Add an AMP for my Fiio k3 or get a new DAC too?
May 21, 2024 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

LivingLikeLarry

New Head-Fier
I had my Fiio k3 (first model) for years now and despite the hate it got over on audio science it has served me well but I would like a bit of an upgrade in power (and maybe overall quality). Currently I mostly listen with a HD 6XX or DT770. I am wondering if I should just buy something like an atom amp + (or amp 2) and connect it to the line out of my fiio or would I be better off just getting a higher end dac/amp combo? I am not sure if the fiio DAC is good enough to pair with a better amp. The line out tested decently on the k3 but I don't know if would hold back the amp on other aspects. So should I just go ahead and expect to buy a better dac too? I am open to used stuff too. I also kinda like the idea of being able to retire the k3 to portable duties instead of permanently sitting on my desk.

May 22, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 3
The SMSL C200 used on Amazon with warranty is currently $135 and would be a great upgrade. I have two and they're compact, run cool, and lots of power. Same power on both plugs so you don't need balanced cables.

May 22, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 3
The SMSL C200 used on Amazon with warranty is currently $135 and would be a great upgrade. I have two and they're compact, run cool, and lots of power. Same power on both plugs so you don't need balanced cables.
Do you think that's better than trying to use the k3 for a dac with a dedicated amp? If so the c200 does look good or maybe even just a fiio k7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back