Advice: ~$100 Closed Headphones (Sennheiser HD448 vs. Shure SRH440)
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ignignokt

New Head-Fier
I hate to just jump right in a well-established forum and demand buyers advice from the pros, but seems like the most solid advice I will find. So here goes. 

Been looking for a decent pair of headphones online for about a week, and my price point seems to always reveal two pairs: the Sennheiser HD448's and the Shure SRH440's. I'm no audiophile, just a listener who wants to step it up a notch. I'm mostly going to be listening to unamplified Macs and iPhones at home, and to Trance techno (not nearly as bassy as Dubstep), Film scores, and some Beatles and assorted classic rock. 

I'm also going to be doing a little Final Cut action for class, but not too much out of the lab. 

I don't know, they're both around $100 on Amazon. Both seem relatively equal as far as sound quality. The Senn's seem to be extremely comfortable and more stylish. The Shures are less comfortable, but are more durable as well as collapsable. 

Question is, is the extra $20 worth it for exceptional comfort and a little more style (not going to be used out of the house a lot), at the loss of durability (and perhaps a tiny increase in sound quality)?

Thanks guys. Any other headphones you might recommend around the same price would be great too. 

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 2
While both headphones are excellent options, I would lean toward the Shures.  They seem to be more durable than the HD448, they have a foldable design, and a easy to replace cord.  Though, the HD448 might be a bit more comfortable than the SRH440. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back