ACS T1 Live! Custom IEM Review: Silicone for the Big Stage
Dec 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #61 of 222
Quote:

- Much livelier vocals, especially female vocals with a stunning sense of realism. In fact, vocals are so prominent, leading to the feeling that bass is actually slightly lacking in quantity.

I'm still burning them in. Will post more impressions once I have got 100 hours on them.

This has been my experience so far, the bass is all there but it sits back in the spectrum and is overshadowed sometimes by the mid-range but these frequencies aren't only vocal and I find that it brings elements of the music to the fore that shouldn't be there, i.e. plectrums striking strings etc. My T1's are ruthlessly revealing at about 100 hours, if there is something in the mix you are going to hear it, for better or worse, and this can be really tiring at times. Personally I think the bass is underrepresented in this version of the T1 and I have discussed this with ACS who are without doubt the most helpful people I have encountered in the audio industry this far! They make Ultimate Ears customs department look amateurish by comparison. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #63 of 222
Quote:
I posted my impressions in the other thread, so I'll just echo them here briefly:

- As opposed to the IE80's "flat oval" soundstage, the T1 Live!'s presentation is that of a rounder circle, meaning less forward projection with a lot more added depth. Imaging is more coherent along with added airiness. Pairing it with the Clip+ reveals this, while the Studio V seems to distort the shape by adding excess width.

- Much livelier vocals, especially female vocals with a stunning sense of realism. In fact, vocals are so prominent, leading to the feeling that bass is actually slightly lacking in quantity.

I'm still burning them in. Will post more impressions once I have got 100 hours on them.

I can see why the bass would seem lacking coming from the IE80 as the mids are a bit laid back and there is big bass.  The T1 is natural and organic, giving a very realistic recreation of presentations and I find the bass balanced with the rest of the spectrum considering the presentation.

Keep the impressions coming!

Quote:

This has been my experience so far, the bass is all there but it sits back in the spectrum and is overshadowed sometimes by the mid-range but these frequencies aren't only vocal and I find that it brings elements of the music to the fore that shouldn't be there, i.e. plectrums striking strings etc. My T1's are ruthlessly revealing at about 100 hours, if there is something in the mix you are going to hear it, for better or worse, and this can be really tiring at times. Personally I think the bass is underrepresented in this version of the T1 and I have discussed this with ACS who are without doubt the most helpful people I have encountered in the audio industry this far! They make Ultimate Ears customs department look amateurish by comparison. 

What did ACS say when you contacted them?  I wonder how different, it at all, your T1 is from mine.  What source are you using?

As far as the ruthless revealing, there are much more revealing CIEMs, but that is a characteristic of balanced armatures with a combination of the presentation.  How do you think the seal is, and have you used any ear lubricant to help with the seal?  That may improve the bass response, although it will naturally happen with extended use.

Dec 29, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #64 of 222
Quote:

What did ACS say when you contacted them?  I wonder how different, it at all, your T1 is from mine.  What source are you using?

As far as the ruthless revealing, there are much more revealing CIEMs, but that is a characteristic of balanced armatures with a combination of the presentation.  How do you think the seal is, and have you used any ear lubricant to help with the seal?  That may improve the bass response, although it will naturally happen with extended use.

I am gauging them when compared to ATC SCM150 ASL monitors, my er4s or stax 4070 from various sources and amplification, Seal is good, bass is not. While comparisons are helpful and I have done many, the iem's should stand on their own as balanced and musical, they currently don't. ACS are swapping a cap on the crossover to allow more power to the bass armature. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #65 of 222
Wow, the bass is less than the ER4?  That is not how mine sound; it would seem they retuned the crossover.  Bass on mine is what I would call balanced and about on par with the IERM.  Good to hear they will be fixing it for you.

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #66 of 222
The bass on mine are coming nicely after 75+ hours of burn in...Smooth across the range and no hump....

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #67 of 222
Quote:
The bass on mine are coming nicely after 75+ hours of burn in...Smooth across the range and no hump....

Good to know. Interesting how your experience is very different than mark_h's.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #68 of 222
I wonder how different they are? I assumed a basically neutral presentation. That is what I am getting...The bass is clear and solid, but not overstated or overly emphasized. Mids and highs have smoothed out nicely. I just keep them rolling on the MacMini 24X7 through Amarra and the lossless AIFF collection in rotation when I am not using them. I should be up over 200+ on them by the time I go back on the road next week.

BTW, Adam Rhodes, the US sales Manager, e-mailed from his vacation back home in England to see how they were doing for me. He made sure I had them by Christmas. Pretty amazing service!

