ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Dec 11, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #1,141 of 1,234
You are "allowed" to change cables... It just seems to have been designed in such a way that it isn't obvious how it's done. The connector is INSIDE the body of the headphone... You do it blindly. They made a YouTube instructional video on doing it, but I couldn't get it to work Wish they had used mmcx or 2 pin like everyone else, but, no ..

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #1,142 of 1,234
You are "allowed" to change cables... It just seems to have been designed in such a way that it isn't obvious how it's done. The connector is INSIDE the body of the headphone... You do it blindly. They made a YouTube instructional video on doing it, but I couldn't get it to work Wish they had used mmcx or 2 pin like everyone else, but, no ..

I changed the cable without any problem. I totally I agree though, the connctors are weird and very uncommon. ooph.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,143 of 1,234
@yoghurtlidlicker
I admit to being challenged in the fine motor coordination department (or, in the vernacular, a "klutz"). Probably many, if not most, would not have a problem with them. I found them maddening!

(the Encore also had proprietary connectors, I believe. This eliminates cable rolling)

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #1,145 of 1,234
I suppose in theory it's more sturdy, since it is "protected" from the outside world, being inside the shells .But I sleep with them in .. And it did disconnect or otherwise stop working, whence my troubles began (until that point, I was very happy with them).

Dec 24, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #1,146 of 1,234
Hey guys! I got the chance to listen to the Emotion (which I'm guessing replaces the Encore as flagship...?) during my most recent trip to Japan. Here's an excerpt of my impressions from my e-earphone article on TheHeadphoneList.com. Cheers! :D

ACS Custom Emotion

The Emotion – next to FlipEars’ Axis – was the most surprising IEM I heard during my trip. The 5-driver flagship reminds me heavily of the Empire Ears Phantom throughout the upper-mids and treble. A 2-3kHz rise gives the Emotion intimate, rich and full-bodied vocals, while a 6kHz peak is responsible for articulation. Both imbue a roundedness and energy to the final timbre, which comes across immersive, natural and realistic – an organic standout.

Instruments are well-balanced and well-separated, whilst at the same time sporting realistic size. They fill pockets of the stage as resonant, bloomy notes, rather than compact packages of data as is usually the case with more hi-fi, detail-driven in-ears. However, the Emotion isn’t as shelved down past 8-10kHz as the Phantom is. There’s a healthy amount of air there, as well as crispness for hi-hats and snare drums. The Emotion comes across as the brighter – more neutral – of the two as a result, but the linearity of its treble preserves tonal realism, coherence and finesse without compromise.

Another contributor to this is a slightly calmer mid-bass. Kick drums for example are a touch clearer and skin-focused than warm or bloomy. But, the bass region as a whole has an immensely natural tone; soft on the ear and densified, yet authoritative, defined and well-layered all the same. This is an IEM that I can clearly see Phantom lovers absolutely adoring. Perhaps, even the Phantom’s detractors who ask for a touch more treble/less bass will find the Emotion as a viable alternative as well. As a smooth, engaging, natural monitor, I’ve hardly heard better throughout all of Japan.

EE-37 copy.jpg

Dec 24, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,147 of 1,234
Hey, @Deezel177, fancy meeting you in these parts!
I agree sonically on the Emotions, have a custom (and a custom Phantom). Haven't done had to head between them (if you go back in this thread you can read my sad acs tale), and I'm approved to send them back once more to get a refit (L ear hurts after a half hour or so). Second time for these... Traded in the Encore for them those went back more times than I can remember, until I finally gave up (they never fit or sounded right...JELT panned them in his roundup). But I do find them a bit more engaging than the Phantom (though they both are fine sounding). In terms of comfort/fit though, it's not even close I can forget I'm wearing the Phantoms ... Even when they fit well, the Emotion make their presence known. I do suspect they isolate better (haven't been able to directly test for the above reasons, but there's just more of them there, and my impression is I hear less of the outside world in them). I think I'll really like them if everything finally comes together (been dragging my feet on sending them back, like them until my left ear is in pain. .
(acs has been very responsive to my many issues, though things generally haven't been successfully resolved when I get them back)

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #1,148 of 1,234
I got mine a couple of months ago. They went back three times before the fit was right and even then I felt that the fit wasn't perfect.

However, I've had custom sleeves made by acs for universals (shure se535's and westone um3x's) before so I kept them the third time because of two observations regarding fit that seem to be borne out by past experience.

Firstly the lacquer they use wears off so they become less sticky and therefore much easier to insert and don't get "stuck" (ie can move around slightly) in your ear.

Secondly, my old sleeves have definitely shrunk over time (and/or my ears have grown) and i think that this shrinkage starts as soon as they are made as you can smell the solvent for a couple of weeks at least after they are made.

