AD700 vs HD595 in build quality?
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chroniX

Head-Fier
So, I received some new HD595's as a gift and am absolutely happy with the sound quality on them. The only thing I fear is the build quality. It doesn't seem like the 595s can take a beating and I've heard reports of cracks developing despite taking good care of them.

I really need something that will last as long as possible because personally, I don't ever see myself spending so much money on headphones, so this will probably be the best headphones I'll ever own in my life. Need something that will hold up to the test of time.

Well, I've been considering selling my new 595s and purchasing the AD700. Would this be a good move? I've done little research, but it seems that they not only stack up pretty well against the 595s in terms of audio quality but might also have better build quality. Can anyone comment on this?

Also, I was curious as to how good Sennheiser warranty is? If mine started developing cracks or something, would they send me a free replacement or what?

Would appreciate any help or advice on this, thanks!

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 7
My first pair of HD595 developed a fault with the driver on one side. I am not actually sure what caused it. Basically when I had a look at it it looked all squashed and may have been caused by the phones falling on the floor or a massive power spike from a faulty headphone jack. Anyhow, I literally had a few days left on the 2 year warranty and called sennheiser (here in the UK). I had a friendly man on the other side who explained I should send them it in for repair. After I heard nothing from them for a few weeks I chased it up. Apparently the guy who was supposed to repair the phones could not locate them (luckly I had proof of shipment). Eventually they said they had sorted it. What it meant was I received a brand new pair instead. So apart from the small hickup I am quite happy with the service.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 7
AD700 build quality is exceptional.  It looks and feels extremely flimsy, and even creeks a bit when moved, but the materials used makes it stand the test of time.  I personally wouldn't consider switching the HD595 out for the AD700 though, they're not exactly the best cans for music.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I personally wouldn't consider switching the HD595 out for the AD700 though, they're not exactly the best cans for music.

I totally agree with you on the non-musicality of the AD700. To me, both unamped and through my set-up (see sig), the AD700 sounded grainy and distant. The soundstage is impressive, but I don't know how much I'd enjoy it for music. Also, they have the weakest clamp of any headphone ever, they just fell off my head all the time.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Hmm...so you guys think I should just keep the HD595s and enjoy the ride? :D

I suppose if it breaks within two years, I could always do an RMA and receive a new/refurbished set, correct? I just hope it's not like pay $60 to fix them b/c to me even $60 to fix headphones is a lot.

I LOVE the sound quality on this though, that I do have to say....and I dont even have an amp. :)

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 7
I'd say the AD700 are built a lot better,  but I don't think it's really worth trying to swap them out.   I'm pretty hard on my stuff and my oldest pair of working headphones that I've kept still remains to be my HD555s,  which I believe are ~4 years old now and are built very similar to the 595.  While the build quality might not be exceptional,  I certainly wouldn't say it's bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back