Admit to it: you wear headphones in public that you shouldn't!
Jan 18, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #106 of 308
Normally just my Etymotic ER-6s which don't notice much at all, although the way they stick straight out has resulted in me getting one or two looks.
Once I had them in, with the cord wrapped around my ears and dark specs on and a military police car drove by me and slowed down.
eek.gif

When I had AKG 26Ps, people used to look at them as I walked by. I guess they thought that they look cool.

I am always pleased to see people wearing Grados, one day I saw guy downtown with some on and I just had to simile and hod at him with the hope that we would notice my Etymotics and figure I was a head-fi type and not just a weirdo on the street.
I am still not sure what I would do if I saw a girl with grados on, maybe propose to her on the spot.

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #107 of 308
rs1smile.gif
I listen to my Grado SR 125's in my car! My car-stereo got ripped-off a year-ago, and until last week, I had no-tunes in my ride. Now, I use my portable stuff in my car, and the sound has never been-better. In fact, I doubt I could achieve this level-of sound in my car, without spending several thousand. Sure, I get looks at the stoplights, but who cares? Not to mention, my cans help keep my ears warm on those cold winter days.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #108 of 308
I wear my HD201s out about as much as I wear my KSC 35s. If anyone's looking, I haven't noticed.

I see a fair amount of Koss UR-19s walking around town. Also, I've seen a surprising number of those awful Sony DJ cans - the big silver ones that aren't the V300. What are those? V7s? They cost an armload considering how bad they are. All the pairs of these I've seen at the local coffee shop have at least one gimbal being held on with a twist tie or rubber band.

Occasionally, I'll see someone with some good cans. Saw a kid (whom I later learned runs sound up at the school with another of my audio geek buddies) with some e2cs. Saw a well-monied looking exchange student with some er4s in his iPod. I thought about bugging him and trying to strike up some headphone conversation in Japanese, but getting someone's attention when they have er4s in is a fool's errand
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #110 of 308
for a while (before i sold it) i had the k501's and a thing of women's deodorant on me at all times, strutting around college campus like some dork. i get the weirdest looks and great comments from everyone who knew my name.

i will continue this tradition when headroom finally forks over a pair of k701's to me. women's deodorant will also continue...
smily_headphones1.gif

ps: the deodorant pack is my cmoy case

Jan 18, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #111 of 308
i wear my hd 280 pro's where ever i go... unless i'm with my girlfriend or in a car lol

Jan 18, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #112 of 308
yeah, I wore my w2002 when i went out to the library one day and it started raining! stupid boy...

but it sounded great!

Feb 4, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #113 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comrade Penguin
I was actually helping a young lady find some headphones the other day. I suggested the Koss KSC-75 as they dont look awful and could hide under her hat or hair. I was rather shocked by the "they aren't big enough" response I got. "Sorry?" I stuttered. "You know, the big ones. The big ones look far nicer." Slightly shocked I suggest the HD 201s. So maybe we aren't all dorks afterall.

I like the style of big headphones, too. But then some Sennheisers look kind of ugly to me.

Feb 4, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #114 of 308
It's funny, but I reading the review of the k240s over on headphonereviews.org and was on the exact sentence about the reviewer actually wearing them in public every so often when GAIM sent me the new mail notification for this thread. XD!!!

I don't know if I've said it yet, but, "shouldn't be wearing"? Well, I wear my KSC35s a whole bunch, and they're ugly no matter who or where you are. Does that count?

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #115 of 308
I remember wearing my IEM during work. My supervisor constantly gesture me to take them off when I talk to customers over the phone.

But he doesn't realize how stressful tech support is. I later change it to a full blown audio-system setup with subwoofer that gives a light show.

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #116 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duxxy
I wear my portapros in public all the time
blink.gif

OMG thats so funny. A substitute at my school wore portapros to school once! Everyone else laughed but I complemented his taste. LMAO

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #117 of 308
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canon
I've worn headphones for most of my life in public...

I wore these for the better part of 10 years. They were re-terminated (2x) and the left cable was cut and re-soldered once because of a loose connection. I had some other vaious ones (namely some sony EarMuf like things that sounded like crap and had a really thin cord).

tonerphones.jpg

Wow those are in wretched condition!(and I mean that in a good way)

Feb 4, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #118 of 308
For the life of me, I can't understand what's supposed to be ugly looking about Portapros. They look like normal portable headphones to me.

Maybe my tastes are back in the 80s or something...
blink.gif
I never did really make it out of that decade (in certain ways).

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #120 of 308
I used to wear hd280's at the airport/on planes.

Then i would wear a900's on the plane/airport, and once on a walk from the berkeley bart station back to the dorms.

After that walk, I got e3's and havn't worn a big headphone in public again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back