Adopting a Kitten?
Aug 15, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at some website that listed some kind of odor that cats hated, and if you sprayed or applied it to certain surfaces the cat would avoid it? have anyone (or soozie) had any sucess with this product?

They're supposed to hate eucalyptus oil and anything citric but I haven't had any success with that at all. Either Ollie has no sense of smell or he likes it
smily_headphones1.gif

You could try one of those air-freshener blocks near the computer as they smell very strong, that might keep him away. Of course, if you get the kitten (rather than an adult cat) you can 'train' him from the start.
  1. So if you don't want him on the bed - remove him immediately
  1. If you don't want him to 'beg' at the table, don't give him scraps
As it happens, Ollie's allowed to sleep on the bed, but as I don't like the thought of him begging at the table, I never feed him scraps, and he never begs! Be as consistent as you can from the beginning and it should pay off. The one thing I will say is that the bond with a cat can be extremely rewarding - the cat gives us nothing, costs us money and traipses round the house with muddy feet and dead things stuck to its tail, and then we reward it with kisses and food and toys, how much more rewarding does it get?? Anyway, you sound exactly the type of person who would be a great 'parent' for any cat. I wish you the best of luck, you're about to have a whole lot of fun!
icon10.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #32 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is Joannie when she was about 8 weeks old,

How did you manage to insert such big pics? I can't insert anything bigger than the 25MB allowed, which is tiny. How did you do it? By the way, your kitten is edible!

Aug 15, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're supposed to hate eucalyptus oil and anything citric but I haven't had any success with that at all. Either Ollie has no sense of smell or he likes it
smily_headphones1.gif

You could try one of those air-freshener blocks near the computer as they smell very strong, that might keep him away. Of course, if you get the kitten (rather than an adult cat) you can 'train' him from the start.
  1. So if you don't want him on the bed - remove him immediately
  1. If you don't want him to 'beg' at the table, don't give him scraps
As it happens, Ollie's allowed to sleep on the bed, but as I don't like the thought of him begging at the table, I never feed him scraps, and he never begs! Be as consistent as you can from the beginning and it should pay off. The one thing I will say is that the bond with a cat can be extremely rewarding - the cat gives us nothing, costs us money and traipses round the house with muddy feet and dead things stuck to its tail, and then we reward it with kisses and food and toys, how much more rewarding does it get?? Anyway, you sound exactly the type of person who would be a great 'parent' for any cat. I wish you the best of luck, you're about to have a whole lot of fun!
icon10.gif

I have no intention to feed my cat human food, as I've seen what that does to dogs.

thanks for all the pointers
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
30 minutes a day will be no problem at all.

An adult cat is also an option, I did not consider that, they are also much cheaper to adopt.

Would a kitten have problems being at home alone from 8-3 while I have class? I only have class three days a week.

If the 8-3 is a problem, maybe an adult cat is a better idea.

thanks for the info!

i really think you should get an adult or at least slightly older cat.... as they are a lot easier to care.... and do less damage to your home

during first few days to weeks or even months (depending on the cat) to get used to the new environment, and if you have dog.... you have to introduce them slowly...

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #35 of 44
I have tried one of those sprays that repel cats due to the scent. It worked pretty well for me. I was trying to keep my 2 cats off of the couch. They weren't climbing on it or scratching it but when they were chasing each other they would be up & down the couch just trying to get after each other! The spray did work to keep them off of the couch. I think its worth a try.

Aug 16, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really think you should get an adult or at least slightly older cat.... as they are a lot easier to care.... and do less damage to your home

during first few days to weeks or even months (depending on the cat) to get used to the new environment, and if you have dog.... you have to introduce them slowly...

Agreed, I've kind of decided on aiming for the 9 month - 2 year old area.

not only are they cheaper to adopt, but I think for the reasons everyone has listed, both me and the cat will be happier.

Aug 16, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you manage to insert such big pics? I can't insert anything bigger than the 25MB allowed, which is tiny. How did you do it? By the way, your kitten is edible!

I put them on Photobucket and the copied (IMG code) from there.

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #38 of 44
Cats are wonderful. I've had at least one my whole life.
Getting a kitten is a great idea, just be warned that they're even pointier than when they're grown up.
Their claws are smaller (sharper) and they don't know how (not) to use them...
smily_headphones1.gif
Still totally worth it.

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #39 of 44
My wife (fiance at the time) and I got a cat when we first moved in to a new apartment in a new city. We found him on craigslist. There was a woman who found him, his sister, and mom in the attic of a school. They were then taken to a vet office where they were until we took one of them home.

Neither one of us had ever had a cat before and I was the only one who had raised a puppy before. The only thing easier about raising the kitten was the litter box training compared to a dog.

Potty training our kitten was as easy as showing him the litter box once. He's still never messed up (2 years later). However... he gets places you never expect. There is no place in the house, no matter how high up or how tight that he can't get to. He'll get behind counters, into cabinets through holes you never saw before, up onto refrigerators and jump from cabinet to cabinet. They also like to play with things like wires and strings (sometimes chewing through them). I never had a problem with wires but he still eats our shoelaces if we forget to put them away. They also like to pounce anything that moves (including you when you're sleeping).

Other than that, he's very lovable. He's at the door when we get home, lays with us in bed, jumps up on our laps when we're watching TV, walks us to the door when we leave, even comes and gets us when we forget to feed him. They're remarkable animals, but they need a lot of attention if you ever want some of theirs.

guster.jpg

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya know, even as the owner of a cat that looks pretty much just like the one pictured I still laughed at that.

[size=large]Most people that dislike cats have never had their own[/size].

I've noticed this alot, I was even one of them.

I really can't explain why I disliked cats, but I seem to have gotten over it enough that I am considering adopting one
tongue.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #43 of 44
I've been a dog person too until I adopted a kitten. Then I realized how inately clean they were. (Kitten used to go underneath the house to perform...dirty work.) Couple that with cuteness and who can't love them really?

BW-kitten.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back