ADE tuned Beyerdynamic T1
Aug 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #32 of 47

Quote:
The problem with these drastic mods is that they usually break more than they fix.

This works great as a general statement about "drastic mods," provided of course that you have some convincing examples.  I think it's a bit strange that people are coming into this thread to refute the effectiveness or the practicality of the modification.  It's the simplest I've heard of, uses the cheapest and most common sort of material, and most importantly, achieves the sound that the OP likes.

You wouldn't do that to your T1?  That's great; you're very lucky to have found a product that fully meets your expectations and preferences.  But suppose you could perform a 5-minute alteration that brought the product closer to what you wanted it to be.  Think of the last headphone you tried that was great except for a dip or a peak that changed your favorite music for the worse. You wave your hand, it's all better; you wouldn't do it?

It's a cotton ball in the acoustics.  This is the mod least befitting the term "drastic."  Compared to buying a $1K+ headphone and, what, recabling?  Putty or epoxy?  Wood cups? 

I mean, maybe I'm missing something.  Maybe the OP is nuts.  Help me better understand what's so wrong with OP's solution.

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #33 of 47
I don't really have any idea when it comes to the T1 but it seems like the OP only added a piece of cotton ball next to the driver, so I don't see how this is a drastic mod. It's not like he's drilling holes in the cup or something irreversible that's also super costly, so if he gets better results from this, then what's wrong with doing so?

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #35 of 47
Drastic mods - drastic sound changes, not number of holes drilled. :wink:

I tried playing around with my hd201 when I recabled it ... subtle mods were ok, but as soon as I messed around too much, the damage was bigger than the gain.

I assume the graph is done with that excellent audio measurement tool called photoshop.

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 47
Very interesting! I used an equalizer to lower the 8 kHz band by 4-5 dB and my T1 suddenly sounded more natural/balanced without losing any of its' qualities as far as I can hear, except maybe a bit of detail-by-brightness or however you call that. Before, something always sounded... off, for lack of a better word. Could you post more pictures with close-ups and how you did the mod? And: I would be really interested in a measurement of your phones. Care to send them to purrin when he accepts stuff again?

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #41 of 47
I tried this mod. But I feel that it makes the soundstage shrink. I did feel that it made the highs less apparent but maybe a little too much hence the loss of sounstaging.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #42 of 47
Here is my mod for a smooth and wonderful T1: Laptop w/Foobar running Xnor's Graphic Equalizer Component ==> your favorite USB dac device and amplifier, and onto your headphones.

Notch it down at 8KH by about 5.5db for a smooth ride.  IMHO it turns the T1 into a magical pair of cans.

If you are running computer audio, give Xnor's equalizer a try with Foobar.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:
Notch it down at 8KH by about 5.5db for a smooth ride.
Do you just reduce the 8KHz band or also the bands either side of it (by say 2.5dB) to smooth the effect out?

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:
Quote:
Notch it down at 8KH by about 5.5db for a smooth ride.
Do you just reduce the 8KHz band or also the bands either side of it (by say 2.5dB) to smooth the effect out?

Lately I believe I notch the 6.3K down 2.0db, 8K down 5.5db, and the 10K down 2.5db.

I would suggest just trying what sounds best for you.  And the beauty of Xnor's Graphic Equalizer though is that it "approximates a smooth frequency response (=> no 'steps' between the bands)".

You can check out his thread:  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=88505

Note that the equalizer is much more mature today then how it is described in this first forum posting.

Here is a suggested setting screen shot:

There is also a great frequency response chart on the Headroom site for the T1 that you can use to visualize where you may want to apply the equalizer settings:

=2033]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2033

Make your own changes, save different settings, and experiment.  I also suggest living with the settings for awhile as they can sometimes take getting used to.  Reducing the high frequency is hard to do as you may feel you are losing something.  For me, I find smoothing out the treble spike allows the mid-range shine.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #45 of 47
Damn it Peter... I was thinking of selling my T1's, not because I wouldn't like them, but because I need money to fund my other hobby.

Tried that EQ ... on 8.5k -5db by electri-q and oh man this is gamechanger for me, can't sell them anymore.

I always loved them, but there was some hot treble even with most "treble easy" tubes I got. So i was looking for some mods etc lately, but didn't want to sacrifice soundstage which is just perfect for me or any other aspect of sound. EQ solved it for me, I don't hear harshness anymore and can listen on high volume without problems. Can't hear any side effects.

Just wanted to say thx man 
smily_headphones1.gif
 These cans rock and I'am keeping them 
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back