ACS T1 vs. Earsonics SM3
Sep 10, 2010 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

adrigd

New Head-Fier
Hello, I am new here, but I've been reading you a lot of time.

I have the Earsonics SM3 and I like them very much. But now I can get the ACS T1. The problem is the price. I have the money but I don´t want to spend it if the difference between SM3 and T1 is not big (only in SQ terms).  

I am only interested in ACS because is in my country. I am not interested in Easonics EM3 Pro or JH audio or Ultimate Ears. Only ACS. 

I need help with that please.

Thenk you and excuse my poor english.  

Sep 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 8
I may be one of the only ones to have heard both earphones, but I am unsure. If you like the Earsonics SM3, there is no reason to go for a custom, but if you really really want to, go ahead. The ACS T1 is the most impressive custom I have used precisely for its value from top to bottom. It sounds great, is built to last, has a great cable, wonderful accessory kit, and is even customisable. 

But if you like the SM3, why not stay with it? 

The ACS T1 is great, but it is harder to drive. You will probably have a harder time running it perfectly from a portable source - it will still sound good and get to really loud volumes, but you will lose a little resolution in the bass probably and some in the treble. The SM3 is amazing because of its resolution in all frequencies from an ampless source to a full fledged amp. 

By the way, both earphones will be among my personal favourites; they both are easy editor's award earphones. 

Sep 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Thank you very much for your answer.

I have got some Amps, so the thing is: Are ACS T1 considerably better than SM3 or they offer other type of sound, comparable to SM3?

Thank you 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 8
Sep 11, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I should have the latest version, but I am unsure. The T1 has gone through many iterations, the latest should be 2010 version, but if it's changes since my version from about March, then I don't know.

It is warm, well-extended, and with the silicon, produces fabulously resonant bass. You can't really compare the feeling of the SM3 to the ACS T1; they are too different. And in terms of midrange performance, the SM3 is more forward in relation to its treble and bass. The T1 has a small v-curve, weighted possibly toward the bass, but it's hard to tell. 

In some ways, the T1 fits the usual bill of goods for earphones. So, if you've used most high end earphones, you'll probably get an idea of the T1. It's warm, but fun, and a bit hard to drive. It picks up hiss, but not too much. It's the only custom I will use for exercise. I just don't trust the fiddly pins and hollow custom shells of the other ones. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I should have the latest version, but I am unsure. The T1 has gone through many iterations, the latest should be 2010 version, but if it's changes since my version from about March, then I don't know.

It is warm, well-extended, and with the silicon, produces fabulously resonant bass. You can't really compare the feeling of the SM3 to the ACS T1; they are too different. And in terms of midrange performance, the SM3 is more forward in relation to its treble and bass. The T1 has a small v-curve, weighted possibly toward the bass, but it's hard to tell. 

In some ways, the T1 fits the usual bill of goods for earphones. So, if you've used most high end earphones, you'll probably get an idea of the T1. It's warm, but fun, and a bit hard to drive. It picks up hiss, but not too much. It's the only custom I will use for exercise. I just don't trust the fiddly pins and hollow custom shells of the other ones. 

Interesting. Thank you.

One more question: I love my SM3 for vocal music like pop, rock, jazz, soul... But for classical I think they are not so good because midrange is very forward and timbre is not the best (for example, I prefer dynamic earphones for that).

So, in terms of timbre and soundstage, which is best?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back