brainwavz... they are magic, better than a Sony in ear buds at 90€... I have the MDR500 which are a real S... Compared to Soundmagic and Brainwavz...

Closed back, ON EAR...not IEMs.

And I agree...spend slightly more and get the Senn px 200s.

May 21, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #6 of 10
Something else aswell, i've got a pair of hd558s running from my laptop into a pretty standard DAC, the impedance on them is 50ohms, do i need/can you recommend any good cheap amps for this??

May 22, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Just to be clear, your setup is Notebook > DAC > HD-558, right? If so, then I would recommend an amp. Since this is for home/office, don't overlook that old receiver in the closet as a headphone amp. That would certainly be the inexpensive route of choice I think. 

If you need to buy something, the Little Dot I+ might be interesting; or, for about another $100US, the Schiit Asgard got a lot of buzz last year. FiiO is another popular brand, and the E9 might work for you. However, I can not make a recommendation one way or the other as I have not owned any of them. You might ask this question in the Headphone Amps (full-size) forum.

May 23, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Amazon have px 200 ii's for £42 atm, or the sennheiser hd 228 for £30.50 if you want cheaper.  Not heard either mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back