Advice for non-audiophile
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Champi94

New Head-Fier
Hi guyz !

I am a new user on the forum and it's a pleasure for me to join this community.

I am not particularly someone that can be qualified of audiophile but I like good audio quality of course and I am willing to do my research and put the price for good cans.

My question is the following:

I would like to buy new headphones, full-size, for Iphone or Mp3 player, mostly for when I am walking around in the subway or in the streets (I live in Paris) between 120 and 170 dollars. I like to listen to Electronic music and love good bass and 'deep' sound if that makes any sense.
The problem is, even if I read a lot about headphones characteristics, I still cannot make up my mind about what my headphones' characteristics should be.

This is what I came up with to 'narrow' my search so far:

Frequency Range : 20Hz (hertz) to 20KHz is fine / 16 hz to 28Khz would be better.
Impedance: 38 ohms preferably (I don t know why better thant 32 though)
Sensitivity : 95 db and up (105 preferably)
Driver unit size : 40 mm
Jack : 3.5 mm / Material : ??
Cable Length 9.8 ft.
Any other important specifications I would have forgotten?

So what do you think ? What would be YOUR settings ? What would be your headphones recommendation ? (Grado, Akg, beats...?)

Thank you for your attention and your help!

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 6
Plain technical specs are nothing to worry about, for the most part they are useless for understanding how a headphone  sounds. If you are going to use them in the streets/subway, i suggest you something closed... AKG K518DJ, Senn PX200-II could do a good job for your needs.

Cheers
K.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 6
I do not think you need to worry about those technical details. For most parts they do not indicate what the headphones really sound like.
For impedance, there is a difference between 250 ohms and 50 ohms, but I think the difference between 30 and 60 ohms can be ignored, because both your iPhone and MP3 should drive them well. (Actually I am currently using iPhone to drive a pair of 250 ohms DT880 pro, and I personally find the sound to be superior). You probably want to look at whether the cable is coiled or not. I found straight cable more comfortable when you are walking around.

Closed headphones are probably better for you, as you don't want the noise from outside or to disturb others when you crank up the volume.

From your description, I think M50 are good for you. Very bassy, actually too much for me. But they do sound very good. SHR840 is also an option. They have great comments. I listened to them once... I found the bass to veil over other sounds. I could be wrong for my listening was brief. But, SHR840 are very heavy. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 6
Advice?  Mine is 'become an audiophile'.

Jan 16, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Answers in blue, PM sent.

Quote:
The problem is, even if I read a lot about headphones characteristics, I still cannot make up my mind about what my headphones' characteristics should be.

The problems is that headphones' specifications don't tell you about how they sound, mostly because they are not precise enough.

Frequency Range : 20Hz (hertz) to 20KHz is fine / 16 hz to 28Khz would be better.

This spec is totally useless because 20-20000 ± 3 dB is way better than 10-40000 ± 10 dB, and headphone manufacturers don't have a standard margin

Why? unless you know the output impedance of your audio out, it's useless, and 32 is close to 38 anyway, and some of the best headphones are very high impedances HD 650 are 300 ohms.

That is actually he only useful spec, better have a better sensitivity if you plan to use them directly out of a mp3 player.

Driver unit size : 40 mm

Most decent headphones have 40/50 mm drivers anyway.

Jack : 3.5 mm / Material : ??

Not important, the golden jack are actually there to protect the jack from corrosion.

Cable Length 9.8 ft.

Why not?

Any other important specifications I would have forgotten? So what do you think ? What would be YOUR settings ? What would be your headphones recommendation ? (Grado, Akg, beats...?)

So, if you followed my answer, specs are not important, and headphone manufacturers don't print the relevant ones anyway, the only thing you can do is rely on reviews and your own hearing.

That said, some popular option at this price point (with good bass) the ATH-M50 or the Shure SH840 if you are willing to spend more.

EDIT: I didn't see that a previous post recommended the same headphones as I, so x2 for M50 and SH840.

Jan 16, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Hi guyz !

I am a new user on the forum and it's a pleasure for me to join this community.

I am not particularly someone that can be qualified of audiophile but I like good audio quality of course and I am willing to do my research and put the price for good cans.

My question is the following:

I would like to buy new headphones, full-size, for Iphone or Mp3 player, mostly for when I am walking around in the subway or in the streets (I live in Paris) between 120 and 170 dollars. I like to listen to Electronic music and love good bass and 'deep' sound if that makes any sense.

I don't get why many newbies think less ohm's is inherently easier to drive, especially considering I'd think most people here are old enough to have taken an electronics course in high school/college. In all technicalities, lower ohm's is harder to drive. High impedance and low sensitivity can play louder with less current, but requires more voltage. Low impedance takes more current to play well and less voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back