Dec 30, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #69 of 222
Quote:
I wonder how different they are? I assumed a basically neutral presentation. That is what I am getting...The bass is clear and solid, but not overstated or overly emphasized. Mids and highs have smoothed out nicely. I just keep them rolling on the MacMini 24X7 through Amarra and the lossless AIFF collection in rotation when I am not using them. I should be up over 200+ on them by the time I go back on the road next week.

BTW, Adam Rhodes, the US sales Manager, e-mailed from his vacation back home in England to see how they were doing for me. He made sure I had them by Christmas. Pretty amazing service!

Maybe it is just a difference in perspective, but considering the ER4 has more bass per mark_h, it doesn't sound like it.  

Great to hear about your experience.  The CS is great, especially considering the size of the company.

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #70 of 222
Hi Guys, I'm Adam from ACS USA. I have been a viewer of the forum for a few years now and I thought I'd create a profile so you guys can get in touch with me to ask any questions or just to chat. I've worked for ACS UK for the last 3/4 years and just recently moved out to the States to work on our business this side of the pond. We've opened up a new office and lab at SIR studios in midtown Manhattan, which means we're able to work with top musicians every day and they can come upstairs to our office to listen to samples, have their impressions taken and product made right here. Everything is made here too, nothing gets sent off which means our turnaround time is nice and quick! Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and let you know what's been happening at ACS. 

Enjoy tonight, happy new year!

Adam / ACS

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #71 of 222
This is why i think there may be something wrong with mine because what I am hearing goes against everything i have read here and elsewhere?

Jan 1, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #72 of 222
Quote:
Hi Guys, I'm Adam from ACS USA. I have been a viewer of the forum for a few years now and I thought I'd create a profile so you guys can get in touch with me to ask any questions or just to chat. I've worked for ACS UK for the last 3/4 years and just recently moved out to the States to work on our business this side of the pond. We've opened up a new office and lab at SIR studios in midtown Manhattan, which means we're able to work with top musicians every day and they can come upstairs to our office to listen to samples, have their impressions taken and product made right here. Everything is made here too, nothing gets sent off which means our turnaround time is nice and quick! Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and let you know what's been happening at ACS. 

Enjoy tonight, happy new year!

Adam / ACS

Happy New Year Adam, great to see you post in the thread!  Welcome to this side of the pond and nice to know about your SIR office.  All of my experiences and everything I have heard about ACS makes me think you guys are a class act!

Quote:
This is why i think there may be something wrong with mine because what I am hearing goes against everything i have read here and elsewhere?

Got ya, and looking forward to hearing your results.

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #73 of 222
Hi Adam, here's a question I've been wanting to ask someone from ACS about: We all know that silicone does offer superior protection against knocks and bumps compared to acrylic does, but is there any chance for us T1 users to accidentally damage the drivers inside by normally removing the earpieces and pushing them inside our ear? Would the flexibility of silicone gradually transmit those little amounts of force and accumulate them up to the point where the drivers would eventually get busted?

Btw, happy new year folks. Thanks to my T1 Live! I was able to hold myself back from going out and getting wasted last night last night. Quite the special feeling having them in my ears while watching the new year fireworks in the balcony. Was having the best or...I mean eargasm ever 
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #74 of 222
Hi Adam,
At the midtown location, Are they offering Custom eartips there as well? Do they still offer ear tips for westone?
What's the cost for the impression and the eartip?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #75 of 222
OK... I am up to over 150 hours of burn in on the T1's... a couple of observations:

1st. These sound better on my HP-P1 Fostex than on my Decware CSP2+ Tube amp....
rolleyes.gif
  This is the first time I have had that happen. Someone like SS better it appears. The bass is much more pronounced even on low gain setting.

My portable rig is an IPC 7G>Toxic Cable Silver Poison LOD>HP-P1>T1. It is a different sound but in terms of that "Quality" PRaT thing it rivals my home rig. Nice! Especially since I am on the road as much as I am home. (Out again tomorrow early for 7 of the next 9 nights).

All files are AIFF lossless ripped by me here via iTunes. The IPC only has 3000 songs on it with 160 GB of storage.

2nd....Mark_h, has had some bass problems with his T1's I did too when using the iPhone 5 alone. I bumped the bass as much as the EQ would allow and it was still barely adequate. The iPhone is clearly weak on bass. On the HP-P1 I get solid bass. Not overbearing or Basshead style, but as it should be. I am listening to a good bass album now, Steely Dan's Two Against Nature. The song Jack of Speed has a nice clean bass line and it is good! Perhaps part of the bass challenge with the T1's is the same as so many Headphone issues...Synergy. The T1's LOVE the HP-P1....

As I write this up comes Cousin Dupree....Nice bass groove. Tight deep and powerful. We have a keeper!

---I just re-read the long review that Average_Joe has done on the T1 and it looks like my experience mirrors his. Low end DAP's are not sufficient. High end DAC/Amps feed the fire with the T1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back