Advanced AcousticWerkes W900 Hybrid Flagship Thread
Feb 14, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #121 of 339
@crinacle
: thanks for the review! How does the W900 respond to EQ? Is it possible to tune its subbass to match the W500?

Yes actually, EQing the sub-bass up does make it essentially perfect for my tastes. The dynamic driver responds very very well if one follows proper EQ procedures (pre-amp, gain values etc)

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #124 of 339
Feb 16, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #125 of 339

Tons of words about the (beautifully made) shells, few words about the sound and technicalities, no words about comparisons to other CIEM TOTL´s. This is a review I do NOT like.

I figured it was just an amateur review.  Honestly, we are spoiled by the likes of Twister6 and Crinacle.  I was turned on to AAW because of these guys and I've made my way through the lineup because of them.  I've been in this hobby for many years and I love when I find a reviewer who hears things like me.  I know I can follow their recommendation to a good purchase.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #126 of 339

I figured it was just an amateur review.  Honestly, we are spoiled by the likes of Twister6 and Crinacle.  I was turned on to AAW because of these guys and I've made my way through the lineup because of them.  I've been in this hobby for many years and I love when I find a reviewer who hears things like me.  I know I can follow their recommendation to a good purchase.

Yeah, you´re right, Twister6 or Crinacle, I also like their reviews, and even more so Average Joe´s and flinkenick´s reviews from theheadphonelist!

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #130 of 339
Have you notice W300 and W500 have a distinct sound, it feels like a speaker trapped in a tin can. Try putting a dynamic earphone in a coke can and blast the volume. You will get what I mean. The louder you go, it become more noticeable.

I measured my listening volume to be at 80dB (90dB 85dB at maximum) so if you're talking about volumes beyond that then I can't say I've experienced it.

Also, there's no such thing as secrets here unless you yourself have worked with AAW's suppliers and under a NDA.

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #131 of 339
I measured my listening volume to be at 80dB (90dB 85dB at maximum) so if you're talking about volumes beyond that then I can't say I've experienced it.

Also, there's no such thing as secrets here unless you yourself have worked with AAW's suppliers and under a NDA.

80db is still noticeable. It just sounded like a speaker in a coke can. Nothing more, nothing less. I have experience making earphones and I've experience such issue in the past. You can try listening to W300 and W500 properly again. You will know what I mean. Try comparing it with putting a speaker in an empty can with a small hole on top. Then pull the speaker out again and listen. You will get what I mean. You can compare with UM's hybrid. UM doesn't have that sound. :) Just my opinion, cheers. Most important is you enjoy what you have.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #132 of 339
80db is still noticeable. It just sounded like a speaker in a coke can. Nothing more, nothing less. I have experience making earphones and I've experience such issue in the past. You can try listening to W300 and W500 properly again. You will know what I mean. Try comparing it with putting a speaker in an empty can with a small hole on top. Then pull the speaker out again and listen. You will get what I mean.

I don't have the W300 or W500 now so I can't confirm your claims. The W900 uses the same dynamic driver and I don't get that issue. I think I know what you're talking about; I've heard that kind of weird disjointedness in Earsonics and Clear Tune IEMs. But not in AAW.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #133 of 339
Not only AAW, Shure has that problem too. I call it Acoustic back flow reverb. I don't have not auditioned W900 yet, so I can't say for sure for W900 but looking at the same design, same problem would be expected. Maybe less, coz W500 has less back flow compared with W300.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #134 of 339
Not only AAW, Shure has that problem too. I call it Acoustic back flow reverb. I don't have not auditioned W900 yet, so I can't say for sure for W900 but looking at the same design, same problem would be expected. Maybe less, coz W500 has less back flow compared with W300.
I didn't notice anything special on my AAW900. Is it a soundstage thing or on a special frequency? Because the AAW900 has an open stage, no such thing. And to be honest, I auditioned the AAW500 and it didn't sound like that either. Did you make sure your head was not in a box when auditioning?

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #135 of 339
I didn't notice anything special on my AAW900. Is it a soundstage thing or on a special frequency? Because the AAW900 has an open stage, no such thing. And to be honest, I auditioned the AAW500 and it didn't sound like that either. Did you make sure your head was not in a box when auditioning?

I am 150% sure what I am talking about. Any ill designed dynamic earphone has that kind of sound. Simple, just put your hand phone speaker playing some song facing an empty coke can opening. You will get what I mean. Well, I cannot tolerate such sound so it doesn't work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back