Advice needed please - Woo WA6 + Schiit Modi or WA7?
Jul 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Josh05

Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm planning on buying the AKG Q701 headphones and pairing it with one of the above source's and amp. Just wanting to know which setup would be better? the WA7 would roughly be $100 more. Thanks

Jul 19, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 11
Thank you. After a heap of research I think this combination will give me the sound I'm after. I can't demo unfortunately and will have to buy online. I already have fairly revealing speakers so the way people describe the soundstage and revealing nature the akgs have really appealed to me. From what I read the Woo might help to stop the akgs from being a little fatiguing during long listening sessions. Thanks again :)

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 11
AKGs are really good with the woo amps.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 11
I have been using Q701 -> WA7 for a while, often for several hours non-stop and never noticed any fatigue. 
Can't compare with the other setup you're considering - one sure thing is it wouldn't look as good. If the WA6 is indeed less powerful then it may be a concern, as the WA7 has just enough power to drive the 701s. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 11
I ended up having to go with the WA6 and Modi combination guys because I'm impatient and www.addictedtoaudio.com.au didn't have the fireflies in stock
redface.gif
Anyway I'm really stoked with the combination, its detailed, deep and not fatiguing which is what i was really looking for. The cans and amp probably have around 30 hours on them now and have already started to sound quite a bit better than straight out of the box.
k701smile.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 11
  I ended up having to go with the WA6 and Modi combination guys because I'm impatient and www.addictedtoaudio.com.au didn't have the fireflies in stock
redface.gif
Anyway I'm really stoked with the combination, its detailed, deep and not fatiguing which is what i was really looking for. The cans and amp probably have around 30 hours on them now and have already started to sound quite a bit better than straight out of the box.
k701smile.gif

I just placed an order myself for the WA6 with the Sophia Princess rectifier tube to use with the Grado RS1i's, and also have the same concern as you about using the Shiit Modi with this set up. I currently use the Modi with either the Magni or the LD1+ and I think it has great detail, maybe you could share your experience with the WA6/Modi with me, thanks.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I found the WA6 and Modi worked really well together but I also found that the WA6 does have potential to work even better with better DACs. My Rega DAC from my speaker setup does sound a fair bit better than the Modi but for the money, I don't think you can go wrong with it. The Modi should sound good with most combinations because of its design to be neutral.

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #10 of 11
I found the WA6 and Modi worked really well together but I also found that the WA6 does have potential to work even better with better DACs. My Rega DAC from my speaker setup does sound a fair bit better than the Modi but for the money, I don't think you can go wrong with it. The Modi should sound good with most combinations because of its design to be neutral.

Good to hear, I also have a Meridian203 from the early 90's which I can compare and see which one I like better. Thanks for the reply.

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 11
I own the WA6 and Modi.
This rig is the desktop for my computer, running several sets of cans from it.
I like the WA6 headphone ohm switch so that I can properly use both high and low resistance cans from it.

I also LOVE what tube rolling one can do with the WA6....just looking at the Fireflies tells me I'm limited on that issue.
It's really kind of amazing how much you  can customize your sound sig with tube rolling, it's become a kind of "thing" for me to match my tube combos to the particular cans and the type of music I am playing.
If you enjoy experimenting and playing around with your audio gear, there's NOTHING more satisfying than tube rolling,
Some people say it's partially placebo...I cannot agree with them.

I have tried several different DACs with the WA6, and I think that I find the Modi an extremely appealing combo choice. For a sometimes cluttered desktop, it's smaller footprint has a lot going for it, especially given it's impeccable operation. I could use my BiFrost, but, in trials, I don't find such a great difference to warrant having to move my computer over. 
wink_face.gif

I choose to leave my BiFrost on the rack housing the Lyr and the the LCD2s.

There are several nice tube rolling threads on here, one of which was my prime source for guidance re' WA6 tube rolling.
It's been kind of fun to see how inexpensively I can shop for tubes,(CORRECT tubes, matched and in excellent electronic condition), and then spend lovely hours whiling away snowy or rainy crap weather days trying the different combs for particular sound sigs.

I know this thread is approaching a year old now.... but there's never anything wrong with ongoing feedback about a subject that can be as engaging as your WA6 and how you can grow what you do with it!
I hope you are enjoying the possibilities you are discovering with your rig.
cool.gif

If you are interested in what I'm doing with my tubes please feel free to PM me, or reply on this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back