ACS Encore Studio New 5 Driver CIEM!
Mar 4, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #1,127 of 1,234
Hi guys - hoping someone can help me as I've just listed my Encore in the FS forum and someone has asked me whether they can be re-shelled.

I had assumed they could but now not sure so does anyone know the re-shell options (if any) for this ciem?

FWIW I actually really liked the sound of the Encore although agree on the recessed highs - mine actually sounded better after sending them back for a re-shell and asking if they could do something to improve treble presence. Anyways, I now have the Vega and while Encore wins the bass battle, the Vega still has great bass and more prominent highs so decided to stick with just one iem (for now at least).

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,128 of 1,234
Finally heard back on my Encores... I'm told they were damaged, and they are out of warranty. Repair is really expensive, but as this is the second acs headphone (actually the 3rd, I traded up to the Encore) I've bought, they'll sell me an Emotion at a discount. Considering doing it, though I can't find much on line about them. Man.....

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #1,129 of 1,234
Finally heard back on my Encores... I'm told they were damaged, and they are out of warranty. Repair is really expensive, but as this is the second acs headphone (actually the 3rd, I traded up to the Encore) I've bought, they'll sell me an Emotion at a discount. Considering doing it, though I can't find much on line about them. Man.....

I had universal Emotion and loved them... I actually ordered customs.
I should get them in 2 weeks.

Jul 1, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,130 of 1,234
Good to hear, I did OK getting them (customs). Not sure how long it will take, but hopefully things go better than they did with the Encore ..

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:17 PM Post #1,132 of 1,234
I don't know about the Engage, had to send my Emotion back had trouble with the cable connections. These are the strangest cables I've ever used (not that I'm such an expert.. ). But, they are designed to connect INSIDE the headphones... You blindly pot the connector in at a certain angle to connect them. Didn't work well on my end, couldn't get them to connect. Now, when I get them back, I'll be really hesitant to change them (say, to balanced cables). Probably better to just go with fixed cables in this case.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #1,133 of 1,234
Thank you doctor, do you think it's just issue that it's more difficult to plug it in?
Once it will be plugged in, do you think it will hold place firmly, possibly sturdier than 2-pin?

Because I'm not gonna change the cable until it breaks.

Also how is the silicone compared to other CIEM?
I read somewhere that ACS uses 40 shore silicone, which is very very soft compared to more typical 70 shore silicone. Does it feel durable enough despite being so soft?

Maybe that's why they use this connector option, MMCX wouldn't hold properly inside 40 shore silicone.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #1,134 of 1,234
Just wanted to point out that ACS goes above and beyond what might be expected from a "regular" company.

I sent my T1s for repair and they solved an ensuing problem with great class and astonishing customer care. When buying customs that's something one must never forget. After sale service is crucial.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #1,135 of 1,234
ACS in the U.S. or in the U.K.?
I go with ACS through Earcare in France and that was a complete disaster 2 times, then I gave up and asked to Custom Art (great company!) to reshell them in acrylic filled with silicon.

Nov 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #1,136 of 1,234
Nov 9, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #1,137 of 1,234
@pdanek
sorry to get back after so long-work/home has been really hectic.
I didn't change the cable on the Emotion, I just started to get intermittent sound through 1 side, then the sound on that side stopped. I then had to try to reconnect the cable, thinking it came loose, but I couldn't get it to reconnect. acs has a video on doing this, which I watched over and over, but just couldn't get it to connect. I actually have a balanced cable that I was considering changing to (I got it with a single ended cable), but after this episode, I'd be afraid to disconnect it if it's working.
I tend to fall asleep with the headphones in, that may have caused the cable to disconnect on the right side. I haven't had other silicon iem's to compare it to, except the Encore.
They are soft and pretty comfortable-I had the Encore previously, was never able to get a good fit/seal despite sending it back and going back to acs Manhattan to get new molds repeatedly; these worked out better on that end. acs has mostly been very accommodating with problems (but never actually SOLVED my Encore problems). I eventually just gave up on them, then thought I'd contact them again, see if I can get something on my investment, and they offered me a discount on the Emotion, which I went for. The only other ciem I have is an Empire Ear Phantom, which is a whole other animal...much smaller, lighter, thinner. Maybe a bit more comfortable (though I didn't find the Emotion to be uncomfortable, was able to sleep with them in).
My Emotion went to their service department, which is in California. They couldn't tell me what the problem was, but they decided to rebuild it, which is what I'm waiting for now.

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #1,139 of 1,234
@pdanek
They did come back about a month ago or so... The connection issue was resolved (but I'm still not sure how it works, and I'm afraid to remove the cable to change to balanced cables which I have ). I think they do sound better than the Encore, actually like them a lot. But, it seems nothing ever goes smoothly between me and acs. The left side of the reshelled Emotions is hurting my ear to the point I have to take them out after a short while. I tried it a few weeks, then tried to contact acs when it didn't improve. The salesperson I dealt with told me to email acs in California which I did, but never heard back It happened that I was going away for 3 weeks so I'm waiting until I get home in a week to try and contact them again.
So there you have the current status/tale of woe. .

Dec 11, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,140 of 1,234
@doctorjazz
Oh damn, that's some scary stories :)

But I suggest you definitely try swapping to balanced cable before sending them back for refit, to see how the connection holds.
It's not acceptable that you're not allowed to change the cable once in a while and should be definitely considered as a reason for warranty claim if it breaks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back