Advice for an amateur ??
Jun 9, 2010 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

killer401

New Head-Fier
so i was checking out some reviews n stuff and landed on this website. I found that people here are really respectful compared to other websites so i'm posting my question here..

i'm a total newby when it comes to headphones ... i've broken tons of earphones while listening to my ipod and thats why now i've decided to buy a headphone.. 

i'm gonna listen to rock mainly .. some classic rock .. maybe some pop sometimes .. so good base is not a big preference for me .. also i'm looking for something with good durability and ofcourse style .. i was looking for some funky stuff but i guess they become too expensive when it comes to quality and style ..

i was looking at some arial7 tanks and choppers .. so far i found mixed reviews for them ..i'm not so sure about them now .. but yeah they've got some goood style there ... should i buy em ??

any other good pair of headphones you guys know .. that would be good for me .. my budget is $100 ....

and i live in toronto, so if by any chance, anyone knows any good shops where i can find headphones in GTA then please lemme know .. like in downtown or something .. (i know there are some around there)

thnx a tonn guys ..

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 17
Questions:
Do you wear them outdoors? If yes, look for iems or closed headphones. If no, look for open headphones or iems.
Many people , when they come up with a $100 budget, people suggest Grados SR-60,80 or Allessandro MS1. As you start to invest in to head-fi and read more posts, you will most likely incur more damages to your wallet over time. What I would suggest, is to as someone from GTA and see if they know shops around that allows you to try out headphones. 

If you do intend to stick to strictly your budget, I really think you should leave this site after you find your $100 headphones.
Good luck with everything

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 17
I will recommend the Sennheiser HD 203s. I would also recommend the Sony MDR V6's, but they take a LOT of burn in before they sound good. Plus they are big and and probably not what a newbie would want to be seen with...at least just yet! Hah.

Also, the Koss Porta Pro are good for light portable cheapies.

Anyway, I will refer you to my thread on the Sennheisers:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/496301/sennhesier-hd-203-review-and-impressions-pre-burn-in

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 17
Listening to rock, want style, under 100. 

Audio-Technica ES7.

Jun 9, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 17
I personlly liked my K518's with rock/rap, got them for around 40. I'd say grado but I don't think you want anything open if you are going outside or in a public place.

Make sure to take a stroll through the for sale section to see if you like anything used in your price range, a lot can be had for 100 dollars used :p

Jun 10, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 17
I have the Sennheiser HD 238 and I have been fairly impressed with them. My only complaint with them is that they will distort a little bit at very high volume levels. Otherwise they are great headphones. Also as it has already been said you really can't beat the koss portapro's. Also if your looking at iem's I would also suggest the klipsch s4's.

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #7 of 17
I'll highly suggest the Koss Porta Pro's too.....£20 and the sound quality is really good. Fairly discreet looking for on ear headphones. Can't argue with that to be fair lol. Great bass on them too so I've found.

Jun 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 17
Future Shop has the Shure SRH750 DJ on sale for $129.99 if you can stretch your budget a bit. Regular $189.99. According to the site some stores still have stock.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 17
The AERIAL7 Tanks are awesome...I listen to music with  a lot of bass really loud and never have a problem!!! I freaking love them!!! plus they are super durable....you should definitely buy them you will not be disappointed. I got free shipping with A7PHONES...not sure if it works anymore but its worth a shot....lemme know if the code still works! They are only $80 but better than my old headphones that cost wayyy more...I am sooo stoked on my Tanks!!!

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 17
Something gives me the impression that those AERIAL7 Tanks are just like Dr. Dre Beats, Skullcandy's etc: Very bassy, sound like crap but people who haven't heard better cans like Denon D5000, DT990 etc think they sound really good. I am not saying that they are crap, just from your observations it seems they are just like crappy bassy headphones that many new-comers use. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 17
If you're located in a bigger metro area, you should have a few various hi-fi audio shops around. The best bet it to listen around to see what you'd like. This also lets you hear the difference between an open sounding headphone and closed. As much as people can explain the sound, it really comes down to what pleases you the most when you are actually listening to the cans.

Look at the various companies' websites for Grado, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica, Sony, Denon and check for local sellers. Usually if they are listed they should have at least one of their cans for you to try out. Watch out though, I know at least for the Grado dealers page it lists the business address for online only stores. So call before going. 

Listed above are some of the most popular brands on the this forum, but there are always more headphones to look at! I always recommend the SR-80i for rock, but like others said, they are open and not ideal for travel or loud areas. 

Welcome to Head-Fi, enjoy your stay. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #13 of 17
I am going to disagree with you Stang...the Aerial7's I bought are so much better than my old ones...I have had many "DJ Quality headphones" and these are by far my favorite...and I agree with you that the Dr. Dre Beats and Skullcandy's are a buncha bassy crap. I had some way back but then got serious about my music and I choose Aerial7's. They seem like a company not just making another trendy headphone but making sound quality their number one priority. The sound quality is insane...w/ or w/out any bass. Give them a chance before you put them in the same category as Dr. Dre Beats and Skullcandy...they are far better. 

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 17
The best advice I can give is to RUN AWAY. Atl+F4 (or if you own a Mac, hit Command+W) and never look back. 

If you're still curious... then:

If you're just using them indoors and don't have to worry about music leaking out and bothering anyone, I would recommend the Grado SR80i for rock. You can also try the SR60i or Alessandro MS1, but I don't have any personal experience with them. From my experience with the SR80i and what I've read about the SR60i and MS1, they work great unamped straight out of an iPod.

Just be aware that those three phones really leak a lot of noise both in and out. It leaks so much out, they might as well just be external speakers on your face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back