ad700 sound
Jun 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

phantasmor

Head-Fier
i do not have a sound card on my computer and they do not sound anywhere near as good as when i am gaming on my PlayStation.... this is becoming more noticeable the more i listen to them, it also seems that YouTube videos are not a great source for music.... so where can i find some good quality sound files of music? i really do not care one way or another if i have to pay for some music, as long as i can get it to sound as good as when i am gaming on my PlayStation

oh yeah... is it just because i don't have a sound card?

in other words... how do i get the most out of these headphones?

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Sound Card really doesn't matter if your not using an amo or DAC on your PS3

Stop using youtube for music

Download Foobar2000

Because of certain reasons of public display of Piracy, I cannot tell you where to download music from. Piracy is Illegal btw.

Buy your music from a good seller and encode the CD while ripping to FLAC 920kbps for best quality

Jun 26, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Sound Card really doesn't matter if your not using an amo or DAC on your PS3

Stop using youtube for music

Download Foobar2000

Because of certain reasons of public display of Piracy, I cannot tell you where to download music from. Piracy is Illegal btw.

Buy your music from a good seller and encode the CD while ripping to FLAC 920kbps for best quality

first my playstation is in another building than my computer,

second i do not know what an amo is or a DAC

third... i never said anything about piracy...... you brought that up....

fourth..... i want to use my computer to listen to music i am sorry but i am at it all day

edit:what does foobar 2000 do?

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 7
Well for starters, both iTunes and Amazon music stores offer decently high quality music, and they're both very popular.  I don't even know why you should ask where to get them from with the presence of those two.  There's also of course just buying cds and ripping the music off them.

I too would assume you'd be asking about pirating music if you asked about where you could find good quality music.

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter.  Anything that plays music has one, and it could be that both the integrated amp and dac in your playstation is better than your computer.  Better soundcards are a good option, but I'd personally get some external amp/dacs.  An example of that would be the Fiio E7, or Zo Personal Subwoofer.

Jun 26, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Well for starters, both iTunes and Amazon music stores offer decently high quality music, and they're both very popular.  I don't even know why you should ask where to get them from with the presence of those two.  There's also of course just buying cds and ripping the music off them.

I too would assume you'd be asking about pirating music if you asked about where you could find good quality music.

A DAC is a digital to analogue converter.  Anything that plays music has one, and it could be that both the integrated amp and dac in your playstation is better than your computer.  Better soundcards are a good option, but I'd personally get some external amp/dacs.  An example of that would be the Fiio E7, or Zo Personal Subwoofer.

that makes sense.... i was just wondering if there was one thing that was better than the other..... oh well... i have no idea what i was thinking.....

hmm amp..... i think i have a few of those.... the one hooked up to the PlayStation for one... but i was wondering if a sound card was better.... but all of them are in use and i am not 100% sure if they are amps per se.... because they tend to have sound systems attached, so i think i will look at some amps

Jun 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Heya,

It could be the source audio bit rate. The PS3 sound is likely higher quality. You have to look at the quality of the sound files you're playing on your computer. Some low bitrate MP3 or youtube videos may sound awful due to that in headphones that reveal flaws. It could also just be that the headphone jack on your (assumed) onboard sound output in the computer is noisy and not isolated very well.

Head over to HDTracks.com and you can sample high quality music and if you like it, take just a song or a whole album. If you can do that both on the PC & PS3, you could compare exact sound files at higher quality to determine what the issue might be.

The PS3 has a higher quality chipset likely than whatever it is you're using on your computer (onboard?), but note that I have no idea what's in a PS3, so that could be wrong. Some of the newer onboard RealTek chipsets are actually quite good as a DAC, but a lot of onboard sound controllers are not so good, and might have noise and other things coming in from the rest of the PC. If you want to test that at all, I would suggest the Asus Xonar DG because it's cheap, has great quality and a headphone amp.

Very best,

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Heya,

It could be the source audio bit rate. The PS3 sound is likely higher quality. You have to look at the quality of the sound files you're playing on your computer. Some low bitrate MP3 or youtube videos may sound awful due to that in headphones that reveal flaws. It could also just be that the headphone jack on your (assumed) onboard sound output in the computer is noisy and not isolated very well.

Head over to HDTracks.com and you can sample high quality music and if you like it, take just a song or a whole album. If you can do that both on the PC & PS3, you could compare exact sound files at higher quality to determine what the issue might be.

The PS3 has a higher quality chipset likely than whatever it is you're using on your computer (onboard?), but note that I have no idea what's in a PS3, so that could be wrong. Some of the newer onboard RealTek chipsets are actually quite good as a DAC, but a lot of onboard sound controllers are not so good, and might have noise and other things coming in from the rest of the PC. If you want to test that at all, I would suggest the Asus Xonar DG because it's cheap, has great quality and a headphone amp.

Very best,

on board yeah... i don't know why but this board(asus p8p67 pro) does not sound that good at all with the on board audio..... now my laptop sounds great...

wait..... SOME youtube videos..... that makes sense.... some sound great, others horrible

oh.. and if you know of a good amp around the same price as the XonarDG........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back