Admit it, you love the DT770
May 22, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 78
Just out of curiosity. Do the 770/250 consumer and the 770/250 Pro versions have a different SQ? Or is the difference just the looks and the headband.

May 22, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #17 of 78
my studio mates started using them after a very brief encounter: they were to him the most clinical headphones he had used for monitoring and he has used many in his work.

for hifi the are not 'reference' as hifi reference is literally quite the opposite: more focus on mids and often pulling away from the bass. dt770 are quite extraodinary and for their job they do it better than many many closed phones. they are however reference phones, not hifi phones. you use them to monitor or to listen rather than to the bloody vocalist who should be out of the trance music anyway and to the instruments!
smily_headphones1.gif

i would love to hear the new dt770 250 as i wonder how it differs to the old 80ohm version. i am not a darther so i just like stock

May 22, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #18 of 78
I will never get rid of my DT770/80, I think that when they are amped properly many of the negative things said about them goes away. I use an xcan v2 with pink floyd mods and the Beyers aren't muddy in the mids like a lot of people say. I have some great sounding recabled k701 that I really like, but if I had to choose just one it would be the Beyers. I am glad they are not more popular, because it keeps the price down. They are not perfect, but they do a lot right and they sound good with different genres of music, which makes them very versatile.

May 22, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #19 of 78
yep, love mine. for when i do listen to headphones at home (not often, i am more of a speaker man) these rock.

May 22, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #20 of 78
I didn't care much for the DT770 Pro 80's. The bass was too overbearing, mids to recessed and the highs two sparkly. Although I have yet to hear the 2005 250 ohm version, I hear that its much better.

May 22, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #21 of 78
Nope, I don't love it.
Its a decent 'phone indeed, but far from something I fall in love with.

May 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #22 of 78
Well, I "like" my DT770s, but I don't "love" them. (I tried the Denon D5000s, and they seemed substantially better.)

If isolation is your main priority, though, (as it is for me at work), then they seem very hard to beat.

May 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #23 of 78
DT770s should be renamed 12 inch subwoofer cause thats what they are

Mids are reccesed and the bass is just too much at times. It just makes it sound muddy!

Really i Prefer my Alessandro MS-2 much brighter sound detailed and the bass is actually nice not overwhelming but enough !

May 22, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #24 of 78
When amped with the CIAudio VHP-2, the DT770 midrange is really clear and lovely.

Funny, I just had the Denon D5000 in the house, and I prefer the 770 to it.

The problem with the D5000 seems to be, IMO, that it's trying to be a closed offshoot or version of the Sennheiser HD650. It sounded great at first, more forward, but, ehh, upon later listens. Tinny. If I want a general purpose can, I'll grab the better/cheaper Senns, especially since the Denons, to my mind, don't really isolate as closed cans should.

The 770 just sounds like itself. And costs 1/3 or 1/4 what a D5000 costs.

I wonder if part of the difficult negotiations that Headroom cited in its attempt to be able to carry the Denons was that they were asked to stop carrying the (cheaper, better isolating) closed DT770? I'm sure the 770 carries lower profit margins. . . and the two cans would drain sales away from each other..........

May 22, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #25 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if part of the difficult negotiations that Headroom cited in its attempt to be able to carry the Denons was that they were asked to stop carrying the (cheaper, better isolating) closed DT770? I'm sure the 770 carries lower profit margins. . . and the two cans would drain sales away from each other..........

That's exactly what I'm wondering too. Why did Headroom dropped their glowing review of the DT 770? What remains is the lesser (in their opinion) DT 770M....

May 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #28 of 78
The subwoofer-like bass I've never heard from post-2005 ones.

And yes, Headroom had a glowing DT770 review. When the Denon showed up, they pretty much did a transfer of that exact same glowing description over to the (vastly more expensive) D2000/D5000.
frown.gif

You know, if you aren't obsessed or a hopeless perfectionist, this hobby can be pretty sweet at a low cost $$ and high value . . . just get something like the DT770 (or HD595, or K601, or whatever) and listen to the music. You don't need $700 wood cups. Get a 770 that you can drive your SUV over.

And by the way, I saw a photo of someone driving a Ford Explorer or something over his DTs. If anyone has that picture or can find it better than I can, post it!

May 23, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 78
The DT770 is basically permanently attached to my PC, so it gets a lot of head time. As much as the ES2, if not more so.

I think it's phenomenally comfortable, has very precise 3d sound placement for FPS games, good detail, lots of bass, and a surprisingly good midrange which does however need a good system to bring it out. Normally the mids are a bit recessed, the bass is overbearing and the highs are too bright and not extended enough, but with the right rig, the mids do come out in force and they are very lovely mids actually. They don't have any kind of honky or nasal quality which is so common in closed cans. Off my old MG Head OTL the mids are as prominent as the bass and are very rich and clean.

This is not a hi-fi headphone to my ears. It's mid-fi at best. It's never going to compete with Stax or a well-driven HD650. But, in my collection at least, it has a permanent place.

Oh, as far as the tanklike build quality goes: it's not all that tanklike. My pair has a rattle in the left driver, and that, from what I've gathered, is a fairly common problem with DT770s in general. I still haven't sent it in for repairs but hat's close to the top of the "to do" list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know, if you aren't obsessed or a hopeless perfectionist, this hobby can be pretty sweet at a low cost $$ and high value . . . just get something like the DT770 (or HD595, or K601, or whatever) and listen to the music. You don't need $700 wood cups. Get a 770 that you can drive your SUV over.

I wish it worked that way for me but a) I am obsessed, and b) I am a hopeless perfectionist. So, until I found the O2, I wasn't fully happy with anything.

Jun 7, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 78
I finally decided to act normal, and put the stock earpads back on my DT770.
Maybe all thoses break-in/ burn-in stories are true, because it sounds much better than I remembered. The bass is still too overwhelming with some recordings, but the mids are better than with the vinyl pads I used for a while.
And the sibilance is not exaggerated anymore.
I bought them new, and had at the same time new tubes in my MF X-can. I found them harsh at that time.
But now I like them, even with the velour pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back