Now, despite my final reservations about fit but being exhausted by continually sending them back, they have settled down nicely in my ears and are very comfortable.

The bottom line is that if you can persevere with acs (who are very accommodating) to get a fit that you are happy with i think that like me you will find that fit improves more over time.

Regarding the sound i can only say that these blow my westone um pro 50's out of the water in every respect.

I hope that's helpful.

Dec 24, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,149 of 1,234
Hey, @Deezel177, fancy meeting you in these parts!
I agree sonically on the Emotions, have a custom (and a custom Phantom). Haven't done had to head between them (if you go back in this thread you can read my sad acs tale), and I'm approved to send them back once more to get a refit (L ear hurts after a half hour or so). Second time for these... Traded in the Encore for them those went back more times than I can remember, until I finally gave up (they never fit or sounded right...JELT panned them in his roundup). But I do find them a bit more engaging than the Phantom (though they both are fine sounding). In terms of comfort/fit though, it's not even close I can forget I'm wearing the Phantoms ... Even when they fit well, the Emotion make their presence known. I do suspect they isolate better (haven't been able to directly test for the above reasons, but there's just more of them there, and my impression is I hear less of the outside world in them). I think I'll really like them if everything finally comes together (been dragging my feet on sending them back, like them until my left ear is in pain. .
(acs has been very responsive to my many issues, though things generally haven't been successfully resolved when I get them back)

Yeah, I skimmed through it a while back - sounds like some journey. :D Well, one can only hope they improve over time. If not, then the universal's always an option.

Dec 24, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #1,150 of 1,234
I've been trying to hold off sending them back, hoping they stop hurting. So far, no improvement over about 2 months (though I was away for a month, so really only used it for a month, then started again on the past few days) I usually fall asleep with an iem in my ears .. Works great with the Phantom, not doable so far with the Emotions. Still trying to hold off returning them, though I'm approved to send them back. Tried them today on my dog walk (to see if the pain was only from laying down on them and putting extra pressure on them. It took about a half hour, then my left ear started hurting again.

Dec 25, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #1,151 of 1,234
I've been trying to hold off sending them back, hoping they stop hurting. So far, no improvement over about 2 months (though I was away for a month, so really only used it for a month, then started again on the past few days) I usually fall asleep with an iem in my ears .. Works great with the Phantom, not doable so far with the Emotions. Still trying to hold off returning them, though I'm approved to send them back. Tried them today on my dog walk (to see if the pain was only from laying down on them and putting extra pressure on them. It took about a half hour, then my left ear started hurting again.

That's spookily similar to my own experience right down to the dog walks!

I think you should send them back.

Frustrating i know.

I fall asleep with mine in now.

Dec 26, 2018 at 4:18 AM Post #1,152 of 1,234
May 20, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #1,153 of 1,234
to all guys using these Emotion universal, which tips do you use? and what is your DAP?
Just bought a brand new set, they are shipped with foams only, and I always had an issue with foams, they simply don't stay in my ears, never. So I'm using Spiral dots for the moment, going for 1 or 2 sizes above what I'm using in general (because nozzle is rather short) , that's the best fit I could get but out of the box I don't get the qualities you guys were talking about. So I wonder if foams are just mandatory or if I need to burn in my set or if I should try a more powerful DAP than my ZX300 single ended.
Let's say I'm a bit disappointed for now. Comfort is great though

May 21, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,154 of 1,234
My Encores went back like 2 times, then Emotion came out and i upgraded them using same impressions they had, sent them back once more, now fit is perfect, so yeah, perseverance pays back here.
Sound is quality, acoustic guitars and voices, but also surprisingly good with electronic music.
I something take them out and get surprised how good they sound, tho BAs are not my thing for a long time,bass is actually nicely present

Jul 14, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #1,155 of 1,234
Still having trouble with these. Had to send them back again because I was having trouble connecting the cables, and, because I repeatedly connected, they disconnected, over and over, the opening the cables goes in tore. They fixed then, sent then back. They are still slightly uncomfortable, but getting better over time (native they do get a bit smaller over time). But, I just can't get the hang of these cables. You connect blindly (I have green shells, you can't see inside, and the connector is inside the shell. Is have opted for clear is if I knew this). I get the cables to connect, but not securely, sound jiggles one and off, I have to keep jiggling our reconnecting them for sound, then the next time I use then, I have to reconnect them once more. I'm quite disgusted with the whole matter (I like them when they DO function properly, but the frustration level is mounting. I spent a good amount of money with acs. Not happy. What kind of crazy design has you blindly connect cables (and not Havre it work easily)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back