ACS T1 Live! Custom IEM Review: Silicone for the Big Stage
Jan 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #76 of 222
Quote:
Hi Adam, here's a question I've been wanting to ask someone from ACS about: We all know that silicone does offer superior protection against knocks and bumps compared to acrylic does, but is there any chance for us T1 users to accidentally damage the drivers inside by normally removing the earpieces and pushing them inside our ear? Would the flexibility of silicone gradually transmit those little amounts of force and accumulate them up to the point where the drivers would eventually get busted?

Btw, happy new year folks. Thanks to my T1 Live! I was able to hold myself back from going out and getting wasted last night last night. Quite the special feeling having them in my ears while watching the new year fireworks in the balcony. Was having the best or...I mean eargasm ever 
tongue.gif

Happy New Year and it sounds like you had a nice new year's experience! 

Quote:
OK... I am up to over 150 hours of burn in on the T1's... a couple of observations:

1st. These sound better on my HP-P1 Fostex than on my Decware CSP2+ Tube amp....
rolleyes.gif
  This is the first time I have had that happen. Someone like SS better it appears. The bass is much more pronounced even on low gain setting.

My portable rig is an IPC 7G>Toxic Cable Silver Poison LOD>HP-P1>T1. It is a different sound but in terms of that "Quality" PRaT thing it rivals my home rig. Nice! Especially since I am on the road as much as I am home. (Out again tomorrow early for 7 of the next 9 nights).

All files are AIFF lossless ripped by me here via iTunes. The IPC only has 3000 songs on it with 160 GB of storage.

2nd....Mark_h, has had some bass problems with his T1's I did too when using the iPhone 5 alone. I bumped the bass as much as the EQ would allow and it was still barely adequate. The iPhone is clearly weak on bass. On the HP-P1 I get solid bass. Not overbearing or Basshead style, but as it should be. I am listening to a good bass album now, Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. The song Jack of Speed has a nice clean bass line and it is good! Perhaps part of the bass challenge with the T1's is the same as so many Headphone issues...Synergy. The T1's LOVE the HP-P1....

As I write this up comes Cousin Dupree....Nice bass groove. Tight deep and powerful. We have a keeper!

---I just re-read the long review that Average_Joe has done on the T1 and it looks like my experience mirrors his. Low end DAP's are not sufficient. High end DAC/Amps feed the fire with the T1's.

Good point on the sources...they can make a world of difference.  Great to hear you have a portable that rivals your home rig and also good to know your experience mirrors mine.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #77 of 222
I have used them with different sources in different settings including in the studio, iphones, clips, amps, desks, computers. the problem persists from 10-120hz there is a c.-7db slump. The majority of the music I listen to on them sounds like it is predominantly composed of midrange and treble. When I EQ to compensate the music comes to life but on some tracks the bass distorts probably due to output distortion form the source OR again makes me think there maybe something wrong with the low end driver. Also, they are very low impedance and should be easily driven by the clip+ or any other portable source.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #78 of 222
Definitely sounds like it is time to get them checked out.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #79 of 222
I shipped them back this morning. Glad yours are sounding good!!! With the bass eq'd on mine they would occasionally sound breathtaking.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #80 of 222
They will have you right in no time! 

Jan 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #81 of 222
Approximately 100 hours have passed on my pair. I gave them a listen today and would like to voice some opinions:

- I don't know if it was the IEMs or actually my brain getting burned in, but apparently all the harshness in vocals I heard initially was gone. The midrange has smoothed out quite a bit, sounding very organic but at the same time slightly less lively than how it used to be.

- Bass has actually opened up quite a bit, with a lot of slams/punches low down. 

- Imaging still remains coherent and convincing, with an entirely newly added dimension of depth that is non existent on my IE80 and barely on the PFE 232. After trying to wrap my head around it for a few days, I have finally figured out where it comes from: the midrange and vocals in particular. The closed in vocals make things a lot more airy and personal, and with instruments properly placed in the soundstage, things become wickedly realistics! Another point to note: even though the IE80's forward projection is on the larger side, the more appropriately placed instruments of the T1 Live! actually make it feel like the soundstage has a near 180 degree spread rather than an obtuse angle of the IE80.

