ADEL™ Drum Earbuds
Nov 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #31 of 338
Wow.  A Cardas A8 driver as an oem.  That's impressive.  In terms of overall cost, you save from not having to buy an amp as I found it very efficient.  Just wished it had a little more treble extension when I owned it.  I'm wondering if the added BA will fill in the void, but cuts off before sibilance kicks in.  I'm on the fence between Level 4 and 5, but I think I'll wait until impressions rolls as I was hoping for a little more early adopters discount from msrp.  Also, the housing looks like it'll stick pretty far out, which I'm not too keen about.

I might be from Level 1-3 depending on how smart I am with my savings this month.

I don't think a normal 10mm transducer will be too bad because if its still tuned proficiently, i think it can trump a looooooot of BA IEMs.

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #32 of 338
If this is the A8 driver, this could be one hell of an IEM for the price. The A8 is one of my favourite sounding in-ears (feel free to check out my review on head gear to see exactly how much I liked the sound), but it was very heavy and not really portable.

If the ADEL tech can fine tune the sound as well as the other benefits it brings, this could definitely shake up the single DD landscape.

Torn between backing the DD only and the additional Empire Ears style hybrid - heard a lot of good things about Jack Vang's creations, but one off the selling points of the A8 for me was the clean and practically distortion free sound, so not sure I want to add a point of failure to that design with an extra BA just to get some sparkle...

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #33 of 338
Tempted to back this since Flare has gone full silence on their next campaign. Had A8 and thought they were quite good for the price, but I've never been a basshead and they were barely over the limit of my tolerance (and I preferred R2 anyway) so I had to sell them. Adding ADEL modules might just be what it needed for me.

Will be keeping an eye on this. I need level 4 perk but with cable without mic though, any way to ask them for it?

Nov 10, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #34 of 338
I just don't understand this indiegogo campaign. I backed the kickstarter campaign in 2014 with the adel and the a12's. So what do you get on indiegogo? Do you get the drum technologie and also an IEM? Can we get a CIEM? who produces the IEM's? etc.... maybe a stupid question, but the campaign is not clear to me. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #35 of 338
I just don't understand this indiegogo campaign. I backed the kickstarter campaign in 2014 with the adel and the a12's. So what do you get on indiegogo? Do you get the drum technologie and also an IEM? Can we get a CIEM? who produces the IEM's? etc.... maybe a stupid question, but the campaign is not clear to me. 

You will get what you see in the video, it also very clear of what you get, there are 6 options, each spell out and stated what it is:wink:

Nov 10, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #36 of 338
You will get what you see in the video, it also very clear of what you get, there are 6 options, each spell out and stated what it is:wink:

Thanks, I watched the video's now. I just don't understand who will make the IEM? Is it Asius that produces also the IEM? Also some levels do not offer the "early bird price" like the other levels. For example level 1 has 2 prices, but level 6 has only one price and no early bird pricing. 
Too bad there is no option available to make the IEM custom to fit your own ear perfectly. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #37 of 338
  Thinking about it a little more, I have some words to say about George Cardas. I have a degree in mathematical physics and on a couple of occasions have talked to George about his approach. His level of understanding of electromagnetism is unique. I was blown away. The innovations in all his products, including his ridiculously expensive cables, are based on real physics. No marketing hype. The magnet structure in the A8 transducer is rocket science. You can read about it here: http://www.cardas.com/images/a8_driver_sheet.pdf

I am thunderstruck that George would OEM his driver to anybody. George is very anti marketing hype. So, the fact that he is allowing Asius to use his driver must (IMHO) mean that he sees real merit in their approach. 

Thanks Venture Guy for your deep information. I always see the name "Cardas" in Speaker Cable Industry. Never known before this brand was named from the company founder. After I had been considering which perk I should get. Your information make me feel more confident on my YOLO decision.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #38 of 338
  Absolutely! Huge. Here's why. If you are the average IEM maker, there is no way you have the intellectual wherewithal to develop a radically new magnet structure. So, what do you focus on? Diaphragms. If you have a quantum leap in driver technology that is the IEM analog of a high tesla driver in headphones, you don't need diamond film or other insanely expensive exotic materials for your diaphragm.

I think these buds could be a major game changer... can't wait to hear them!

Your comment make me remind of graphene-coated diaphragm. I ever read about study of material-coated diaphragm having a direct relationship to frequency range. The material having higher tensile strength will give wider frequency range. https://mag.kakaku.com/av-kaden/?id=4453&cid=all_twitter (You can use chrome browser to translate into English.) And the thing you said, It seems that this kind of magnet is a real breakthrough than a graphene-coated diaphragm.

