AD900 Review
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well what explains yepyep thinking it has no bass impact is because his other can is the proline 750
biggrin.gif
The ad900 will surely sound thin coming directly from those

I actually got the ad900 long before the 750's, but yeah I agree. I like mucho bass.
biggrin.gif

The ad900 wins at acoustic and classical music, imo, but unfortunately I dont listen to those genres.

Jul 31, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kernmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi zyxwvutsr,
Improvements in Headphones from one model to the next will always be subjective in regards to cost. Considering diminishing returns, only each individual can make the judgement about which is best value or worth the extra coin. Mind you if the AD700s do creak and they have recessed mids then my answer is yes, the AD900s are worth the extra. My point is not just that the AD900s are under rated/overlooked, I would say so are the AD700s. The MS1 and Sr60, HD555 etc get plenty of coverage but the Audio Technicas don't (I mean AD700 in this company), and I think Headfiers shouldn't overlook them, because based on the AD900 they are missing out big time.

Since the time when I started browsing head-fi, the AD700s have gained a lot of recognition (more so than the AD900 and almost on par with the veteran entry level headphones). When I first started considering the A500, I didn't give the AD series even an ounce of consideration due to the lack of sufficient information.

For many of the people considering the AD700/900, $150 is significant amount of money to fork over. Especially when the improvements are of uncertain magnitude. This is probably due to the lack of impressions/reviews (especially those that compare it against more well known headphones). Again, it will simply take time for the forum to warm up to these headphones (AD700 have a big head start on this compared to the AD900).

Jul 31, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 22
These have been on my must try list for a long time (AD700's). I just keep getting side tracked and always end up with something else. Maybe if they would show up more on the FS forum. That is where I prefer to buy from.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #19 of 22
Yesterday a set of leather W5000 pads arrived for my AD900. They fit perfectly and there is something about leather ear pads. Mind you at $100 Aus ($86 USD) a bit extravagent.

Now, I have changed pads before, MS2 and MS1 (bowls , comfies, mod sens) and for me the sound difference was only minor (I know other Grado/Alessandro users will disagree) and I even have pleather and velour pads for my Pro 550, again only fairly minor difference in sound change. However, switching rom the velour AD900 pads to the leather W5000 pads has produced quite a marked differnence in sound. I didn't find the bass of the AD900 stock as lacking, however many users have described it as a bit thin. Well my advice is to try it with some leather or (pleather Axxx series) as it really has some significant bass impact and slightly overall warmer sound, without sacrificing the soundstage, or sweet mids. I currently have a very bad cold/flu, so i don't trust my ears at the moment, but I will do a full review when my head is functioning properly again.

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:36 AM Post #20 of 22
If the leather pads increase the bass, I might have to think of the AD900 again...

Good luck with your cold, looking forward to your impressions later on.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #22 of 22
I simply LOVE my AD900s...

Best buy ever done in my life (best buy of EVERYTHING... anything...)

I wear them 16 hours a day 24/7 (REALLY, 16 at least, If I'm not sleeping, eating or at the bathroom, I'm wearing even with no sound turned on.... I simply CAN'T be without them for an unknown reason, it fells like sometinhg is missing, I SWEAR, 16HS+ ) WEIRD? Yes.... but I just can't... it feels awkward, I can't explain....

So, confort is a 11 out of 10 ("my amplifier goes to 11".... remember?)

Best headphones I ever heard (IMHO. (I've not been around as much as most of you)

I want to upgrade, but I just CAN'T FIND ANYTHING better (in my budget 400)... I always have to compromise something (the mids, some veiled, some too warm, some dark, some small soundstage, you know the drill...). After the AD900s every headphone I hear seems a bit "veiled", muffled (can't explain but this way, sorry)

Technicities about the sound can be found in the great review above...

I believe it should be mandatory to have auditioned the AD900s to get the "Head-fi Audiophile"s driver license...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back