- The IEMs are all about total immersion instead of detail nitpicking, and thus not the best when it comes to presenting micro details, even though the clarity of the midrange is really good.

Another thing I'd like to say is that inserting these IEMs correctly can be quite a handful as a lot of times I thought I was doing properly, I was not. Apparently after inserting the tips onto the canals, I almost have to bend the flaps of my ears forward in order to literally "wrap" the earpieces inside my flap whilst at the same time pushing them further into the canals. I was getting some discomfort at first due to incorrect fit, but once they are in properly they are supremely comfortable and sound the way they are supposed to. I do notice that loose/improper fit can cause the bass response to drown while making the midrange much more ear piercing.

Thanks a lot to average_joe for reviewing them and pointing me to them. I think at 700 pounds they'd be quite good, but with Boot's discount they are just a steal.
Quote:

Good point on the sources...they can make a world of difference.  Great to hear you have a portable that rivals your home rig and also good to know your experience mirrors mine.  

Hmm I guess a source upgrade might be what I'm aiming for now. Was eyeing the DX100 until I realised how financially deprived I had become. I'd probably try to get an Arrow 4G and pair it with my Walkman Z1050 for now. Not the best it could be though, but probably the best I could afford atm
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #82 of 222
Great reports folks, thank you!

Sorry to hear mark_h's had to go back, but I hope ACS will come good for you soon.

Just to add to the source discussions: my ACS T1 work great with either my home or mobile setups, though with my mobile setup, for the MP3 player they need EQ'd a little to beef up the bass impact. My MP3 is this Sony Walkman: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009I4LKJ4/.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #84 of 222
Hi there, I am from Singapore and had been using my T1 for more than 2 years. I had just shipped back to ACS UK for upgrading to the new T1 also due to both my old T1 cable rubber tear off near the ear piece as seen in picture :

Anyway, can I check with u guys is there any sound difference between the new T1 and the T1 live ?
As what I check with the guys at Jaben Singapore, they told me they are the same except the only extra build in mic for T1 live.

Thanks 
smile.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #86 of 222
Quote:
The new T1/T1 Live! uses a different crossover from what I recall, but I am not sur of the changes.

Thanks, I had send an email to ACS to check with them..........................
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #87 of 222
Jeremy - they will tell you that of course the Live! is a bit better than the Classic, and it's worth getting. It's hard to tell though.... I'd say the best thing is to trust average_joe.

Remember that the Live!s were produced in response to a need for musical performers to hear the sound (via the microphone & ambient belt) as well as protect their hearing.

Having said that, I got the Live!, despite not being a musician, and I don't regret it. At this price it's better to immediately stop investigating if they are the right choice after the money has left your credit card!

Jan 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #88 of 222
Thanks but the T1 live got a build in mic and I think I don't quite like that feature.

Anyway, I had emailed ACS and this is the reply from them.

The only difference between the T1 Live! and the T1 is that the Live! series have the ambient microphones in. Everything else is the same.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #89 of 222
Quote:
Thanks but the T1 live got a build in mic and I think I don't quite like that feature.
Anyway, I had emailed ACS and this is the reply from them.
The only difference between the T1 Live! and the T1 is that the Live! series have the ambient microphones in. Everything else is the same.
Thanks.

There is one other difference, and it's that the T1 costs less than the T1 Live
tongue_smile.gif
. I personally went for the T1 to save a a bit of cash and because I would never use the microphone feature of the T1 Live, which is therefore just another thing to go wrong for no added value.

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #90 of 222
There is one other difference, and it's that the T1 costs less than the T1 Live :tongue_smile: . I personally went for the T1 to save a a bit of cash and because I would never use the microphone feature of the T1 Live, which is therefore just another thing to go wrong for no added value.

Now waiting patiently for it's return.

Just wondering how much better is the new T1.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back