Admit it, you love the DT770
Jun 11, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #46 of 78
I love DT 770!

Well, not quite DT 770, but still
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #48 of 78
Completely agree, my DT990 have more bass slam and about the same quantity.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leto Atreides II /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They aren't bass-monsters at all.

For one thing, they're a hell of a lot more comfortable.

In other hand, i listen this headphones two days ago with the DT990 '05 pads, and this headphone is something different...
First of all, it have less bass overall (quantity and a little bit less slam), but it seem to have more texture in the low end and overall is more controlled and tight with not apparent bloatness (the test was made with two trance songs, 1 electronic classical ala Jean Michael Jarre and 1 electronic + ambiental/accoustic song (courtesy again of Jean Michelle Jarre)).

The mids are more PRESENT (more than the bass) and sound something forward (A LOT more than before) and more detailed and with more air and resolution/timbre.

And the highs sound more airy without harshness (although before it doesn't any) and extended and with a little bit of more sparkle

The soundstage which was narrow before (but 3d like), is more open/defined and deeper too.

For me, the music is more engaging/involving that before for much...
Well, these are some impressions...

Jun 13, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #49 of 78
I put off the stock earpads again. With them, there's still a edginess that emphazises the s and t's.
So I ordered the EDT 330 S soft PVC earpads.
They give a welcome improvement.
The sound is great with those pads.
Bass and mids are merely the same as with the stock ones, but the sibilance is gone. I'm glad I replaced the earpads.

Jun 14, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #50 of 78
Drinking and bidding on Ebay at the same time is not a good idea.
After a couple of beers, I decided to bid on a brand new DT770 2005 edition. Thinking by myself: what the heck, I can't get those Denons for a reasonable price, the DT770's are solid, and someone will outbid me anyway.
Well, none did.
Really hoping that they match with my X-Can, and that the reported bright highs and sibilance will temper after some break-in.
If not, keep an eye at the for sale/trade forum
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't stand them one bit.

1) The bass is too heavy. Bass guitars overpower the songs way too much.

2) Midrange is ridiculously recessed. Most of the instruments sound near me, while the vocals are quiet and sound like they're 10 feet away. Very distracting and unnatural.

To which I will add a peaky, thin, sibilant treble. I cant stand them either.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #52 of 78
Bloody awful headphone. Almost no redeeming features that I can recollect besides being comfortable. I still struggle to see how headphiling them could save them.

cheers
Simon

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #53 of 78
After reading the plentiful Darth threads I pulled out my 770's -
The lack of low mids - and general midrange makes them a no go for me.
I'm wondering just how much Darths can improve this about them.
For itunes listening this is the eq that balances them out to my ears.
eqsettingsfor770's.tiff

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #54 of 78
I've been avoiding the DT770s because I just might fall in love with them. I want to prefer HD650s because of their looks,
wink.gif
mid-range and the presentation. It shouldn't be that complicated but I don't like simple choices anyway: I'm just being a bit vain regarding things.

If I would have heard the DT770s and I would have happened to like them, it wasn't certain at all that I would express it very loudly. Maybe a subtle mention after a sentence, but nothing visible.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #56 of 78
I'm not ashamed to admit I love my DT770 pro
cool.gif

They are fun with most of my music and they make me dance on my seat,
I also use them for playing video games and these phones also know how to rock!
rockon.gif

They isolate very well to avoid ambient noise (read: husband and kids
wink.gif
) and they're soft and comfortable for long listening sessions.
What's not to love?
They're not as refined as HD650, but a lot of times I'm just looking for some good-old-fashioned SONIC FUN, DT770 lovers know what I'm talking about.
wink.gif

PS: I'm not afraid to admit I'm a basshead!

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #57 of 78
I actually ordered a pair of these today, the 80ohm version, and can't wait to get them. Tons of mixed reviews in this thread but as I read more and more on head-fi headphones will always have many different opinions. Look forward to joining the dt770 club. Also this will be my first set of "real" headphones.

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by wpq3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually ordered a pair of these today, the 80ohm version, and can't wait to get them. Tons of mixed reviews in this thread but as I read more and more on head-fi headphones will always have many different opinions. Look forward to joining the dt770 club. Also this will be my first set of "real" headphones.

Please, let us know what your opinion is after you listened to them.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love DT 770!

Well, not quite DT 770, but still
smily_headphones1.gif

What does this mean???

LOL

biggrin.gif

Progo: if you can't decide between 770 and 650, you should get both. I think they complement each other well if you like bass to begin with. Get guitar center to price match the lowest price you can find online, sorry about your wallet.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congrats Tiemen and wpq3, I really think DT770 is a good hp to start with.
Love them and enjoy them for many years, then later when you try more expensive things come back and tell us how horrible these really are. lol

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #60 of 78
anyone know where to get the 80ohm DT770 pro?

Not the black version, with the "beyerdynamic" in white writing across the middle but the gray ones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back