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #39 of 338
chupa : I understand how you feel since this campaign is not a same style as the previous one. You may hope for multi-BA drivers, mightn't you? If I had never seen Venture Guy comments, I still would have been doubtful. There is no specification of each model likes 20-20Khz, 32Ohm, etc. In previous campaign, we can know sound signature of each models by comparing with previous series of them.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #41 of 338
We at Asius have recently launched the ADEL Drum on IndieGoGo, I hadn't posted the link in here because simply this is Empire's thread and I didn't think it was appropriate for me to do so.

The ADEL Drum is an earbud, that uses different speaker configurations at different levels. At the Empire booth at RMAF, we did show a prototype of a Spartan with the ADEL Drum IEM module on it. This module is 10mm wide, that is ported a different want than the current 5mm ADEL module. It's more like a pancake than a bullet you could say. We called it the Drum IEM Module because it's using the same principals that we learned during R&D for the Drum Earbud. As we've already been able to see, this causes alot of confusion for people, so it's been something I've suggested changing the name of before that project really kinda goes any further. I don't have an ETA on that setup, so don't expect it out in the next month or two, that's just not going to happen.

Now I'll explain the difference in approach between the current ADEL Module and the Drum:

The Passive ADEL module and explaining ADEL in general... When you seal an IEM (or closed back headphone) to your ear, you now have a trapped volume of space and pressure. Speakers move like pistons in a motor, moving back and forth to move air, this obviously creates a pressure difference between forward and backward. Balanced armatures work in the same way, just the motion is different, they're much more like billows that you would use to start a fire in your fireplace. Little diaphram moving rapidly to make sound that then gets forced out the snout of the housing.

Sound is being produced, but also the pressure along with it. Your ear drum is simply a membrane that reads those vibrations and then passes it down the line to be analyzed, etc. So pressure gets applied to the only that actually moves, which is your ear drum. As you'd imagine this biases the ear drum since it's being held still, sorta like somebody putting their foot on the scale as you try and weigh yourself. So since the membrane within the ADEL module is more compliant than your bodies eardrum and is ported into your ear sealed ear canal via what's normally a sound tube, it's ported into the trapped space and that allows it to take the pressure. This allows your ear to hear the way it's supposed to (without that foot on the scale), as well letting the speakers to their thing without be hindered by the pressure in the ear canal. So it's a win for sound quality. The health aspect comes in via when your body senses it's eardrum constantly being beat up, it triggers your acoustic reflex and makes your ear drum less sensitive to keep it from damage, this turns down your volume without telling you. This is why many of you have had the urge to turn up the volume after a while because the music doesn't sound the same as it did when you first started listening, so you in turn bump up the volume again, the cycle repeats and you burn out your ears. This cycle and muscles tightening, is the source of not only hurting your hearing, but also this fatiguing feeling of just needing a break from listening. This is called Audio Fatigue. Some people don't listen to iems for long enough spans of time to experience this, but as somebody that listens to iems for a fair chunk of their day, this is a very real thing.

The different ADEL modules offer different tensions/amount of layers of membranes within the modules, netting different performance to the sound signature. Super floppy (like the MAM being untensioned) can be compared to a net around a batting cage, it's so loose that the ball hits it and just falls to the ground. As you begin to tighten it, there's more bounce (you could say), this is especially noticeable with bass. That's why the MAM being tensioned all the way, you get more bass than when it's floppy.

The ADEL Drum... The Passive Module is really like putting ADEL on the ear canal, where as the Drum is much more like putting the speaker within the module itself. The membrane is MUCH MUCH larger and makes up the faceplate of the earbud (there's still a grill to protect it, but you get the idea). Big membrane, then speaker, then to your ear canal. That speaker in the middle, drives BOTH your ear drum as normal but also the membrane on the other side of the housing, effectively turning it into another speaker. We learned that as you tension the membrane, it becomes more springy like a trampoline, bouncing the sound back toward you ear drum and letting the user really control alot of the sound signature. Also, because that membrane is further out than you'd ever place a speaker in the earbud, the sound stage translates to be much much wider. Another perk of that large membrane is it's shire size, it's very fast and can move alot of sound, making it like a very large driver, providing the bottom end that you'd expect from a big subwoofer (comparatively). This has allowed us to have the user experience either very little bass, to enough that on a bassy track, you can feel it in your chest a bit. With our 10mm speaker and the membranes tensioned the way I want, I can get more bottom end response than out of our LCD4s. Granted, I like more bass than most people, I'm simply saying that it's possible if the listener decides to tune it that way.

Nov 10, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #45 of 338
Thank you for the explanation. I'm thinking of getting these or Zeus R ADEL.. haha, a big difference in price, but ADEL Drums have the better ADEL modules for sure in the previous explanations.. For the price, these are much much cheaper.. but will there be a difference in sound quality? A 14 vs 1 driver... (well, 2 since I will get the dynamic + AB driver)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back