Adopting a Kitten?
Aug 15, 2007 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

terance

1000+ Head-Fier
I have been a dog person my entire life, but with a dog comes a lot of work. The biggest problem being taking the dog outside every hour or so and not being able to leave them at home for long peroids of time.

I saw this little guy
get_image.asp

He is pretty much adorable and I have never owned a cat. So my question is, what will I need to get for when I bring a cat home?

- Litter Box
- Cat Litter
- ???
- ???

Thanks Head-Fi

Aug 15, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 44
before thinking about what to get for a kitten...

you have to understand the difference between an adult cat and kitten... it takes a lot of energy to take care of a kitten.... but also a lot of fun and easier to teach the kitten

some cat owners suggested for a first time cat owner, adult cat would be more appropriate

also, you have to spend at least 30mins per day with the cat.... so please dont think cat do not require high level of care

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 44
any animal requires care and pacience, you have to spend time with them, especialy when young, its quite easy for an animals health to deteriorate when abandoned,

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 44
Kittens can be fun, but take time and patience. There's a risk of having a smelly house and expensive upkeep (vet., food, litter...) Also you should not get a pet unless you plan on caring for it for it's full lifespan. That said I would do not regret getting a cat. Also in general a cat should be less work than a dog. They tend to be more independent, atleast when adults. For example, Leaving home for a day or two is ok for a cat if you leave it enough food and water. Unlike most dogs, a cat is less likely to scarf down all the food and leave the resulting mess on the rug.

There are even some audiophile considerations. I cringe every time my cat jumps on and off my speakers
frown.gif
and fortunately she doesn't chew on cables.

Should you decide on it here is a good set of into articles.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/ca...d=1&acatid=156

One more thing, do consider a pet from a shelter, I'm told many shelters are overrun with cats this year (atleast near me in the US.)

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 44
Also, don't get it just because it's cute. Believe me, "cute" will soon be the last thing that comes to your mind when you think of your cat...

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before thinking about what to get for a kitten...

you have to understand the difference between an adult cat and kitten... it takes a lot of energy to take care of a kitten.... but also a lot of fun and easier to teach the kitten

some cat owners suggested for a first time cat owner, adult cat would be more appropriate

also, you have to spend at least 30mins per day with the cat.... so please dont think cat do not require high level of care

30 minutes a day will be no problem at all.

An adult cat is also an option, I did not consider that, they are also much cheaper to adopt.

Would a kitten have problems being at home alone from 8-3 while I have class? I only have class three days a week.

If the 8-3 is a problem, maybe an adult cat is a better idea.

thanks for the info!

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by terance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would a kitten have problems being at home alone from 8-3 while I have class? I only have class three days a week.

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Once the kitten/cat is used to your house/apartment, it would be fine to be left alone during this period.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 44
Remember to factor in money for a spay/neuter, as well as vaccinations and such if it's an outdoor cat. Many humane societies will subsidize the cost of a spay/neuter or even do it for free nowadays. Also, cat food, some toys, etc.

Kittens are pretty easygoing and will usually use a litter box with very little prompting. Cats in general do not require as much attention as dogs. You may have a bit of work convincing the cat and dog to get along with each other
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember to factor in money for a spay/neuter, as well as vaccinations and such if it's an outdoor cat. Many humane societies will subsidize the cost of a spay/neuter or even do it for free nowadays. Also, cat food, some toys, etc.

Kittens are pretty easygoing and will usually use a litter box with very little prompting. Cats in general do not require as much attention as dogs. You may have a bit of work convincing the cat and dog to get along with each other
wink.gif

I have taken this into consideration, one think I like about the missouri humane society is the adoption fee covers all of the vaccinations, as well as a few months worth of follow up visits.

While the price is a little hefty, I think the costs are more for the follow up visits and the package that comes with the kitten.

Thanks for all of the usefull information guys, this has helped a lot!

-Matt

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 44
We adopted two kittens (one 8 weeks, with a severe upper respiratory infection, that required medication, and one four month), three weeks apart. We both work full time, and we were able to cope, although it's a bit hectic keeping up with two kittens! Much havoc was wrought, a lamp broken, etc. They really don't demand that you be there all day long, but do spend as much time as possible with them. Cosmo, my avatar pic, follows me around like a dog.

An adult cat is a lot less work than a kitten, but kittens are a blast. They love to play, and by spending time with them you can seriously bond, moreso than with most older cats. The kitten moments are priceless, IMO.

Depending on the shelter, the cost of spaying/neutering may be included in the adoption fee. Our was, as well as the first vet visit. City shelters tend to be less expensive than private shelters, at least in our town. The local adoption agency wants like $80, plus vets fees. The city shelter was $35, and that included spay/neuter and the first vet visit.

Be sure to spend some time at the shelter with prospective adoptees. Cats tend to choose their owners, and you can often tell very quickly which cat is for you. Cosmo and I bonded almost instantly.

Edit:
Oh yes, and lots of toys. Also a scratching post or mat, to help save your furniture. Don't bother with catnip until at least six months, kittens don't respond to it. A squirt bottle or gun is useful for training purposes, like keeping him/her off the table, counters, etc.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, don't get it just because it's cute. Believe me, "cute" will soon be the last thing that comes to your mind when you think of your cat...

My cat is still cute after eight years, even after developing diabetes. She's so cute that I will say here that I wuvies her.

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Superpredator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My cat is still cute after eight years, even after developing diabetes. She's so cute that I will say here that I wuvies her.

My cat is six. He was just laying on my desk. I was biting his soft little ear, softly, while whispering, "who's a good kitty?" I had to put him down because the was laying on my keyboard and the document I was working on began to look like this:

a;fjd;ajklsdfp[;oiajsdfp[;ijq[a'iewfj'pIWHJREG'PVIHfaqdswkfj'aks
fasdfa'mndv'cjA'SPIDGF['IREWQHG[HQERGJ['QIJEWDFOPJ'psjdf['pjew'pgf asdf aqSDF
OKDJGFPIY 09435U70T UGHJADSNGFPQasdfg 53y7n3687mwsaef'

AJFOIRE9-236JPSUFAIJF[U5@#$!@%@! gwb^%hb@w

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We adopted two kittens (one 8 weeks, with a severe upper respiratory infection, that required medication, and one four month), three weeks apart.

Pretty much the same story here as well. We had a 1 year old cat and decided to adopt another one. So we ended getting a 2 month old cat, which the adopting company said was in completely good health and fine. Turns out he had a severe upper respiratory infection and tons of worms, which we had to shell out lots of cash to take care of. Doesn't mean that I don't love the little guy though.

But to pretty much echo what everyone has been saying, kittens are a ton of work. They require a lot more attention than older cats, but they're just so darned cute that I think you should just go ahead and get one if there's a chance.

Oh, and our cats really like the Drinkwell Water Fountain. Keeps the water flowing and fresh, I'd seriously consider getting one.

drinkwellcat.jpg

Aug 15, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 44
carefull when you say "i had to put him down", its usualy a eufemism for euthanasia,

a kitten is cute, but as soon as it starts shapening its claws, make sure you get some kind of scratch pone of it and some chew toys,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back