AD700s extremely uncomfortable
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 51
Just to clarify things, are you getting the aches from the sound or from the physical fit?
Because I'm not quite sure what you meant by the insides of your ear are aching.
Those things are pretty bright, so I used to get headaches and stuff from listening to them as well.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #17 of 51
@Ze_Blitzkreig

How about the Matrix M-Stage for the K601/K701? The M-Stage always interested me more than a E7 + E9 combo, but there havent really been any comparisons and they're at like the same price range.

@Winma

I would.. to try out other headphones, besides the fact if I did return it, I'd just be abusing the policy (on Amazon) and I've heard of people getting banned lately. Don't want only a partial refund either.

@deadlylover

I'm like 99% sure it's the fit itself. Like, it sure does feel fine, but it starts hurting after a few minutes. At first it feels like nothing's wrong with it. It's basically like my head starts pulsing I believe.. can't test it out right now as its 2:33 AM and I can get only like 3 hrs of sleep tonight. What exactly does "bright" mean? Cause I don't really notice stuff like that. It COULD be the brightness, but I don't think that has ever made my head ache before.

Apr 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #18 of 51
strong sharp treble

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #19 of 51
I can no comment on the M-Stage. All I know is that the E9 works pretty darn well with the K601's.  I would not however recommend the K701's. . .just based on my personal preferences 
wink.gif
. . .K601's for sure between those two.  Back to the E9 though. . .all I know is that it puts out ample amounts of juice for its price, and I do not know about the M-Stage and its output ratings.  If the K601 is as temperamental with amplification sources as people talk about the K701 being, then I would say that I know for a fact that E9 plays nice with the K601 from recent experience so it is all I can recommend.

Apr 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #20 of 51
I get a strange sensation when wearing my ad 900s,its like an electro-staticy sensation as if a crurrent is running into my left ear drum, for some reason my left ear touches the driver but my ears are almost identical on each side for shape etc, just got my dt 990 today and I didn't get the pain in the left ear drum but it sounds silly but I can feel the power running through the drivers and into my ears like a tingling

Apr 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #22 of 51
You could try stuffing the pads, known as "phat pad" modding.  Or do what I do and just put your fingers through the hole and under the pads and go around in a circle and pull the pads out a bit and "un-squash" them.  My pads are super worn, but still super comfy when i do this and my big Will Smith type ears don't touch anything.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #23 of 51
Also I should note that bending the cross bars up top to give them a custom fit make them more comfortable.

If you want to get rid of the lower jaw pressure people with smaller heads get from them you bend the bars at the lowest point where they connect to the plastic and bend them outward <--  -->

Apr 15, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:
I just received mine from another user and also find them extremely uncomfortable. I think it might be that the pads have worn too much because my ears hit the drivers.

I tried some new, and my ears hit the drivers as well.  Despite the huge size, like too many headphones, they just aren't truly circumaural because of the design of the cups and padding.  With the low clamping force, I didn't find them extremely uncomfortable though, but it was enough for me to start looking for something else despite the mostly positive impression I had of the sound.

Anybody potentially with issues with fitting and the pads may be interested in this earpad mod:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/505053/audio-technica-ath-ad700-fit-and-comfort-mod

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #25 of 51
Wow...I find my AD700s are super comfy. But anyway, maybe you could try twisting the earpad around. They are asymmetrical and although they probably came out of the box in the manufacturer-recommended orientation, maybe an adjustment would help

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 51
Tried most things suggested (besides the foam mod thing, don't have any of those materials, but tried stretching the pads anyways and when i put my ear in, they touched the drivers) and they still don't seem to be very comfortable. How's the HD555 compared to the 700s? Thinking about the 598s too if I can get them for a discount somehow (since 250 is far over my budget for gaming headphones). Only thing is I'm afraid of returning to Amazon, again. I've returned quite a few things in the past and heard of people getting banned so..

Going to stretch them for the night and see how they are in the morning, and if I don't like them still I'm probably going to return them (returning like 2 other things from the same order too). Is it also a possibility that I just hate open-back headphones? Just wondering if it's possible to get headaches just due to the fact it's open (and I've been using only isolating things in the past, both IEMs and headphones).

Sorry for the thread bump a long while later :). Still needing info though.

Apr 16, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #27 of 51
From what I remember, the HD555 was fairly comfortable. No issues with ears touching drivers :). However, the sound of the HD555 is underwhelming in almost every aspect. It doesnt do anything horribly, but it doesnt do anything particularly well. They bored the heck out of me.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #28 of 51
AyeVeeN- I tried the AD900 (similar to the AD700) and found them uncomfortable as well. Not only were the pads itchy, but the shallow pads led to my ears touching the drivers, which led to slight aching in my ears.

I eventually returned the AD900s and picked up a pair of Beyer DT880s. What a world of difference. The velour pads are a huge improvement, no itch at all, and they are deeper so my ears no longer hit the drivers. And they have a much more balanced sound and noticeably more bass than the AD900s. They don't sound quite as airy as the AD900s but they seem to do well for gaming (semi-open design). Amazon had them for around $250 a while back (I know it's out of your budget), but the DT880s make a great headphone for gaming, music, and everything in between.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:
From what I remember, the HD555 was fairly comfortable. No issues with ears touching drivers :). However, the sound of the HD555 is underwhelming in almost every aspect. It doesnt do anything horribly, but it doesnt do anything particularly well. They bored the heck out of me.

I disagree, while the HD555 does not boast the most exciting sound signature and deepest bass, it is nonetheless a very competent all around headphone for both gaming and music listening.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #30 of 51
Another open set with actual circumaural and deep-enough velours like the Beyer DT880 would be AKG K601. I find the fit mostly similar to the Beyer 770/880/990 and an improvement over the AD700. The K601s are on buy.com for $169 shipped right now--not an amazing deal, but lower than it usually is for sure. That might be in budget? I forget which of the modern K240/241/242 and K271/272 variants have the velour pads, but they're more circumaural as well and cheaper than that.

These are just some more options to think about other than the Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back