AD-700 Gaming Mod Help?
Dec 27, 2010 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Fascination

New Head-Fier
I recently set myself up with with a new sound system for my Playstation 3. I bought the Astro Mixamp, AD-700 headphones, and Zalman Mic. The sound is Amazing. But the zalman mic is inconveniently unresponsive, and having the two wires hanging around me is annoying. So after some researching I've decided to do a mod. I decided to use the "Dark Knight" Mod as my model. But being new to this, I found some of the guide incomprehensive. 

My current Setup
Right now I've got my mixamp plugged into my ps3 by usb and toslink optical cable. I have the Astro Y adapter  plugged into the mixamp, and my AD-700'S and Zalman mic plugged into the Y adapter. 

What I want
Preferably I'd like to model the Dark Knight and have the one detachable cable running from my AD-700's into the mixamp and a detachable boom mic plugged directly into the headphone. Or, if for whatever reason I can't make that work, I could easily take the more haphazard road, and do it like This Guy did. Obviously, I want to be able to both talk into the mic, and hear the game sound simultaneously. 

What I don't Understand
The wiring is what really has me lost. In the dark knight thread, it seems like to me that he has just the one wire running to his mixamp from his headphones. In both my current setup and the second guide, there are two wires that plug into the Y adapter which plugs into the mixamp. How does he get both mic input and stereo output to run through the one wire, and plug directly directly into the mixamp. Assuming thats what he has, how does he wire it within the headphones? If thats incorrect, what is really happening? How does it all fit together? I'm just generally confused about this part of the mod. 

I hope this all makes sense and isn't too specific of a question. Any advice and or clarification would be appreciated. 

Feb 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 3
 though I'm not certain on the exact wiring he is using one wire. You can use what the call a 4 pole jack and then a wire that has 4 strands in it. So one pole is ground for both speakers and mic, one is left, one is right, and one is mic. I believe the wiring goes Tip=Left Ring1=Right Ring2=Common Ground Sleeve=Mic. Someone else please chime in if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back